Retrofitting powered Tailgate

Hello.
I joined this forum a while ago just for this thread. I have T5 GP from year 2014, and planned to do this since bought it 1.5 year ago.
And now I'm on it. Ordered stuff week and half ago and I've started receiving them. :waving:
Controller bought via Ebay, seller hasn't even send it yet. :mad: 185,70€
Beeper also via Ebay, only part from China. :cool: 6€
Eletric drives via Allegro, was lot cheaper than ones founded via Ebay. 344,97 €
Wiring loom from K-Eletronic, because cheaper than Kufatec's. 170 €
But the manual is only in German and loom doesn't have wires for drivers door switch. Bummer.
Other bits and pieces from Online-Teile. 198,42 €
Missed trim for drivers door switch from Online-Teile's order, so had to pick it up from local dealer. ~12€

Links not affiliated, prices includes VAT and postage fees, I'm living in Finland.

Meeting trustworth mechanic this week to make a plan what need to do and so. I don't have place nor proper tools. Yes, I've installed towbar in the yard and didn't like it.
Unfortunately, the hinges are different colours and my vehicle is white. I think they need to be repainted, otherwise my perfectionism won't let me sleep.

Let's see what happens.

IMG_20230124_222407.jpg

@muppis good luck! I am still not finished with mine :cry: main reason being that the drives snapped out from the door. I have figured a solution just 2 weeks ago sohoping to restart the project in the next weeks.
Are you keeping the old tailgate?

T5(2010-2015) tailgate has a different inner side "moulding" comparing with a T6. Basically T5(2010-2015) has enough room for the electric rams so no modification to the tailgate itself is required. Customised bottom brackets, ball studs, hinges and job done.

Thank you @eugene.
Yes, my plan is keep as original as possible. I was flipping the coin many times do I order one of aftermarket sets mentioned here many times or do I go the hard way. I chose latter one.
@Robert so I've read in this thread but I'm pretty skeptical until I see for myself.:rolleyes:
I still need find a place where to make those brackets.

Did I mention I'm a bit of a perfectionist? And to adding to that, I'm after serviceability.
That caused me to order set of connectors. Volkswagen uses these in their own wiring harness for tow bar, when connecting control module to CAN bus. I can try take picture from the connector, but it's close to BCM so it's quite hard to reach and take a picture from it.
So, when 3rd party harness just has loose ends, why not to follow same approach as VW does. I'm not going to mess around with a soldering iron in the middle of cables when I can sit at a table and make proper connectors.

Next step to me is crimp those connectors and test electrically that everything works. Then do the cabling and then try actual installation of drives.

Btw, I didn't find any pictures or threads that someone has did this to T5. Am I a hapless seeker or is there anyone done this after all? T5 seems to have different mounting for pumps at the body end. Ball studs are attached directly into body, there is no any brackets like T6 has.

So do these kits have a safety function as in opening into a wall or closing on someone’s head etc….?

I have the manual from Hansshow for the T5 and the T6 on PDF, if anyone is interested, don't know if it can be uploaded or something.
Could you upload this please? or just tell me which wire you sliced into for the canbus keyfob?
I have everything else working 6months ago but lost my printed instructions.

The photos below show electric rams mounted on a custom made bottom brackets on a T5(2010-2015) --> AKA T5.1 or T5.2 .
View attachment 186343

Thanks for this photos! I've figured out how to mount the brackets and cut the rear lights. The custom brackets itself will be ready soon.

One more question to @Robert
I want to leave my T5.1 tailgate too, and it seems to me that T5.1 hinges (7H0827302D 7H0827301D) will fit and not required to be replaced for T6 ones (7E5827302A 7E5827301A)
T5/T6 hinges are different about he holes, photo attached
Am I right about the hinges (can leave mine) or it is necessary to drill the holes at 7E5 hinges for my tailgate?

hinges.jpg

Also noticed that T6 (7E0) hinge is shoter than mine 7H0
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-15 at 20.32.27.jpeg

Didn't find comparsion photos between 7H0 and 7H5 hinges yet
Not really sure it will fit T5.1 tailgate and if it is necessary to replace them for 7H5.
Any hints highly appreciated, thx

Last edited:
Neither of those hinges look like powered tailgate hinges. On my T6 powered tailgate the pivot point of the hinge is set back.

01140CA4-E422-450E-B1AF-7FC17A264410.jpeg

Thanks @Deaky! On your photo 7E5827301A (left) 7E5827302A (right), that's correct?

Seems to me that holes on both hinges should be re-drilled to fit T5.1 tailgate anyway (like 7H0 and 7E0 compared on my previous photo).
I've ordered 7E5 already and awaiting for the parcel to compare them with mine stock hinges. In bad scenario I'm ready to weld a lack piece of metall to them and re-drill the holes like it was on 7H0.

I wonder if the hinges replacement really necessary for T5.1 tailgate retrofit with original electric rams or I can leave mine 7H0 for that purpose.
I know it works for chineese electric tailgate kit (also known as Inventcar manufacturer in my country), it is already installed on my van with 7H0 hinges. Everything works in general, but chineese control unit glitches sometimes badly, so I'm preparing to install original one with PDC communication.

Regards

Last edited:
Received a pair of T6 hinges for electric tailgate.
As expected they don't fit my T5.1 tailgate.
Now waiting for Kufatec's cabling set. And I'm almost ready for install.

Didn't find exact info about hinges for T5.1's rear door, so will try to leave my old hinges and try lifting with them first.
Or make attemp to redrill the hinges for my tailgate bolts

2023-05-23 14-42-04.JPG

2023-05-23 14-42-26.JPG

2023-05-23 14-43-02.JPG

Electric tailgate hinges have a slight shift in the pivot point compared to the standard ones. They provide a bit of advantage to the electric drives to make the initial tailgate opening a bit easier but I am convinced that the electric tailgate will work regardless of the hinge type.

Hello, thanks for explain. The brackets are done and powder painted.
Didn't find any holes on a body for them

2023-05-25 22-21-50.JPG

Here's a question... How would someone fair if they've also swapped their barn doors to tailgate and added the bottom bracket kit:

VW T5 T6 Tailgate Conversion Kit on Ebay

Just seeing that most add a bracket when not using the correct tailgate, what is the need for the bracket exactly?

The OEM bracket is huge and would require a substantial amount of material removing from the tailgate otherwise it would not close. Replacing the OEM bracket with a custom home made one means the power ram is held closer to the body of the van so you only need to make a small modification to the tailgate.

Back