[Resolved] T6 Oil level too high

Most likely fuel dilution, 1cm above max’ is a lot IMO.
Use the Search function with ‘fuel dilution‘ and you’ll see a few results, it is highly detrimental to the engine / turbocharger life.
You are under warranty, I would not drive it until it has been recovered and had an engine oil / filter change at VW cost. You could try VW Assist in the first instance.
Many thanks DXX - I’ll get in touch with VW Assist in the morning

Update - VW Swindon changed the oil and updated the software after the AA drained oil level back to 3/4. Took a lot of arguing to get them to do the work under warranty, but eventually did it for free. They said it was due to lots of short journeys so the oil temp doesn’t get hot enough to burn diesel off the pistons.

2 days and about 50 miles later and the bloody oil level is high again… AA man drains off enough so I can get home and tells me there’s a serious problem with the engine. I guarantee VW will try to fob me off with more BS, but I’ll be giving them both barrels. These vans are fraught with issues… German engineering ain’t what it used to be. Last VW I’ll ever buy (only ever had problems with them and the customer service is shocking).

So after having my van back and giving it a full diagnostics (and driven it on the M4 for 80 miles) they’ve concluded that there’s nothing wrong with it! The software update apparently takes 1000 miles to ‘kick in’ so I guess I’d better do an aimless trip to Inverness and back. I’ve given up being annoyed - there’s clearly a fundamental design fault with these engines (the way they regen) so I can’t blame the dealer for being unable to solve the problem. I’ve since watched a good video on YouTube from a guy with the same ongoing problems - he carries with him an oil syringe at all times and has some good tips for determining when the van is performing a regeneration…

Get yourself an oil analysis kit, make sure you enter the data correctly and timestamp video the procedure showing the VIN, milage and registration plate.
You will then have a record of any oil contamination.
You will need a small syringe and some plastic tubing to fit in the dipstick tube to reach to the sump (Ebay)
Take the sample with hot oil and engine stopped.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if a T6 has a 'too much oil' warning light? Assuming the regens are done in the same way is there a possibility that T6's are getting diluted oil but without a warning light it wouldn't flag it up to the driver? Off to check my oil level now :oops:

Does anyone know if a T6 has a 'too much oil' warning light? Assuming the regens are done in the same way is there a possibility that T6's are getting diluted oil but without a warning light it wouldn't flag it up to the driver? Off to check my oil level now :oops:
Always a good idea to regularly check the oil level and visual condition. Lights and bells are usually activated well after action should have been taken.
It is possible to have fuel dilution and not have a raised oil level if the engine is consuming oil.
Oil analysis is the only 100% guaranteed way to determine this.

Thanks DXX. I’ve picked it up again and we’ll see what happens. In the meantime, I’d better get myself some oil testing kit so I can see the results myself (rather than trusting anything the dealer tells me). I’m hopeful that I’m just paranoid about it continuing to happen - both mine and my wife’s confidence in the van is pretty low and she’s now scared to drive it. I’ll be monitoring the oil level weekly… in fact I checked it as soon as I got home and they’ve set the level just over half way within the hatched area. In an ideal world I guess it should be just a shade under max, but at least this gives me the ability to clearly see if it goes up or down.

Reactions: DXX
So after having my van back and giving it a full diagnostics (and driven it on the M4 for 80 miles) they’ve concluded that there’s nothing wrong with it! The software update apparently takes 1000 miles to ‘kick in’ so I guess I’d better do an aimless trip to Inverness and back. I’ve given up being annoyed - there’s clearly a fundamental design fault with these engines (the way they regen) so I can’t blame the dealer for being unable to solve the problem. I’ve since watched a good video on YouTube from a guy with the same ongoing problems - he carries with him an oil syringe at all times and has some good tips for determining when the van is performing a regeneration…

Great video, glad I took the time to watch it. Now just need to remember to do the checks before turning the engine off.

I had this too this weekend past. I was going over the Mendip hills, up and down really steep ones, then 5 miles later while on the flat it came up with OIL LEVEL TOO HIGH. It was the first use in a week. The van was serviced and MOT,d within the last 5 month. Now I am concerned. what do I do? I have a 2020 T6, DSG, 150bhp on 19200 miles.

Last edited:
Just checked mine. What should I do
Nothing, quite normal.

I had this too this weekend past. I was going over the Mendip hills, up and down really steep ones, then 5 miles later while on the flat it came up with OIL LEVEL TOO HIGH. It was the first use in a week. The van was serviced and MOT,d within the last 5 month. Now I am concerned. what do I do? I have a 2020 T6, DSG, 150bhp on 19200 miles.

Tony, I wouldn’t worry too much about the oil level being too high…. following my van’s oil level issues, it appears to be less dramatic than first thought. Short, cold drives will mean that failed regens are dumping some fuel into the oil, but the amber warning light still means that it’s safe to drive. Make sure you take it out for an hour’s drive every so often and the oil temp will reach a point so that the fuel is burnt off.

If you notice a strong engine smell and the revs at 1000 rpm at tick over, it’s doing a regen, so let it finish before switching the engine off.

Main thing is to not panic too much. I tied myself in knots thinking the van was buggered, but once you get your head round the fact that Euro6 diesels are little divas, you’ll be fine!!

By the way, thanks for sharing the video about oil expansion. It explains a lot! The sensor is obviously a bit OTT. I’ve got my oil around half way up the dipstick and since then, haven’t had the annoying warning light!

By the way, thanks for sharing the video about oil expansion. It explains a lot! The sensor is obviously a bit OTT. I’ve got my oil around half way up the dipstick and since then, haven’t had the annoying warning light!
Hi @Duncan Disorderly Thank you so much for your reply, I will take her out for a burn on the motorway today.
Defo a little Diva engine. Lol. Thanks once again.

Hi @Duncan Disorderly Thank you so much for your reply, I will take her out for a burn on the motorway today.
Defo a little Diva engine. Lol. Thanks once again.
If only it were that simple. 2% fuel dilution is a concern, 4% is critical.
A ‘burn’ down the motorway will just turn the turbos that much faster on some less than ideal oil.
Let us know how much the oil level drops after the ‘burn’.

If only it were that simple. 2% fuel dilution is a concern, 4% is critical.
A ‘burn’ down the motorway will just turn the turbos that much faster on some less than ideal oil.
Let us know how much the oil level drops after the ‘burn’.
Hi @DXX , thank you for your reply. Ok not a burn, I am a 60 MPH cruise control man myself.
I plan to reduce the Oil level to half on the hatched area on the dipstick then take it out. I will take b4 and after photos and report back to you.
My question is, without spending 45£ a time, how would I know how diluted with fuel my oil is???
Surely as long as you regularly check your oil, ensure you let your vehicle complete its Regen cycle, touch wood it should be ok??

My question is, without spending 45£ a time, how would I know how diluted with fuel my oil is???
You don’t, if you do oil analysis It’s on the report as a %
£45 is about 20min’s labour in a garage as far as I’m aware.

Back