Reduce oil level and Oil dilution

High tick over is obvs sign.
Dash light will only come on when DPF is overfill and not been able to regen.
No software will change how often it regens so this is either a misunderstanding or dealer bullxxxx

Get a Carista (or similar) and monitor soot yourself and trigger a regen when it suits you.

Are you saying VW can change it so it doesn’t do regens unless you are parked up with the engine on?
No, it allows it to regen when parked, but it would still regen on the move as normal. It’s an option from new, I’ve not heard of a retrofit.

Update: my local Vw dealership that has been looking at my van for over 2 years had it in last week and it had over 0.5L of excess liquid in the oil again. They have sent a sample off for analysis and they have given me my van back to drive 600 miles so they can then look at it again.

Still not managed to get anyone from Vw commercial uk to enter the conversation on email or answer any basic questions.

What is in the oil?
If it’s diesel in the oil then it needs changing. And the only way I’m aware it can get in there is if you keep turning it off during a regen, but 0.5l is a lot.

How else can oil level be increased???

I had a JLR product that I had to service every 6 months because of oil dilution, so not just VW’s. We gave up in the end, and embraced 1 x dealer service and 1 x non dealer oil change a year.

Really hope I don’t run into this with the 6.1 as well!
I think the one usual service and the just an oil change at a garage or DIY is the way to go.
Always did that with my vintage cars and they kept going long after many modern things are scrapped.

As for comments about paying for something that isn’t designed for short journeys… no ICE car likes short journeys - they cannot get up to operating temperature and tolerances and pressures vary depending on heat. You could argue it’s a thing with modern engines (it really isn’t) or you could argue people have got lazier over the decades and walk/cycle less (feels more likely). Sure, use it how you want but at least appreciate it’s not ideal operationally and be prepared to service it more.

From reading this, I would certainly want to change the oil if it has been diluted by fuel. To not do so risks excessive engine wear by the sounds of it. So why are dealers just siphoning off the excess?
@Ian Watt, what did AA assist say?
I would angree oil contaminated by fuel needs changing and in fact siphoning it off will only lead to wear rates increasing as the remaining oil/fuel mixture is contaminated further. The dealers that try that one are wither daft or great at making sure you come back to spend more on repairs - either way it’s not good.

I think the one usual service and the just an oil change at a garage or DIY is the way to go.
Always did that with my vintage cars and they kept going long after many modern things are scrapped.

As for comments about paying for something that isn’t designed for short journeys… no ICE car likes short journeys - they cannot get up to operating temperature and tolerances and pressures vary depending on heat. You could argue it’s a thing with modern engines (it really isn’t) or you could argue people have got lazier over the decades and walk/cycle less (feels more likely). Sure, use it how you want but at least appreciate it’s not ideal operationally and be prepared to service it more.

I’ve had a t4 and a t5 and not had this problem doing the same mix of short and long journeys.

From what I can work out the t6.1 does the regens automatically…it pumps more diesel into the engine to get a higher temperature to burn off the adblu for the emissions. This excess diesel can then work its way back into the oil if not all burned off which can be due to be turning off the vehicle.

I would say this is a design fault….why is it trying to do a regenerate when it’s not heated up…surely it would be better to only start the process when the engine is already at the required temperature for the process to take place. Why not have a warning light saying regen in process do not switch off?

To blame a customers driving style or journey time when they’ve had your previous 2 models without any issue seems a bit wrong to me.

My main concern is Vw led me down the garden path waiting for an update to solve the problem….i was one of the first in the first in the uk to get the update and im still getting the problem. When it came back up they said ‘it’s not possible the update has fixed that issue, there must be something else wrong’…..I pointed out if I was one of the first to get the update surely I’d be one of the first to see if it worked or not. The problem for over 2.5 years now I’ve had contamination in my oil which highly likely has increased engine wear and their solution is to blame my driving style, fill the oil to just above minimum rather than half way up (this then take longer for the warning light to come on to reduce oil levels) and they originally told me that the update reduced the number of regens and lowered the sensitivity of the sensor…both which would just increase the time taken for the light to come on.

I’ve now had 5 occasions where 0.5l of diesel is in my oil over the last 2.5 years and I don’t think that’s acceptable

I’ve read on here people are driving round extra miles to get it to over 90 on the temperature every time they drive it or leaving it running for 20 extra minutes before switching it off…cause me crazy but that can’t be right…especially when the problem is something to do with reducing emissions

The problem happens every 4 months so I’d need 3 oil changes a year at £200 plus an oil change and in between those I’ve have oil dilution and increased engine wear…sounds great for a £50k van

There’s other issue like I’m going to Germany this summer for the football and will do 5000 miles but they can’t/wont answer how many miles I can do if the warning light comes on.

With the warranty and roadside assist now expired they are basically trying avoid any responsibility after spending the last 2.5 years not fixing the problem.

I think the reality is that the problem is too costly to fix on this production run of vehicles and they want to avoid that cost

Sounds exactly like my old Range Rover Sport I sold it in the end as 3 or 4 oil changes a year was getting stupidly expensive.

Luckily my t6 is Euro5 so I do t have these issues but I’d never buy a euro6 diesel vehicle again

I have a T6.1 at 3800mls and have noticed the higher than normal tick over and engine cooling fan running after switch off a few days ago. I also have a Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 diesel that also does the same when doing a regen, however for the Insignia there is a mod you can do to have a small led light that comes on when a regen is in progress so avoiding turning off mid regen.

With the Vauxhall when a regen is in progress the heated rear window and heated mirrors are switched on (without the warning light for heated window coming on) and am wondering if this would work the same for the Transporter, am assuming the significance of the heated window coming on is to put more load on the engine I will be checking next time mine does a regen to see if the heated window warms up aswell if it doesn't then obviously won't work for the Transporter and I don't want to experiment with mine yet while still under warranty for obvious reasons.

I have a T6.1 at 3800mls and have noticed the higher than normal tick over and engine cooling fan running after switch off a few days ago. I also have a Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 diesel that also does the same when doing a regen, however for the Insignia there is a mod you can do to have a small led light that comes on when a regen is in progress so avoiding turning off mid regen.

With the Vauxhall when a regen is in progress the heated rear window and heated mirrors are switched on (without the warning light for heated window coming on) and am wondering if this would work the same for the Transporter, am assuming the significance of the heated window coming on is to put more load on the engine I will be checking next time mine does a regen to see if the heated window warms up aswell if it doesn't then obviously won't work for the Transporter and I don't want to experiment with mine yet while still under warranty for obvious reasons.
VW have all the technical wizardry to cheat emissions tests yet can’t work out the regen cycle… a cynic would say they like the idea of selling new engines.

I had the same issues with oil overfill warnings. I was contacted by my dealership as they had also received remote notification of my 'in van' warning appearing, via the internet link from the van (2022 T6.1 Hillside T30 Auto)

I was near to the service interval and so had the oil and filter changed, basically a service a bit earlier than scheduled at 6000 miles, exactly. At least it gave me the peace of mind that I was not running on heavily diluted oil. I had done the usual web trawling to find out as much info as possible and it seemed reasonable that a contributory factor was 'oil expansion'..... Frothing, perhaps? This does not discount the oil dilution with diesel fuel but as stated, may be a contributing factor? I generally cover a ratio of about 70% shorter journeys. I have never noted a regeneration taking place!..... No smell, no higher revs at standstill etc.

From what I had read via the internet and subsequent to discussion with the service centre, we agreed to fill just a halfway up the hashed area of the dipstick (and for me to carry a litre of oil) seemed to take into account the possible expansion issue. (It is most likely worth a mention that the dash overfill warning will clear after the bonnet has been opened..... clear until about a hundred miles has passed and it will trigger once again if the sensor has not reset).

A bit later and after the service as above, I went on a 100 mile trip and the overfill warning appeared yet again..... bear in mind this is a couple of days after the service. Back I went to my service centre and the Master Tech, in consultation with VW, drained the oil completely, switched on the ignition for a half hour, then refilled the oil. This has appeared until now to have reset the oil level warning.... I have not checked the oil as yet (opened the bonnet) because I don't want to reset the overfill warning, delaying another dash warning.

I have covered a few miles with one journey of about 70 miles and have not seen the overfill dash warning yet. Keeping fingers crossed!

The possibility of fuel in the oil does not sit nicely with me.... I will be checking the oil regularly in future, in both hot and cold engine states. my Master Tech at the service centre tells me that it is not a problem as the van engine sensors will advise of a need for (early) oil change if and when it may be needed?

All I can do is keep an eye on things, as time progresses.

Last edited:
I would angree oil contaminated by fuel needs changing and in fact siphoning it off will only lead to wear rates increasing as the remaining oil/fuel mixture is contaminated further. The dealers that try that one are wither daft or great at making sure you come back to spend more on repairs - either way it’s not good.
I’m not an engine guru but here goes… the ‘reduce oil level in workshop’ caption came on on our first journey at 60 miles over a month ago. After some research, a phone call and because the caption disappeared we decided it was fine to return home. It reappeared at 60 miles. VW Assist were called; took out 50% of the excess (dipstick level is now half full/removed 0.6l). Chap said VW may! possibly be working on a fix which could involve a software update. Havent driven 60+ miles since. Will do soon and will re-check oil level. When discussed with the local VW they were not understanding at all and wanted the vehicle in at potentially my expense! The known problem is well above garage level. Not turning off during a regen or having quite a few expensive annual oil changes seem to be the only existing ways to prevent excessive engine wear that will undoubtedly be put down to too many short journeys. Waiting for the caption to return then to VW!

I would recommend an oil change now and get your garage to refill to half way up the dipstick crosshatching. I've not had the same problem pop back up in 12 months running it like that. ( I did have the message come back initially once, but then good as gold).

I would recommend an oil change now and get your garage to refill to half way up the dipstick crosshatching. I've not had the same problem pop back up in 12 months running it like that. ( I did have the message come back initially once, but then good as gold).
Update post VW oil and oil filter change even though not due.

Also had an ECU software upgrade 01 which I believe may only be available in the workshop not necessarily roadside via VW assist;
- checks all vehicle details to determine if it’s required for your vehicle
- TPIs are not applicable to all models even though they are all T6.1 vehicles which is bizarre but unexplained at dealership (maybe a cunning sampling assessment by VW)
- if your vehicle needs this software update then it needs doing/will be done
- the update allows for a slightly higher expansion of oil so the parameters are different
- a forced regeneration was also carried out as the 28mg reading.calof ash was too high / now reduced to 7mg
- paramount that the middle of crosshatch on dipstick is achieved - no lower or higher
- recommended oil change every 10l rather than 20k

All sorted for now and feel much more comfortable about this issue. Highly recommend going to your dealership if you have this issue.
Thanks for the prompt Drive Wayne

I’m not an engine guru but here goes… the ‘reduce oil level in workshop’ caption came on on our first journey at 60 miles over a month ago. After some research, a phone call and because the caption disappeared we decided it was fine to return home. It reappeared at 60 miles. VW Assist were called; took out 50% of the excess (dipstick level is now half full/removed 0.6l). Chap said VW may! possibly be working on a fix which could involve a software update. Havent driven 60+ miles since. Will do soon and will re-check oil level. When discussed with the local VW they were not understanding at all and wanted the vehicle in at potentially my expense! The known problem is well above garage level. Not turning off during a regen or having quite a few expensive annual oil changes seem to be the only existing ways to prevent excessive engine wear that will undoubtedly be put down to too many short journeys. Waiting for the caption to return then to VW!
Really useful Tool, if you haven't already got it Ian is Carista. Designed for folk like me as a gentle introduction to the world of 'proper scanning tools' like VCDS. Keep an eye on your regens and when you're getting close to having one. Particularly useful when I see that the soot level is getting toward 30 and I can remind my good lady that is likely to regen at any time now. She now knows what do do in the event of such a happening! For the sake of £30 ish a very handy bit of kit for doing all sorts of things to the wizardry of the van! One of the most useful bits of kit I have purchased to date!

Back