[Resolved] T6 Oil level too high

Very dangerous to drive with over filled. Had a T25 diesel. Overfilled, the excess oil lies in the cams, enters the combustion chamber. Acts as extra fuel, ran the engine at very high revs. Until the cam seized. Total rebuild of the head, new cam, regrind valves etc. No way to switch off, tried to stall it in the gears, just kept running.
Call Breakdown or Recovery and get 1/3 litre out of the engine. Would be my advice.

Reactions: DXX
So I have driven to the next services, 30+ miles and haven't had the fault code appear again.

Engine temp has been at a steady 90 all the way here from the start.

Having some breakfast now and then will reassess the situation.

Seems weird that it's isn't constantly alerting.

The original alert appeared after a few minutes if torrential downpour in which it was almost like a sheet of rain almost cutting visibility down to zero. Outside temp dropped from 14 to 11.5 almost instantly at that point.

Whether you have a fault code or not if the oil level on the dipstick is over the max level it needs attention.
If you have breakdown cover / VW Assist get them out, they can assess why it is over level and syringe some out.
If it is significant fuel / coolant dilution the engine will be wrecked if you carry on running it.

If in doubt about fuel dilution get an oil and filter change done.
It’s also worth doing an oil analysis for £45, obviously not with new oil. It might be the best £45 you’ve ever spent if it save you thousands.

If in doubt about fuel dilution get an oil and filter change done.
It’s also worth doing an oil analysis for £45, obviously not with new oil. It might be the best £45 you’ve ever spent if it save you thousands.

Silver VW assist van now here. They were super quick.

Guy says that he sees it all the time especially on vans going regular shorter journeys.

Says exactly what has been said earlier I this thread. DPF can dump some fuel into the oil when it's cleaning itself out. Said he's sees this regular and that it's nothing to worry about.

He's gonna drain some oil off, check out a few other things and then I should be good to go.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Especially the ones who told me to see sense and stop and get it sorted. I have my three year old granddaughter with me and she's getting upset "we should be going on our holidays" which was prompting me to just plod on.

Hopefully this post can help someone else with the same issue/quandary about pressing on.

Can a mod move this to the faults section to allow it to be found easier?

Good news that you’re being sorted out with VW Assist, at least it will be on the record with VW.
Not sure I agree entirely that it’s nothing to worry about though, fuel dilution wrecks engines, the time it takes depends upon the percentage of dilution and the running hours of exposure.
If I were you I’d be getting an oil and filter change at Bognor.

All settled in for the night about fifteen minutes away from Bognor Motors.

VW Assist guy said that most modern diesel vehicles that do only short runs suffer from this issue at some point. The more short runs, the more likely it is to happen.

I asked if I should do an oil and filter change and he told me that the biggest problem vehicle he sees for this issue is the Audi SQ7 (might not have remembered the model correct) and he has been to one vehicle several times with the same issue. He said that the guidance notes say not to advise an oil change as the vehicle will alert the driver if an early oil change is required.

I said that seems strange and he said there's some sensor that alerts if the oil needs replaced sooner than scheduled.

Saying that I will definitely be asking Bognor to do an oil and filter change for me.

He also said that adding in a longer journey more frequently to kick in a regen is essential In-between lots of short runs. He also added that there are now Japanese vehicles entering the market that have a regen button and that VAG needs to follow suit.

Am I right in thinking Carista can force a regen?

Last edited:
Glad you got sorted @JiMsHaDY69, im off the Bognor myself next month.

My question though is what is classed as a 'short run'? Anything that doesn't allow the engine to reach optimum operating temperature? 10 miles and under?

All settled in for the night about fifteen minutes away from Bognor Motors.

VW Assist guy said that most modern diesel vehicles that do only short runs suffer from this issue at some point. The more short runs, the more likely it is to happen.

I asked if I should do an oil and filter change and he told me that the biggest problem vehicle he sees for this issue is the Audi SQ7 (might not have remembered the model correct) and he has been to one vehicle several times with the same issue. He said that the guidance notes say not to advise an oil change as the vehicle will alert the driver if an early oil change is required.

I said that seems strange and he said there's some sensor that alerts if the oil needs replaced sooner than scheduled.

Saying that I will definitely be asking Bognor to do an oil and filter change for me.

He also said that adding in a longer journey more frequently to kick in a regen is essential In-between lots of short runs. He also added that there are now Japanese vehicles entering the market that have a regen button and that VAG needs to follow suit.

Am I right in thinking Carista can force a regen?
Yes but I’ve never tried as soot levels have always been low. I have a Euro5 180ps.

I'm with @DXX on this - I'd get the oil and filter changed. Your sump currently has a mixture of oil and diesel in it, which reduces the effectiveness of the oil, that stuff that stops your engine from seizing up.

I'm with @DXX on this - I'd get the oil and filter changed. Your sump currently has a mixture of oil and diesel in it, which reduces the effectiveness of the oil, that stuff that stops your engine from seizing up.

Just to finish off this thread. Took all the advice on board and I had Bognor do an oil service, so fresh oil and filter were all in place for my journey home.

Now all I have to do is to organise getting a Caravelle floor sorted for my new set-up!

Just to finish off this thread. Took all the advice on board and I had Bognor do an oil service, so fresh oil and filter were all in place for my journey home.

Now all I have to do is to organise getting a Caravelle floor sorted for my new set-up!
Out of curiosity what was the oil like that came out? Thick/thin? Diluted? Smell of diesel?

Out of curiosity what was the oil like that came out? Thick/thin? Diluted? Smell of diesel?
I have no idea. I'm hopeless with anything above turning a screw or sticking something down with tape. Just dropped the van off for the scheduled work and asked for an oil service to be completed also.

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Just had this orange ! warning light 'Oil level too high - take to workshop' (or similar) - can't quite remember. Thankfully I was 2 mins from home, so didn't panic. I've been reading the advice on here and it sounds like the cause/fix isn't yet conclusive.
I have the T6.1 150 Highline from 2020 with 15k on the clock. Had its first service earlier this year and in the last 3 weeks came up with the DPF filter warning (so I took it for a decent drive and it cleared). Admittedly it has been doing short runs in the main in recent months, so guess that has an effect. Only other possible things to note are that it's freezing outside (probably irrelevant).
The dipstick shows thin black oil at least 1cm above the max line. Smells a bit diesel like to my untrained nose. I can't speak to anyone worthwhile at VW Bristol until Monday, so wondered if you guys could offer any help?

I just picked up my first transporter today, ex demo 22reg with 5k miles. Got the same error driving down the m1. I spoke to the dealer and they knew the issue straight away and suggested checking the oil etc.

I’ve got vw assist coming tomorrow morning, I’ll update on what happens tomorrow.

Smells a bit diesel like to my untrained nose.
Most likely fuel dilution, 1cm above max’ is a lot IMO.
Use the Search function with ‘fuel dilution‘ and you’ll see a few results, it is highly detrimental to the engine / turbocharger life.
You are under warranty, I would not drive it until it has been recovered and had an engine oil / filter change at VW cost. You could try VW Assist in the first instance.

Back