T6.1 too much oil warning - how worried should I be?

rodrigoluk

My 16k miles, 98kw shuttle is showing the too much oil warning every 100 or so miles. This happened the day I picked it up and the VW vans place took into the service section. I think they took some oil out, which is half-way+ from checking the dipstick when cold. I can't smell diesel in the oil. Seems it needs the software update, which they will do next time I take it to the (about an hours drive). I also know that opening and closing the bonnet resets the warning. Question is how worried should I be?

You need to check the oil level yourself when you get this warning. If the level has risen, then your oil is being diluted with diesel, which is not good for the engine.
If the oil level has not risen, then it’s more likely to be a software issue.

Pete

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the reply. To clarify, you mean to check the oil after the engine has been running for a while and after stopping and waiting for a few minutes? Basically, check the level of cold vs hot oil in the sump, right?

Thanks!

If you get the warning then check the oil level once it has been allowed to stand for 20 mins.

Don't worry about hot or cold, just give it long enough for the oil to drain back into the sump.

Take a picture of the oil on the dipstick each time it you like - saves you having to remember where it was the last time you checked.

Pete

Back