So I looked in the engine bay..and then the oil filler

BIgben

T6 Pro
After a couple of weeks of having the van I thought I'd see what the engine looked like that harnesses all these ponies..
Well, I couldn't really make out anything that I recognised as an engine! More like the more complicated plumbing parts from a chemical factory.
As I was feeling quite adventurous I located the oil filler cap and took it off to take a look at I'm not sure what.
Quite surprising to see it very mayonnaisey? Has anyone else checked theirs? Is this in any way normal for a new vehicle? To be honest I have always thought that this is the indicator that the engine is on it's way out because there is water in the oil?

If you have been doing a lot of short journeys you can sometimes get a bit of mayo under the cap. Worry more if it is on the dipstick or in the water bottle.
Take it for a good run and get it warm and it will go. If not then a trip to the dealer.

It's done 1100 miles. Done a few days of shortish journeys lately but most of the miles have been 2 or 3 hour runs.

Check the dipstick if it is mayo then I think you have a problem

That does look a lot. Maybe a trip to the stealers is in order. They may well tell you it is condensation but at least it is logged. I will check mine in the morning and see if it is the same.

I have the same, I was also surprised. Mine is 30 000 on the clock only long trips I have changed the oil at 20 000.

The engine really is tiny! And the noise it makes, while nowhere near as rattly and rough as our old 180, still doesn't sound anything like a 201bhp unit kicking out the same torque as my 3.0 six cylinder turbo BMW!
201bhp was a heck of a lot not long ago. Now a piddly little 2.0 four pot kicks it out without too much fuss.

Just went and checked mine as you got me worried. No sign of 'mayo' at nearly 10K miles

Last edited:
Just checked mine and mayo in the tube. Only has 2200 miles. It could be due to the long filler neck cooling off. A watch on oil and water levels is needed I think.

Mayo on the cap and dipstick is not unusual on the new T6, I just read a service bulletin that says this can happen because the new engine runs significantly lower in temperature.

Attachments

• TSB-Engine-condensation.pdf
    316.4 KB · Views: 448
The mayo is unfortunatley a normal thing too see in a motor. Its just condensation and looks wrong. If the you drive alot of short trips it will happen. Take your van for a long cruise for a couple hours and it will remove itself.
It happends in my other car (BMW 520i) when my better half uses it..

I'll take a look in the daylight. Just done a few long drives.
900 miles one day then 600 the next. I'd hope that has evaporated off all the mayo!

I discovered the same on mine today.....first thought, blown head gasket! The thing is, mine does journeys of 12 miles plus (each way). Surely enough time for the engine to get nice and hot? Maybe I'm too gentle with it???? I'll mention it to the dealer though!

Mine is still the same after long drives. Now done 7500 miles and still full of scuzzy mayo. AA man said totally normal because of the long plastic filler neck.

Just noticed the same in mine and nearly fell over backwards when i noticed it! Whilst it's comforting to know that this is something quite normal, surely it can't be a good thing for the longevity of the engine...

I do short journeys, unfortunately, and try my best to give a couple of one hour journeys every week. I have no mayo, so if it was short journeys you would think it would be mine. My engine is the euro 5. Maybe the euro 6 is different.

Back