[Resolved] T6 Oil level too high

From what I’ve been told at trusty old VW (wink wink), is that the diesel will burn off if you get the engine up to temp (oil temp around 90 degrees or so). Therefore the oil should be much less contaminated following a long run. In an ideal world we shouldn’t have to put up with this contamination at all, and almost certainly explains why Diesel engines don’t have the lifespan that they used to (before emissions control). The tech guy at VW admitted that it wasn’t a very clever design, and that some other Euro6 diesel manufacturers (Honda being one) cleaned through the DPF by having a separate injector in the exhaust (bypassing the engine). When required, it would inject unburnt fuel into the redhot DPF to clean it. This design prevents any contamination to the oil. It’s obviously a known fault, but has been played down, and won’t be resolved seeing as diesels are a thing of the past.

Unfortunately we either have to put up with our flawed VW engines, or get rid. I’m not happy about the situation, but at least I feel less ‘in the dark’ and might not chop in the T6.1 just yet. Best of luck everyone in the same boat.

Back