‘Oil level too high’ warning

Stockwell Camper

T6 Pro
The Mrs has been to our local VW dealership this morning to get a new key coded that we ordered in a few weeks ago, he has told her the oil level is too high in the van and that this is as bad as driving round with not enough oil in.

We have not had any warning signs on the dash board or otherwise, I will check the oil level on the dipstick once she is home.

65 plate T6 102 bhp Highline

Anyone have any advice, do I need to get some oil drained out?

Cheers

Check on dipstick when engine hot. Leave it for a while and dip it. Best to leave just under max.

Any easy way to drain a little bit off without dumping the whole lot?
IMO the key is to establish why the oil level is too high before deciding how to deal with it.
If it has been overfilled then yes, removing some is appropriate.
But if diesel has entered the sump due to incomplete regenerations I'd rather change the oil, diluted oil surely cannot protect your engine as well as uncontaminated oil.

@DaveD is there anyway to tell at this stage?

The oil was only changed around 3,000 miles ago
If you can be absolutely certain that the oil level was correct after the service, but it is now above the maximum mark then you can only conclude that the oil level has risen due to contamination by either coolant or fuel.
If coolant has found its way into the oil (unlikely) you will have a low coolant level in the coolant reservoir.
If it's not coolant it has to be diesel, IMO.
More likely, somebody was a bit heavy handed when refilling the oil and overfilled it. If you can't be certain that it wasn't overfilled then I'd buy something like this:

suck out some oil via the dipstick tube until you've drained enough so that the oil level is exactly half way between min and max, use the van and check the oil level every week, if the oil level remains the same you know you've got no problem.

Edit: Sorry I've linked the wrong item above, try this instead:

Last edited:
Thanks @DaveD for the prompt response, we bought the van but it wasn't from a main dealer. It was serviced before we bought it but I think it is fairly likely as you say that they were heavy handed when filling the oil back up.

I have ordered a similar syringe from Amazon that should be here tomorrow and was planning on syphoning out some oil to get it down to max level/thereabouts.

Thank-you for the insight re. diesel in the oil, I will make sure to keep an eye on the level of the oil over the next couple of weeks and see if I notice any changes

Thanks @DaveD for the prompt response, we bought the van but it wasn't from a main dealer. It was serviced before we bought it but I think it is fairly likely as you say that they were heavy handed when filling the oil back up.

I have ordered a similar syringe from Amazon that should be here tomorrow and was planning on syphoning out some oil to get it down to max level/thereabouts.

Thank-you for the insight re. diesel in the oil, I will make sure to keep an eye on the level of the oil over the next couple of weeks and see if I notice any changes
Have a read of this thread:

After some advice. Driving today and the “oil level too high warning go to workshop” came on after about 250 miles plus of driving and not needed topping up since last service 3k ago.. Just rechecked now it’s cold and oil level was fine on the stick and warning went off when restarted. Any clues? 2019 T6 edition 14k

Faulty sensor, damaged loom, software, in any case it’s a warranty job. Take a photo of the warning next time you see it to prove to the dealer.

Last edited:
After some advice. Driving today and the “oil level too high warning go to workshop” came on after about 250 miles plus of driving and not needed topping up since last service 3k ago.. Just rechecked now it’s cold and oil level was fine on the stick and warning went off when restarted. Any clues? 2019 T6 edition 14k
I know there is a similar issue on my T6.1 , there is a thread on here. I was told by VW it’s a software update that’s required, so I am awaiting that. It could be a similar issue with your T6?

Has anyone got an update on this? Has anyone seen the guy on YouTube explaining - the vehicle is putting excess fuel into the oil during the Regeneration? This goes against everything VW has said, claiming it is a software update?
I’ve still not heard back from my local VW in Liverpool.

But vw say it’s a software error? They have kindly brought me in for a free oil change next week, whilst I wait for this update.

Reactions: mmi
I'd recommend you view a couple of video's from California Time on YouTube. Will has done some good work establishing the cause of the issue a suitable resolution. Here's some links for you:

Fuel dilution = increased wear on engine and turbochargers, guaranteed regardless of software, oil levels, VW’s opinions, etc.
If find it incredible that the person speaking in the video has;
1. Not insisted on an oil change.
2. Is undecided over the value of a 35 quid oil analysis.
Personally I wouldn’t touch one of these vans, it’s a ticking time bomb, ready to go off just outside warranty.

Fuel dilution = increased wear on engine and turbochargers, guaranteed regardless of software, oil levels, VW’s opinions, etc.
If find it incredible that the person speaking in the video has;
1. Not insisted on an oil change.
2. Is undecided over the value of a 35 quid oil analysis.
Personally I wouldn’t touch one of these vans, it’s a ticking time bomb, ready to go off just outside warranty.
How can my oil be diluted , when it hasn’t risen at all in the months it’s stated “oil level too high”

Reactions: mmi
How can my oil be diluted , when it hasn’t risen at all in the months it’s stated “oil level too high”
It probably hasn’t been diluted but the case in the youtube videos the oil was removed and again it increased as far as I understood it, allowing for expansion.

Re engine software on T6 and T6.1 - yes, they run different software. Among others, "processing" of oil level sensor data seems to be more refined on T6.1.

Below a snapshot of what T6.1 engine software reports re engine oil level. On T6 only two first parameters seem to be alive.
The grayed parameters need yet to be verified - if they come alive at some point.

1636294688152.png

Below a plot of a T6 engine oil level and warning threshold behaviour during a 30 minute run. Samples taken at 1 minute intervals.
Two first and two last samples were recorded engine off.
1636293675128.png
This engine reports oil level of 100 mm when filled to the "top" (e.g. immediately after oil change).

I took mine in to VW the other day for a free oil change , and weirdly my warning light hasn’t been on since. Usually comes on few hours after reset!

Back