Remap V Chipping

I had my 150 remapped yesterday.

Not had chance for a proper drive yet, but the dyno results are intersting -

Before Map

By interesting you mean they have managed to reduce the engine performance below 2000rpm I presume. That definitely doesn't look right.

Yeah, something not right there, your Max Attained RPM is saying 149mph!! I'm pretty sure they do the power runs in 4th gear, so either they've done it in 6th (why?) or something is off.
Also the traces top out over 4800rpm!
Here's my combined printout from this morning.. max attained RPM is 150.2km/h (93.3mph), the torque traces before & after follow quite closely until around 1500rpm and the power traces split around 1600rpm.
Remap_Combined.jpg

Yes, you can certainly feel the extra boost around 2000, top gear 60-80 acceleration is improved, no need to drop a gear to overtake.

I might ask the garage...

Are you happy with how yours drives now??
If your dyno print out is right you'll notice the difference - it'll feel gutless compared to standard until approx 2000rpm and lets face it, 99% of the time you're below 2000rpm. Your headline figures look great but what's most important is the area under the torque line, particularly in the area you normally drive in.

I have a 2015 2.0 TDI EU6 150 PS, Six speed manual SWB. It is a Campervan conversion, by Bilbos, with their fibreglass high top. I would like to get more miles to the gallon. It only does long journeys - holidays UK and Europe, with my wife - and 500 mile round trips when I go fishing and stalking in the Northeast or Scotland from my home in Nottinghamshire.

I know nothing of modern engines. I am 80 years old and expect to see a carburettor and a distributor, when I lift the bonnet. So, when I start to research ECU remapping, chip tuning etc, I am blinded by science with what I read. I am told that there are lots of charlatans out there.

The choices seem to be twofold. I can get a local ‘expert’ to modify the software, or buy a magic plug in widget, controlled by my iPhone. Two lifetimes ago I did an engineering apprenticeship in the RAF, so I am not without basic technical skills and knowledge. Whichever route I take the costs would appear to be the same - about £250 - £400.

I am not interested in ‘burning rubber’ or ‘beating others away from the traffic lights’ as some forum members are, just more MPG.

Can anyone out there help me?

Thanks

For MPG improvement alone a remap will take a long time to payback. I’ve got a Revo map on my 150ps Euro 6 and in my experience the MPG has improved
around 5-10%.

To keep the maths easy assuming a 10% improvement which saves £7.50 on a £75 tank fill it will take me about 54 tank fills or 23,000 miles to save the £400 cost of the remap. If it was a 5% saving it would be 108 fills or 46,000 miles.

Obviously I told my wife the reason for remapping was based on cost saving!

However the real benefit of the remap is drivability, yes the van is quicker overall but it’s a much better drive now. Far less changing down through gears where there is a performance black spot on the engine. The power delivery profile is far less lumpy and comes across the rev range rather than in chunks.

It is a very different van to drive now and my wife appreciates how much better it is so we certainly have no regrets. To my mind the power delivery profile with the Revo map is how the van should come out of the factory.

I'm not convinced that any economy remap will offer any actual saving. Some may give you 2-3mpg gains, which equates to give or take, 1 pence per mile saving. Say your remap cost you £300, that would take 30,000 miles before you broke even.

I've just had a Superchips 'performance' remap. Whilst the increase in power is barely noticeable pushing just over 2 tonnes through a wall of air, it has made towing seem a little more effortless.

I can't say I've noticed any difference in economy, as winter always shows a drop in mpg anyway, so I need to give it more time to see how it averages out.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced that any economy remap will offer any actual saving. Some may give you 2-3mpg gains, which equates to give or take, 1 pence per mile saving. Say your remap cost you £300, that would take 30,000 miles before you broke even.

I've just had a Superchips 'performance' remap. Whilst the increase in power is barely noticeable pushing just over 2 tonnes through a wall of air, it has made towing seem a little more effortless.

I can't say I've noticed any difference in economy, as winter always shows a drop in mpg anyway, so I need to give it more time to see how it averages out.
3mpg saving =10% saving ish = £10 per fill-up(ish) saving

I did my sums based on the longer journeys that @Chalky123 said he would be doing, so assumed a 35mpg being improved to 37.5mpg and used pump prices as being £1.15 / litre to work out the cost per mile in fuel.

It's one of those where there are too many variables to work out exact numbers.

Chalkie, just throwing an idea in there, why not take an economy-driving course? Your local IAM will do it, treat it as a fun day out in your van.
Driving style is the greatest factor in fuel economy. I learnt to drive watching an intake vacuum guage, its astonishing how your right foot affects consumption.
Just a thought?
Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Just throwing an idea in there, why not take an economy-driving course? Your local IAM will do it, treat it as a fun day out in your van.
Driving style is the greatest factor in fuel economy. I learnt to drive watching an intake vacuum guage, its astonishing how your right foot affects consumption.
Just a thought?
Cheers
Phil
I agree with that sentiment, When I use Adaptive Cruise Control my mpg goes up dramatically,
VW automation is defiantly far more economical at driving than my right root.

I have a 2015 2.0 TDI EU6 150 PS, Six speed manual SWB. It is a Campervan conversion, by Bilbos, with their fibreglass high top. I would like to get more miles to the gallon. It only does long journeys - holidays UK and Europe, with my wife - and 500 mile round trips when I go fishing and stalking in the Northeast or Scotland from my home in Nottinghamshire.

I know nothing of modern engines. I am 80 years old and expect to see a carburettor and a distributor, when I lift the bonnet. So, when I start to research ECU remapping, chip tuning etc, I am blinded by science with what I read. I am told that there are lots of charlatans out there.

The choices seem to be twofold. I can get a local ‘expert’ to modify the software, or buy a magic plug in widget, controlled by my iPhone. Two lifetimes ago I did an engineering apprenticeship in the RAF, so I am not without basic technical skills and knowledge. Whichever route I take the costs would appear to be the same - about £250 - £400.

I am not interested in ‘burning rubber’ or ‘beating others away from the traffic lights’ as some forum members are, just more MPG.

Can anyone out there help me?

Thanks
REVO remapping is designed for your vehicle and is currently on offer 20% off. Their software is designed to run seamlessly with your vehicle in standard configuration. Also 30 day money back guarantee. The map greatly improves the drive, up hills, overtaking etc and it will omy go as quick as you press the pedal :thumbsup:

Omfg! Or oh my! (for boomers ;))

Just had my Revo stage 1 done on my TSI 150ps and haven't stopped grinning all the way back.

Objectively, it now drives more like a petrol engine in that, although it still has adequate low down torque which was fun enough on the drive to get it mapped, it now has a whole second phase from 3.5k upwards all the way to the redline. In simple terms it spins the wheels in first, second and even third gear (I'm on the lowline 16" wheels), but once into third it pulls like a train from 4k rpm to the redline, and I guess the same in fourth (how could I possibly tell on our public highways ;)).

As my van is still tatty on the outside, it is the ultimate sleeper at the lights.

And it was 20% off :D:p:):cool::p:D:)

Last edited:

Just had my Revo stage 1 done on my TSI 150ps and haven't stopped grinning all the way back.

Objectively, it now drives more like a petrol engine in that, although it still has adequate low down torque which was fun enough on the drive to get it mapped, it now has a whole second phase from 3.5k upwards all the way to the redline. In simple terms it spins the wheels in first, second and even third gear (I'm on the lowline 16" wheels), but once into third it pulls like a train from 4k rpm to the redline, and I guess the same in fourth (how could I possibly tell on our public highways ;)).

As my van is still tatty on the outside, if is the ultimate sleeper at the lights.

Yep they are awsome. And 20% off currently so no brainer. Cheers
Ian :thumbsup:

As my van is still tatty on the outside, if is the ultimate sleeper at the lights.

Double the power for under £500. Result

Enjoy

Sounds so good too

Back