Remap V Chipping

does anyone have any take on this?

T6 Caravelle 150bhp

What’s best? Remap or chip? Both roughly same price, remap shows up chip is “plug and play”

Don’t want to invalidate my warranty

Chip guys claim they are better than remap

This is what they’re offering

VW Transporter T6 2.0 TDI (150 PS / 340 Nm) Diesel Tuning
I have used tuning boxes, and imo they are rubbish.
If and when I decide I need more power/torque it will be a remap by Revo who are head and shoulders in terms of development and support for our vehicles imo.

I have used tuning boxes, and imo they are rubbish.
If and when I decide I need more power/torque it will be a remap by Revo who are head and shoulders in terms of development and support for our vehicles imo.

Cheers I’ve had revo and Penske mentioned, but I’m now re-thinking as it’s been pointed out, £400 for 25bhp?

I’m simply looking for better fuel economy, I was one of those people who “fell for VW, saying it was 40+mpg “ is the only thing I don’t love about my T6

Count how many wires and then you imagine how many sensor they can trick compare to a remap.
The less wire the less sensor they trick.
Many of those box just increase injection rail pressure. So no way your MPG will improve!
Oh and forgot the most important as sensor info's is faked to ECU then all factory safety for that sensor are off the limit.
I call it BSM

Count how many wires and then you imagine how many sensor they can trick compare to a remap.
The less wire the less sensor they trick.
Many of those box just increase injection rail pressure. So no way your MPG will improve!
Oh and forgot the most important as sensor info's is faked to ECU then all factory safety for that sensor are off the limit.
I call it BSM

T6 Caravelle 150bhp

What’s best? Remap or chip? Both roughly same price, remap shows up chip is “plug and play”

I've fitted a TDI tuning box on mine, it runs fine, just as it did standard but it has more of that effortless grunt that diesels are good for. Its now rated at 198 bhp on its highest setting, number 7. It cost £370 but for the extra torque i reckon its been worth it.

Some tuning boxes work!
My brother put one on his 800 mile old company car Mondeo, I don't recall the brand of the box but I can find out if any body is interested, but it was one of the more expensive ones at ~£350. We took it to my mates garage who has a Maha calibrated rolling road and did before and after runs, it went from around 120 to about 145 bhp on the rollers so definitely worked much to our surprise. My mate does maps but we didn't want to touch a car brand new under warranty and belonging to somebody else in this case.

Some tuning boxes work!
My brother put one on his 800 mile old company car Mondeo, I don't recall the brand of the box but I can find out if any body is interested, but it was one of the more expensive ones at ~£350. We took it to my mates garage who has a Maha calibrated rolling road and did before and after runs, it went from around 120 to about 145 bhp on the rollers so definitely worked much to our surprise. My mate does maps but we didn't want to touch a car brand new under warranty and belonging to somebody else in this case.
It's not that they don't boost power; they certainly do that.
It's the way that they do it; and the issues you often have later down the line, in my experience

It's not that they don't boost power; they certainly do that.
It's the way that they do it; and the issues you often have later down the line, in my experience

I'm not really technical but the guy running the rolling road seemed happy enough with the results, talking about fuel air mixes etc. My bro does loads of miles and real mpg was way better too (not the computer reading) enabling him to improve his claimed private mile usage as well.
The unit he bought had about five connection points for what its worth, I'd still have a map done myself when my vans out of warranty in preference but it is a solution for some as above.

I've had a remap some years ago, but obviously i lost it when i sold the car, since then I've done 1,000s of miles with tuning boxes on several cars. One being a landrover d3 that i used for heavy towing duties up and down the country, towing 2 horses to events or my caravan on holidays. The box was on it for 7 years, providing me with loads of extra grunt with no adverse reliability issues . Now I've got the TDI Tuning box on my dsg 150 i hope it will continue to give good service,as it certainly increases torque which equates to much quicker throttle responses. Even if its only giving an extra 20 to 30 bhp,that's very cheap extra power at £370 for the box. It takes only a few minutes to remove, then it can be re used on other vehicles.

I've had several vehicles remapped by Superchips without fail. Those boys have been doing it for decades, so know a thing or two about the job. The don't go chasing numbers. The results feel like the standard car turned up to 12.

Some tuning boxes simply fool the temperature sensor so it constantly adds more fuel. A bit like driving with the choke pulled out (remember them?) It can feel faster because you get an instant shove when you put your foot down, but then not much happens after then. Some will also claim, lets say, a 30% increase in power. What they don't say is where in the rev range this is. If it's when the 'choke is pulled out,' it might be a 30% increase at 1000rpm, with no more gains after 1100rpm.

I think I'll keep my 150 DSG as it is. It's a van, so I'm not of a mind to hustle it along. It's doing 40mpg too, so even if a remap would better that, I can't see it being by much, so it would take lots of thousands of miles for the fuel savings to make the money back.

The most common tuning boxes alter the common rail fuel pressure and boost pressure signals back to the ECU, some systems also amend the fuel timing signal which is usually through the camshaft position sensor. To be fair to SOME of the companies that produce these boxes, a lot of work goes in as the vehicle has to work on the calibration (map) as loaded by VW and they are then tweaking the sensor readings to provide you a different part of the calibration than VW intended for the engine load, throttle input etc. There's also some particularly 'agricultural' boxes out there where the owner moves jumper blocks (bridging wires) and basically experiments on their engine until it feels right to them.

Up to and including Euro 3 engines you would just connect up a tuning box and 'roll some coal' behind you. For Euro 4 (dpfs were introduced by some manufacturers) onwards remapping is a better option as the tuner can demand the injectors to deliver fuel at the timing, pressure and duration they want. My personal concerns over the diesel tuning industry is that most don't truly know the point that the internals (inc piston cooling) are on the limit of reliability. Some of the companies have however recognised the 5 speed gearboxes don't like too much extra torque and keep peak torque a touch lower on those vehicles. Without seeing the actual calibration used, I'd also be a bit wary about how much extra soot is being produced which will bring on more frequent dpf regens (this is the main reason I would never entertain using a tuning box after Euro 3)

Strangely enough I don't run a tuning box or a 'remap' on my van although if I did it wouldn't be the one that peer pressure within the transporter community would steer you towards!

T6 Caravelle 150bhp

A Stage 1 REVO remap is available for your van, check them out here - REVO Stage 1 Software for a VOLKSWAGEN Transporter T6 2.0 TDI - Euro6 | Only REVO. And a 30 day money back guarantee if you dont like it!
Rgds
Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back