Red Cables Under Passenger Seat [Merge]

Hi, I wired up my CTEK charger in my T6 Euro 6 today, I connected the CTEK to the main battery using the red live cables under the dual passenger seat (there were two small cables and a 10mm2 cable spliced together, I used the main 10mm2 cable) everything is working fine and the leisure battery is charging from the CTEK however I wondered if I should be swapping the fuse in the E Box for a 30A one, I believe mine is the 50A fuse at position 8 (according to the previous VW diagram). I have fused between the CTEK and my leisure battery with a 30A fuse and have used 10mm2 cable throughout so the rating of this is higher than the E Box fuse.

Thanks for any advice, a pic of my E Box below.

Cheers

View attachment 100643
Assuming you have the CTEK D250SE which charges at 20A I think the 50A default fuse is fine. It offers cable protection for the 10mm2 (70A rated cable you have) and also allows enough juice through to the CTEK to do it's job of charging your leisure battery.

@saintclarkey1 thanks for getting back to me, this was my thinking as well. I have however since been in contact with @travelvolts and he recommended adding the 30A fuse before the CTEK250SE to protect the unit itself, he mentioned that should the CTEK become damaged in any way then not having the fuse there may invalidate any warranty.

So for anybody else who is carrying out this install, I have used the 10mm2 cable from under the passenger seat and rerouted it to the drivers seat area, then added an inline fuse at 30A and connected in to the CTEK. I also have a fuse on the output of the CTEK before the leisure battery as recommended by the manufacturer.

@saintclarkey1 thanks for getting back to me, this was my thinking as well. I have however since been in contact with @travelvolts and he recommended adding the 30A fuse before the CTEK250SE to protect the unit itself, he mentioned that should the CTEK become damaged in any way then not having the fuse there may invalidate any warranty.

So for anybody else who is carrying out this install, I have used the 10mm2 cable from under the passenger seat and rerouted it to the drivers seat area, then added an inline fuse at 30A and connected in to the CTEK. I also have a fuse on the output of the CTEK before the leisure battery as recommended by the manufacturer.
Makes sense and sounds fair enough for the sake of a couple of quid extra, 5 minutes more work and piece of mind.

Can this taped up red cable under the front passenger seat connect to a dc to dc charger?20210925_114220.jpg

20210924_104527.jpg

20210924_104633.jpg

20210925_114123.jpg

Team

Does anyone know what type the fuse holder crimp terminal on the fused side on these 12V fuseboxes is ? Like the ones you get on the end of the towbar loom when you retrofit? This is the permanent 12V loom under the passenger seat.

I need to add some 12V supplies, and obvs, can't leave it like this!

fusebox.jpg

I've bought fuse holder crimps from 12Vplanet and Halfrauds, but they don't fit the VW fusebox. The parts man at the main dealers is a div and didn't have a clue what I was asking for. I see on the switched live thread @Dellmassive shows some yellow coloured pigtails with what look like these fittings crimped on the end, but using my best googlefu and searching the forum has drawn a blank.

Any advice welcome.

my GoogleFu is failing me too . . .

i got my Pins from @Pauly when the shop was running previously.

but need to find a new online supplier . . . . .

Does anyone know what type the fuse holder crimp terminal on the fused side on these 12V fuseboxes is ? Like the ones you get on the end of the towbar loom when you retrofit? This is the permanent 12V loom under the passenger seat.
suggests the following for repair wires (credit to "JetTurbo" on the site)

2.8mm terminals - ATM fuse (small fuses)​
000 979 021 : 0.5mm² wire (000979021)​
000 979 133 : 1.0 mm² wire (000979133)​
000 979 225 : 2.5 mm² wire (000979225)​
4.8mm terminals - ATO fuse (large fuses)​
000 979 023 : 0.5 mm² wire (000979023)​
000 979 135 : 1.0 mm² wire (000979135)​
000 979 227 : 2.5 mm² wire (000979227)​
000 979 306 : 4.0 mm² wire (000979306)​

Copied from here:

suggests the following for repair wires (credit to "JetTurbo" on the site)

2.8mm terminals - ATM fuse (small fuses)​
000 979 021 : 0.5mm² wire (000979021)​
000 979 133 : 1.0 mm² wire (000979133)​
000 979 225 : 2.5 mm² wire (000979225)​
4.8mm terminals - ATO fuse (large fuses)​
000 979 023 : 0.5 mm² wire (000979023)​
000 979 135 : 1.0 mm² wire (000979135)​
000 979 227 : 2.5 mm² wire (000979227)​
000 979 306 : 4.0 mm² wire (000979306)​

Copied from here:
Magic, thank you so much. Those are the ones!

Reactions: mmi
Wagos, sparkies best friend :thumbsup:

A fella turned up at a site using these. Never seen them before, the local CEF doesn't stock them, never heard of them, I ended up getting a box off Amazon.

wago.jpg

Better fit in looms and for connecting pre terminated assemblies than the usual 221-41X Wagos, where the wires all come out of the same side.

They also work on T6s.... ;)

I've recently purchased a T6 LWB Shuttle that previously had an aftermarket mobility scooter lift and inverter (for charging its battery) fitted which I've removed. The inverter gets it power from somewhere in the rear but the lift power cable runs to under the passenger seat.

I've come to start planning my leisure battery setup with the first simple task ahead of camping this weekend being to place the battery under one of the seats and move the rear 12v sockets over from the fuse box under the passenger seat to my new one located with the leisure battery. I'll install my Renogy 50a charge controller later as a full charge will get me through the weekend.

It's at this point that I located the positive feed for the liftand, when removing the electrical tape to see how they'd tapped it in, I found (what I think is) an almighty kludge.

IMG_20220607_135500.jpg

It looks like they've removed some of the outer coating from (what I'm guessing) is a high current positive feed (with individual feeds coming off it for the rear 12v sockets), barely wrapped their exposed cable around it, applied what I think is a glob of solder, and then wrapped it to death in electrical tape. I'm no electrician but it feels fairly nasty.

So I have a few questions:
  1. Does anyone know what the current is flowing through that chonky positive cable that they've tapped into coming up from the van floor (it runs into a loom that disappears into the van)? I could test it with a multimeter but thought it's worth asking first.
  2. What's the safest way of removing the cable that they've 'installed' and repairing said chonky cable? Would removing their cable and then wrapping the exposed core in electrical tape suffice?
Thanks,
Bunny

Why not terminate the cable properly on a small fuse box?
The feed for the cable comes from a 100A fuse in the main fuse box under the starter battery.
Fuse_Box_A.jpeg

That's a really good shout as I do have a couple of nice inline circuit breakers I'm not using. I can just measure the diameter of the its core to then correctly size the breaker but I'm thinking a 100A breaker would cover it.

For now, I may as well just wrap the exposed core with electrical tape as, unless I need an always-on power feed from the starter battery, it's going to be redundant as I'm moving the 12v sockets to the leisure battery fuse box. If I do decide to use it later then I may add an inline circuit breaker to protect any devices attached to it.

Upon removing my double passenger seat I found these 2 positive cables, both within the loom but factory taped under the seat. Any ideas what they are intended for and xan I use them?

Screenshot_20220703-225609_Gallery.jpg

They look to me to be the cabling for the factory-fitted auxiliary battery, it commencing at the e-box and terminating where you find it. I believe the smaller cable is for powering the top-dash cigarette socket from a leisure battery when fitted.
I’ll move you post over to a merge of similar threads so you can have a read up in a bit more detail :thumbsup:

Hi does anybody not what this wire is in the picture? Should it be connected to something I only ask as my start/stop keeps coming up with error and I kind of hope this is the problem
Ps it's under the front seats

20220715_171656.jpg

Back