Red Cables Under Passenger Seat [Merge]

Eyetracking

IMG_9713.JPG there's a thick cable under the passenger seat that I'm wondering what it is.

It has a barcode on it? so it looks original.

I'm fitting a leisure battery /ctek solar charger - so am hoping it could be useful.

Guy

cheers. That has made my life considerably easier :)

Do you know if that cable one of the two cables attached to the battery positive terminal in the engine bay?

Did you put a fuse between the ctek d250s and the cable?

Guy

I am looking for a power feed for a 12 volt socket but don't seem to be able to find the red cable. I have a single pasenger seat do they all have the cable ? I have made a half bulkhead so not to easy to look under the seat . I have just got a pair of heated seat cover and they are wired together in one 12 volt plug . They work from the dash but it would be good to feed it from the seat

cheers. That has made my life considerably easier :)

Do you know if that cable one of the two cables attached to the battery positive terminal in the engine bay?

Did you put a fuse between the ctek d250s and the cable?

Guy

Cable comes from primary engine fusebox which is not accessible, no i did not put a fuse in between just crimped a suitable terminal on and connected it straight onto DC input

I am looking for a power feed for a 12 volt socket but don't seem to be able to find the red cable. I have a single pasenger seat do they all have the cable ? I have made a half bulkhead so not to easy to look under the seat . I have just got a pair of heated seat cover and they are wired together in one 12 volt plug . They work from the dash but it would be good to feed it from the seat

I think that cable is present in all vehicles as its would feed additional equipment on higher spec vehicles with elec doors etc, it may be under the split/opening in the floor ?? never looked under a single passenger seat

Why is the primary fuse box not accessible?
Is it not like a T5 remove that battery, remove the battery tray, remove the big plastic cover of the 'E' box having slid the minor fuse panel to one side (the minor fuse unit is releasable to move it) thus allowing you to lift the lid off? Hey-presto access to the fuses, engine ECU and relays. If it's like a T5 big bolt in fuse number 3 is the one used to feed the split charge relay on a vehicle fitted with a second battery from the factory.

Rod

Yes thats the one, but needing to unplug battery to get to it makes it kinda pointless getting to it to isolate supply
Fuse 3 still does the same

Granted, VW fit big (100A?) fuses at both ends of that cable, the under seat one being via the split charge relay. I've not looked at the T6 wiring yet so don't know what changes have been made but I gather the alternator is an 'intelligent' one. If the BCM is re-coded to work the split charge does it change the way the alternator performs? My T5s have always used the VW method of operating the split charge relay, i.e. from the BCM.

Rod

Chart lists 50 or 100A fuse in there depending on setup, im assuming 50 if split charge is not present
I havent got the VW split charge and didnt open the Ebox when fitting my second battery so cant really comment on the setup
Not sure on the way the alternator performs but wouldnt have thought it would change via coding but still learning so happy to be corrected ?? @travelvolts would be the man for that info

Thanks for the help but are you saying the cable doesn't connect to anything and is live so I can just connect onto the end of it . Do you think it would feed a power inverter ? I would love to fit one under the seat to run my charger for my power tools.
Thanks

It could be used for a variety of things but you would need to double check the cable size/fuse size protecting it in relation to the load you want to connect to it but keep in mind it is connected to engine battery so leaving something running off of it while parked will give you a flat battery
It would need to be used to feed a fusebox if you are wanting to run small kit from it like your seat plugs etc as the existing fusing on it is way to large for small stuff

Great I will have a better look tomorrow . I was thinking of using a charge relay that is used to run the charging or fridge on a towbar electrics. I think they switch on when the voltage goes up with the engine running then run a fuse box from that .
Thanks again.

Depends what your planning to do with the cable but it's lighter duty than the feed circuit so prob not the best thing to use

Well I took the single pasenger seat out and no wire in mine. I have a standard factory Kombi highline and don't have the fuse box as in the above photo. I have run a cable from under the seat to the fuse box in the dash but I need to pick up a feed some how. I was thinking of disconnecting the 12 volt socket in the dash and use that but not sure how to get to the back of it .it looks like the panel with it in pops out but not sure.
Any help would be great.

Sorry @Keeff im not sure, havent removed mine, its on my list of things to do as i also have a wire to connect 'properly' but havent got around to it yet
When i looked it seemed like the main large dash trim piece would need to come off to get to the screws retaining the fusebox but it certainly doesnt look like a 5 minute job so will prob save mine until Xmas break when i have a couple weeks off to get stuck into it a bit more

I have just checked mine (highline Kombi single seat) and I also don't have the fusebox and additional cable :(

Not had a look under a single seat myself, all my vans have been doubles and all had it i just assumed it would be there on all

The fuse holder in the dash looks a real pain in the arse to remove and get rear access !
It is probably worth going straight to the battery if piggybacking is not a solution. I have looked
and tried.

I was hoping to remove the panel with the dash 12 volt socket in it and connect on to the live on that . I will disconnect the existing socket. Has anyone removed that panel ?
When I can get the van in my garage I will put it over the pit and see if I can run a cable under the van from the battery to the seat .
I just want to get power to the heated seat covers I have fitted. They are very good and are a good fit . I will post a photo but the vw logo was not on them the wife did it for me .
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back