Red Cables Under Passenger Seat [Merge]

Ah fair one - looks like you’ve potentially got a nice freebie there, as it seems most people end up having to run their own feeds in to their vans.

Ah fair one - looks like you’ve potentially got a nice freebie there, as it seems most people end up having to run their own feeds in to their vans.
That makes a nice change to get something free. Do you think this is ok to take power from for adding small fuse box for 12v socket lights etc . Maybe later a split Charging unit as it’s not just one red cable, there is 5 all interlinked together going nowhere . Thanks would be big help to know

I’ve the same cabling coming in to my van - I was surprised to learn that I had it (bought the van as an ex demo from a dealer so had not spec’d it myself) so it’s meant one less job for me.
So if your van has come from VW like that then yes, it’s there to connect to a secondary battery, to answer your question.
I’m sure they all deliver live power, with the different gauge cabling there to handle different loads.
@Pauly will know for certain.

Normally when it’s redundant it has a fabric/Velcro sleeve over it and there’s only two cables, one big (10mm ish) and one smaller one, you seem to have a few extra so I’m guessing your vehicle has had a towbar fitted and the feeds for this have been crimped onto them ?
The large one is fed directly from the e-box under battery and is a permanent feed via a 50amp fuse (100amp fuse if factory fit second battery)

Normally when it’s redundant it has a fabric/Velcro sleeve over it and there’s only two cables, one big (10mm ish) and one smaller one, you seem to have a few extra so I’m guessing your vehicle has had a towbar fitted and the feeds for this have been crimped onto them ?
The large one is fed directly from the e-box under battery and is a permanent feed via a 50amp fuse (100amp fuse if factory fit second battery)
Lovely job thankyou, your correct I do have a factory fitted towbar.the big red one splits in two so I guess that’s why .

I had similar on mine so I just split them all apart and ditched the 3/4 inline fuse holders and fitted a larger fusebox to accommodate the towbar supplies

I had similar on mine so I just split them all apart and ditched the 3/4 inline fuse holders and fitted a larger fusebox to accommodate the towbar supplies

Doyou have any more info on how to do this please?

Hello Pauly
View attachment 56710
Could I use these for a dc dc charger?
Thanks
Yes if that’s the blanked off feed from the starter battery (which is does look like) then it will be fine to use for a feed
You need to consider what you want to run off it and may want to change the factory fitted fuse to something appropriate for your setup

Doyou have any more info on how to do this please?
I’m not sure what the question is ??
What I basically did is used the factory fitted cable to supply an underseat fusebox, this in turn fed my towbar plus additional wiring for LEDs/USBs etc etc
If you have a towbar fitted it seems common practice to crimp a few cables onto the fat factory one under the seat them run them through a bank of blade fuses back to the towbar electrics, I separated these cables off and made each one it’s own circuit coming off my new fusebox

I’m not sure what the question is ??
What I basically did is used the factory fitted cable to supply an underseat fusebox, this in turn fed my towbar plus additional wiring for LEDs/USBs etc etc
If you have a towbar fitted it seems common practice to crimp a few cables onto the fat factory one under the seat them run them through a bank of blade fuses back to the towbar electrics, I separated these cables off and made each one it’s own circuit coming off my new fusebox
That’s basically my question. I have a factory tow bar and would like to separate all these and use the one of these factory leads to power an amp or 2. Would a pic help of what is under the passenger seat?

Hello
Would I be able to use this thick red cable with yellow stripe as 12v Supply to a 1000w Amplifier ?
Its currently not connected to anything, just taped up !
Thanks in advance.

Hello,
Did anyone find out what the fuse was on these cables under the passenger seats. I have located the fuse box under the battery but just would like to know what one it is ?
Cheers
Stuart

IMG_20200521_142030.jpg

have a look here:

come join the VIP club.

Not all vans are the same due to factory options etc but i assume it will be fuse 8 (counting from the left)

I have the same cables and rearranged them to fit under the seat with leisure electrics.
But I didn’t use the thick one for DC-DC charging with a Renogy unit for two reasons.
I decided I wanted a thicker cable size for the 50A DC charger and I didn’t want to mess about taking the battery out to get at the primary fuse for the DC charger alternator input.
Nothing wrong with using it, those are just my reasons for not doing so

Back