Real world - road vs all season vs light A/T tyres on the ROAD

Bigpikle

T6 Pro
I have a T6.1 full Campervan conversion currently fitted with 20" wheels and Haida ditchfinders. I live where HS2 meets EWR and the roads are utterly destroyed all around the area, so am looking for something more robust and comfortable in the form of 17's and some bigger tyres. The van isnt used daily but we like to use it year round all over the UK and certainly plenty of poorer roads in the all the usual destinations. Driving is probably 90% road and then 10% rough lanes, campsites, off road parking spots etc.

I am trying to understand the real world difference of swapping to some swamper style wheels and various types of tyres? Reviews suggest AT tyres are relatively poor on tarmac and especially in the wet, as well as likely noisy, but how does a more road-focused tyre like the Cooper Discoverer ATT or Avon AX7 really drive and stop compared to something like the Michelin Cross Climate on typical UK roads all year round, and compared to the low quality summer tyres already on the bigger wheels? Obviously its no sports car but my priority is being abe to grip and stop safely on tarmac year round and am conscious that tooling along on country roads with 2+ tonnes of van can present some challenges at times!

I have zero interest in more aggressive AT tyres like the BFGs etc, but can find relatively little about the road end of that spectrum -- cant find relevant reviews of the AX7 or Discoverer etc anywhere. Seems like loads of people run these aggressive tyres and I dont read loads of stories about issues etc, so are the more road focused tyres an issue in real world conditions? Seems like all the suppliers of swamper style wheels only really offer AT tyres and the few I've spoken with seem happy to recomment them, but I'd like to know what people's real experiences are please. I've read loads of pages of stuff here but most tend to focus on the more extreme AT choices or just fitment and style.

Many thanks

I have a T6.1 full Campervan conversion currently fitted with 20" wheels and Haida ditchfinders. I live where HS2 meets EWR and the roads are utterly destroyed all around the area, so am looking for something more robust and comfortable in the form of 17's and some bigger tyres. The van isnt used daily but we like to use it year round all over the UK and certainly plenty of poorer roads in the all the usual destinations. Driving is probably 90% road and then 10% rough lanes, campsites, off road parking spots etc.

I am trying to understand the real world difference of swapping to some swamper style wheels and various types of tyres? Reviews suggest AT tyres are relatively poor on tarmac and especially in the wet, as well as likely noisy, but how does a more road-focused tyre like the Cooper Discoverer ATT or Avon AX7 really drive and stop compared to something like the Michelin Cross Climate on typical UK roads all year round, and compared to the low quality summer tyres already on the bigger wheels? Obviously its no sports car but my priority is being abe to grip and stop safely on tarmac year round and am conscious that tooling along on country roads with 2+ tonnes of van can present some challenges at times!

I have zero interest in more aggressive AT tyres like the BFGs etc, but can find relatively little about the road end of that spectrum -- cant find relevant reviews of the AX7 or Discoverer etc anywhere. Seems like loads of people run these aggressive tyres and I dont read loads of stories about issues etc, so are the more road focused tyres an issue in real world conditions? Seems like all the suppliers of swamper style wheels only really offer AT tyres and the few I've spoken with seem happy to recomment them, but I'd like to know what people's real experiences are please. I've read loads of pages of stuff here but most tend to focus on the more extreme AT choices or just fitment and style.

Many thanks
We live 1/2mile down a rutted unmade farm track. That, depending on the season is either dust & gravel, mud or ice. We’ve just come back after 3 weeks skiing in the Alps, we’ve crossed icy mountain passes, been on claggy campsites, wild camped in snowbound car parks. We tow a 2 tonne boat in summer, we’ve launched across beaches & down steep seaweed covered slipways. We obviously need a special tyre/wheel combination to cope with all this, so we went for……wait for it……standard Devonports with Pirelli cargo all seasons. Now each to their own, but I personally think there’s waaay too much overthinking goes into wheels & tyres. People try all sorts of exotic combinations of wheel/tyre/suspension & quite often end up back where they started from, all be it considerably poorer.
Just my opinion fwiw.

Last edited:
We live 1/2mile down a rutted unmade farm track. That, depending on the season is either dust & gravel, mud or ice. We’ve just come back after 3 weeks skiing in the Alps, we’ve crossed icy mountain passes, been on claggy campsites, wild camped in snowbound car parks. We tow a 2 tonne boat in summer, we’ve launched across beaches & down steep seaweed covered slipways. We obviously need a special tyre/wheel combination to cope with all this, so we went for……wait for it……standard Devonports with Pirelli cargo all seasons. Now each to their own, but I personally think there’s waaay too much overthinking goes into wheels & tyres. People try all sorts of exotic combinations of wheel/tyre/suspension & quite often end up back where they started from, all be it considerably poorer.
Just my opinion fwiw.
Pirelli Carrier or Goodyear Cargo?

We've just come over the hardnott pass about an hour ago and I'm not afraid to say there was a couple of twitchy moments even with our falken wildpeaks on. Wheelspin and wet roads and 30 degree climbs make for an interesting drive

We've just come over the hardnott pass about an hour ago and I'm not afraid to say there was a couple of twitchy moments even with our falken wildpeaks on. Wheelspin and wet roads and 30 degree climbs make for an interesting drive
Thanks - Thats what I'm looking for - these AT tyres are reputed to have poor wet grip so this is a good example of what they might struggle with. I'm trying to understand what all these tests and reviews mean for real driving conditions.

Thanks - Thats what I'm looking for - these AT tyres are reputed to have poor wet grip so this is a good example of what they might struggle with. I'm trying to understand what all these tests and reviews mean for real driving conditions.
I had Grabber ATs on a Discovery, they were lethal on wet tarmac, never again.

That's why I am trying out the Michelin Cross Climate 2 all season tyres, as they are B rated for wet grip and fuel econ, whilst not being too noisy and M+S rated. Love the look/profile of the Grabber and the Discoverer but I've read a lot of negative reviews about actual on road grip, which was just too much of a compromise for me, as 90/95% of the time I'll be on the road.

To be fair, the falken wildpeaks have been excellent so far, especially in wet and snowy conditions. I think I was asking too much given the conditions today and the camber, gradient and twisting Road of the hardnott pass. If anyone has been over it they will know what I mean :cool:

To be fair, the falken wildpeaks have been excellent so far, especially in wet and snowy conditions. I think I was asking too much given the conditions today and the camber, gradient and twisting Road of the hardnott pass. If anyone has been over it they will know what I mean :cool:
I know exactly what you mean, we came down the pass one rainy night in a Disco4, I had opposite corners off the ground at one point, which is saying something given the suspension travel on a D4o_O

I know exactly what you mean, we came down the pass one rainy night in a Disco4, I had opposite corners off the ground at one point, which is saying something given the suspension travel on a D4o_O
Bloody hell!! That top trumps my twitchy bum moments earlier!!

Wildpeak user here and so far been great in wet and some mild snow . I think they are more road focused than off road as the tread looks less aggressive than most . Not noisy either , no squeaky bums yet certainly not as noisy as the BFG AT on my work truck which rumble annoyingly and have had my back end out on wet roundabouts or corners on lots of occasions at low speeds utterly terrifying sometimes thank goodness our fleet manager has specced more road biased tyres for next trucks due soon.

My 0.02 on this topic. For occasional and not planned off-roading, Gravel or mud All Seasons (Crossclimate 2 on my van) win hands down.
If off tracks, gravel and mud is 20% or more of your life style I prefer AT and suffer the sling and arrows of noise, poor wet grip on tarmac, poor braking.

Sorry Computer just crashed. I was going to say , after 10 years of racing off road, and winning several class wins against some of the fastest cars in the country, one thing I learned was everything is about tyres. ATs are a huge compromise. They don’t do anything particularly well. I have ran many many different tread patterns and many different manufacturers both on race cars and tow cars with the race car on the trailer. ATs are a fashion statement, along with 20 inch rims.

Sorry Computer just crashed. I was going to say , after 10 years of racing off road, and winning several class wins against some of the fastest cars in the country, one thing I learned was everything is about tyres. ATs are a huge compromise. They don’t do anything particularly well. I have ran many many different tread patterns and many different manufacturers both on race cars and tow cars with the race car on the trailer. ATs are a fashion statement, along with 20 inch rims.
Isn’t it all just “fashion” though in reality?. The whole scene is based on personal taste , image , difference or whatever. I mean front splitters on a van isn’t about downforce is it or the other million different modifications we all do . I didn’t technically need AT tyres but I like the look and had 20” prior which I also liked the look of (admittedly not the ride) none of its doing any harm and life’s too short to worry just do what feels right and makes you happy along the way as long as it’s safe obviously .

Thanks - this is what I'm trying to understand I guess....

Could we say the same about All Seasons tyres? I know professional reviews say they've hugely improved in recent years, but could we argue they are too much of a jack-of-all-trades? Mind you, if a tyre scores B & B in the EU labels then it can't be bad in real world conditions I suppose. Plenty of these AT tyres get D or worse labels.

Back