All season vs all terrain tyres

Leopold Stuff

Hi there!
I'm looking for an AT tyre with rolling resistance and wet breaking class not higher than C for my T6.1 California (only 10% "off road") and high load index (109/107T or 104H) for 215/60R17 but there is almost none.

So I thought maybe all season would be enough. I know Michelin CrossClimate are great, but how they behave in mud?

Have you seen a new Yolohama bluearth van all season ry61? The tread looks like AT - what do you think?

I think lots of people now is buying AT tyres mostly for swamper look. What I care about is safety (on tarmac, gravel, muddy roads and against puncture) and economics (long tread life and low fuel consumption).

Thanks for all your feedback.

I found the Pirelli Scorpion Allterrain Plus very good. Not too aggressive and very quiet (compared to other tyres I have used in the past)
Thanks for your answer. Those tyres are nice, but unfortunately, there is no size I can use without loosing warranty (in Poland).

Some countries do have strict vehicle type restrictions, but generally, warranty is only an issue for the systems directly related to the part you change, not the "Whole" warranty which is a manufacturer issue.

Some countries do have strict vehicle type restrictions, but generally, warranty is only an issue for the systems directly related to the part you change, not the "Whole" warranty which is a manufacturer issue.
True, but as far as I know lots of parts can be related to the tire size. Not sure if directly but I don't want to take a risk.

Michelin do an Agilis Cross climate

MICHELIN AGILIS CROSSCLIMATE 215/60R17C 109/107T​

I use Latitude cross’ in a 235/55/17 which are pretty good but only 103 LR. I’d expect the Agilis van tyre to be similar with higher load rating.

is it just me or AT tyres are awefull? I had expensive AT tyres and they are noisy on motorway, terrible on wet tarmac and poor traction on wet tarmac as well. Terrible at braking. Terrible in icy Condition. Almost no grip at all.
They are great on mud, not so much on wet grass.

All season tyres have improved significantly over the last decade, whilst they are obviously not as capable off road as an all terrain tyre, the gap is much smaller than it used to be.
I use all season tyres on mud, wet grass and in woodland, although 90% of my driving is on road where I want a good safe quiet tyre.
Harry from "Harry's Farm" / "Harry's garage" YouTube channels uses his farm 4x4 off road every day.
When he got a new LR Defender he forgot to specify AT tyres so it arrived with all season tyres and he initially planned to have them changed for AT tyres.
He used it on the farm and was so surprised at how good the tyres were on fields that he's now sticking with the all seasons.
He knows a bit about tyres and driving off road.

All season tyres have improved significantly over the last decade, whilst they are obviously not as capable off road as an all terrain tyre, the gap is much smaller than it used to be.
I use all season tyres on mud, wet grass and in woodland, although 90% of my driving is on road where I want a good safe quiet tyre.
Harry from "Harry's Farm" / "Harry's garage" YouTube channels uses his farm 4x4 off road every day.
When he got a new LR Defender he forgot to specify AT tyres so it arrived with all season tyres and he initially planned to have them changed for AT tyres.
He used it on the farm and was so surprised at how good the tyres were on fields that he's now sticking with the all seasons.
He knows a bit about tyres and driving off road.
That's exactly what I think. Now I need to find the best all season tire for my needs :)

Have you seen the Yokohama bluearth I mentioned? Do you have any thoughts about them?

Michelin do an Agilis Cross climate

MICHELIN AGILIS CROSSCLIMATE 215/60R17C 109/107T​

I use Latitude cross’ in a 235/55/17 which are pretty good but only 103 LR. I’d expect the Agilis van tyre to be similar with higher load rating.
Great tire what I've heard but I'm wondering how it behaves on more off-road environment.

Great tire what I've heard but I'm wondering how it behaves on more off-road environment.
TBH if it’s 90% road IMO I’d stick with something like the Agilis.

If you want a bit more AT I think you’ll have to compromise either LR or change size to allow something like the Latitude Cross’ I have or the Pirellis
(Which are a VW approved size & LR for my T32 4m on 17s)

is it just me or AT tyres are awefull? I had expensive AT tyres and they are noisy on motorway, terrible on wet tarmac and poor traction on wet tarmac as well. Terrible at braking. Terrible in icy Condition. Almost no grip at all.
They are great on mud, not so much on wet grass.
I've driven several farm pick ups on various AT tyres and my experience of them was the same as yours.

I disagree. I've had BFG A/T3s on my t6 for about 35k, did a lot of gravel tracks and snow for first 10k or so, hence ysing them. Then we moved, mostly motorway now, although use them on some muddy tracks and fields now and again. They've never let me down in heavy rain or ice on the roads.

That said, I'm considering all seasons next, when these eventually wear out!

And what is the agilis crossclimate life time? How many km/miles can you make on these tyres? Are they resistant for punctures or cuts on the sharp gravel road?

Agilis cross climate, 40k miles after, decent on wet and dry, snow ice at that point not so good. Probably at 30k they start losing their multiseason capability. Replaced with Crossclimate 2 for Suv. A lot more comfortable compared to the Agilis and better grip on grass. Not sure about lifespan, done 10k miles on my old t5 with this and now on 10k miles on my T6. So far great tyre driven 90% on tarmac.

I'm getting some 17in AT wheels with Michelin Cross Climate 2's (235/65/17) in the next 2 weeks. Was facing a similar dilemma, I want something durable that I can drive off the road (not in deep mud or up mountain sides!) that has some decent wet grip on road and doesn't kill the fuel economy I currently get. 95% percent of my driving is on the road (5% is muddy tracks, gravel and campsites) , whilst I love the looks of the AT tyres, I think they'll lose there appeal pretty quickly on long motorway drives!!

I'm getting some 17in AT wheels with Michelin Cross Climate 2's (235/65/17) in the next 2 weeks. Was facing a similar dilemma, I want something durable that I can drive off the road (not in deep mud or up mountain sides!) that has some decent wet grip on road and doesn't kill the fuel economy I currently get. 95% percent of my driving is on the road (5% is muddy tracks, gravel and campsites) , whilst I love the looks of the AT tyres, I think they'll lose there appeal pretty quickly on long motorway drives!!
Yup, exactly same here! Glad to hear that my solution seems a good idea. I hope you (we) will be happy with the cross climate's ;)

Bit the bullet with the Cross Climates... will see how they go over the new few weeks and report back!

View attachment 186338
I think you have nailed the solution I am looking for on my van as well - they look brilliant on those wheels and I sound like what I need.
Can I ask a couple of questions if you dont mind please -
1. are these the Navis Mac-AT's? 17s or 18's?
2. could you tell me the tyre size as well please
3. is the van lowered - looks like a little drop or maybe this just fills the arches better?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Back