Swamper/AT wheels with 4 season tyres

Hi, my first post here. This is for anyone interested in thinking about purchasing Swamper alloys fitted with All Season tyres and how they look fitted to a T6.
I've just recently had a set of Fuel Covert Matt Black wheels with Michelin All Season CrossClimate 2 tyres (235 55 R17 103H XL) load rated fitted to my T32 Camper.
Purchased from Elite Wheels as a wheel and tyre package which I requested all seasons in place of all terrain tyres and they were all too happy to help.
View attachment 148629View attachment 148630View attachment 148655
Thanks for posting Simon, looking to change my BFG Ko2's at the moment due to noise so this helps.

Hi, my first post here. This is for anyone interested in thinking about purchasing Swamper alloys fitted with All Season tyres and how they look fitted to a T6.
I've just recently had a set of Fuel Covert Matt Black wheels with Michelin All Season CrossClimate 2 tyres (235 55 R17 103H XL) load rated fitted to my T32 Camper.
Purchased from Elite Wheels as a wheel and tyre package which I requested all seasons in place of all terrain tyres and they were all too happy to help.
Elite get my vote too , extremely helpful and very good service.

Hi Vegt, the suspension setup fitted are coil-overs Twin-Adjust-Projekt Sensitive Comfort T32 ( by Eibach and Koni ). Lowered by 40mm but still reasonable ground clearance.
I purchased these online from Transporter HQ and everything supplied in the kit I needed ( my T6 did not required any new top mounts or rubbers )

This suspension is currently set to give maximum level of comfort with much improved road handling compared to the stock t32 suspension.

Thanks Simon, looks great and helpful to see. I was thinking of doing similar with a 17” Black Rhino Warlord but unsure about the profile. I’ve been quoted for a 235/65 all season. The 235/60’s in this thread look good too. Any thoughts on 235/65 good or bad welcome please. Thanks again,

Hi WeeCobi,
Thanks for your kind comments.
At time of picking my wheels I done quite a bit of research for the type (all terrain vs all season) and make of tyre that I wanted for my setup. The easy part to decide on was the size of tyre width and profile - 235/55/r17 keeps my Speedo error at vertically zero % with good level of comfort. I also find the Michelin All Season CrossClimate 2 tyres are performing well in wet, good mpg and definitely not noisy on the road.
You could look at this website with your wheel/tyre dimensions to see how much your Speedo may be out by:
Enjoy your new wheels!

If my tyre size calculations are correct*:

235/60 R17 has a tyre height of ~141mm
225/65 R17 has a tyre height of ~146mm
235/65 R17 has a tyre height of ~153mm
245/65 R17 has a tyre height of ~159mm

For context, standard 16” steels with 205/65 R16s have a tyre height of ~133mm, and standard 17” with 235/55 R17s have a tyre height of ~129mm.

(*Note: My tyre size calculation doesn’t take rim width into consideration - I’m not sure how much difference that makes. I assume not much because I don’t think the output of willtheyfit.com differs based on rim width either.)

@WeeCobi, hope the above info is of some use to you. 235/65 R17s seem to be quite popular. I’ve not seen anyone complain of rubbing on 8.5j ET34 wheel which is similar to the Warlord (which I believe is 8j ET35).

I think the only problem is that the bigger the tyre the more the speedo will be out by (along with any calculations that rely on this, like automatic gearing, MPG calcuations, etc). I believe this can be reconfigured though. And it’ll be out whether you go with 235/60 or 235/65! ;) (You can stick with 235/55 R17 if you’d prefer to keep everything accurate like @SimonJ said above.)

You can see some other 17” wheel/tyre combinations in Show us your 17s too. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi WeeCobi,
Thanks for your kind comments.
At time of picking my wheels I done quite a bit of research for the type (all terrain vs all season) and make of tyre that I wanted for my setup. The easy part to decide on was the size of tyre width and profile - 235/55/r17 keeps my Speedo error at vertically zero % with good level of comfort. I also find the Michelin All Season CrossClimate 2 tyres are performing well in wet, good mpg and definitely not noisy on the road.
You could look at this website with your wheel/tyre dimensions to see how much your Speedo may be out by:
Enjoy your new wheels!
Thanks @SimonJ I think you chose well. I just can’t decide. I am not sold on lowering, would like big wheel/tyre to fill the void but not a fan of fouling the speedo. I think I may get my factory 16”s powder coated black and take my time. Only had the Kombi a week. Thanks again.

If my tyre size calculations are correct*:

235/60 R17 has a tyre height of ~141mm
225/65 R17 has a tyre height of ~146mm
235/65 R17 has a tyre height of ~153mm
245/65 R17 has a tyre height of ~159mm

For context, standard 16” steels with 205/65 R16s have a tyre height of ~133mm, and standard 17” with 235/55 R17s have a tyre height of ~129mm.

(*Note: My tyre size calculation doesn’t take rim width into consideration - I’m not sure how much difference that makes. I assume not much because I don’t think the output of willtheyfit.com differs based on rim width either.)

@WeeCobi, hope the above info is of some use to you. 235/65 R17s seem to be quite popular. I’ve not seen anyone complain of rubbing on 8.5j ET34 wheel which is similar to the Warlord (which I believe is 8j ET35).

I think the only problem is that the bigger the tyre the more the speedo will be out by (along with any calculations that rely on this, like automatic gearing, MPG calcuations, etc). I believe this can be reconfigured though. And it’ll be out whether you go with 235/60 or 235/65! ;) (You can stick with 235/55 R17 if you’d prefer to keep everything accurate like @SimonJ said above.)

You can see some other 17” wheel/tyre combinations in Show us your 17s too. :thumbsup:
Many thanks @vegt - I really appreciate you taking the time to explain. All makes sense but I’ve never contemplated before so really helpful as were the pointers to other threads.

Quick question, thinking of using my Devonport Alloys 17" which came om my T32 as spare wheelset.

My question is would the 235/65 17 Scorpion AT+ fit the Devonports which I believe are 7" wide.

Cheers

Garry
Did you ever find out if this combination works, Garry? I’m thinking about doing the same thing but am still confused about the fit.

thanks - Si.

Did you ever find out if this combination works, Garry? I’m thinking about doing the same thing but am still confused about the fit.

thanks - Si.
Hi Si, sorry never got a response

Still up for a change to the Scorpions , but it's an expensive mistake to just have a punt.

Maybe Oli @BognorMotors
Or Chris @The Van Cave can give us some advice.

I'm sure someone on the forum will have this combo already fitted we get a reply

All the best for the New Year

Garry

Hi Si, sorry never got a response

Still up for a change to the Scorpions , but it's an expensive mistake to just have a punt.

Maybe Oli @BognorMotors
Or Chris @The Van Cave can give us some advice.

I'm sure someone on the forum will have this combo already fitted we get a reply

All the best for the New Year

Garry
Devonports and a 235/65 17 will be fine at standard ride height or even with mild lowering. I would add some spacers behind them though, to improve the aesthetics and also ensure they don’t rub on the inside. The offset on the Devonports mean they sit quite a way inboard.

I would go with 15mm front and 25mm rear, or even better, 20mm front and 30mm rear.

Devonports and a 235/65 17 will be fine at standard ride height or even with mild lowering. I would add some spacers behind them though, to improve the aesthetics and also ensure they don’t rub on the inside. The offset on the Devonports mean they sit quite a way inboard.

I would go with 15mm front and 25mm rear, or even better, 20mm front and 30mm rear.
Thanks for your fast response and your advice

Cheers Garry

Thank you.

could I ask another question if I may? I reckon I’m not a complete idiot but for the life of me this wheel size / alloy size game absolutely has be flummoxed. I have seen the websites with the comparisons but it still doesn’t make sense enough for me to drop some dollar.

I know I have been asking questions about Devonports but what I’d really like to do is stick with my 18” Wolfrace Assasins and just buy some decent AT tyres to go on them. My van is a T6 T32 and has standard suspension.

I would rather not mess about with spacers etc if I don’t have to because I don’t understand it all.

I have got myself settled on either the Pirelli AT Plus or the General Grabber AT3 but Jesus I don’t know what sizes to buy. I know it’s a pain and everyone asked the same or very similar questions but I’ve searched for my specific quezzy and can’t find the answer. Is there any chance you could lay it down for me in terms of which ones I could get that will actually fit; if they’ll even fit at all. (Not bothered about Speedo change but don’t want them rubbing)

A thousand thank yous in advance.

Si.

could I ask another question if I may? I reckon I’m not a complete idiot but for the life of me this wheel size / alloy size game absolutely has be flummoxed. I have seen the websites with the comparisons but it still doesn’t make sense enough for me to drop some dollar.

I know I have been asking questions about Devonports but what I’d really like to do is stick with my 18” Wolfrace Assasins and just buy some decent AT tyres to go on them. My van is a T6 T32 and has standard suspension.

I would rather not mess about with spacers etc if I don’t have to because I don’t understand it all.

I have got myself settled on either the Pirelli AT Plus or the General Grabber AT3 but Jesus I don’t know what sizes to buy. I know it’s a pain and everyone asked the same or very similar questions but I’ve searched for my specific quezzy and can’t find the answer. Is there any chance you could lay it down for me in terms of which ones I could get that will actually fit; if they’ll even fit at all. (Not bothered about Speedo change but don’t want them rubbing)

A thousand thank yous in advance.

Si.
Si, you're not alone - I too struggle with all this offset, spacer stuff. If I get this wrong, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me (which will then add to my understanding), but AFAIU...

The purpose of spacers is to ensure the wheel sits in the correct position within the wheel arch - too little spacing and the tyres may rub on the inside or the arch liner; too much spacing and the tyres may rub on the outside of the wheel arch or the tyres may protrude beyond the bodywork (known as "poke"), which is illegal and may cause rear tyres to foul the sliding door.

The spacing required will vary depending on the ET value of your chosen wheel. ET is a measure of how far recessed into the wheel arch the wheel will sit, expressed as either a positive or a negative measurement (in millimetres) between the vertical centreline of the wheel and the mounting face of the wheel. I found this link useful for gaining an understanding of ET: Alloy Wheel Offset - Wheel Offset Explained.

Hopefully you will see that spacing and ET work hand-in-hand to determine where a wheel sits within the wheel arch and that you can only "not mess about with spacers" if you choose a wheel with an appropriate ET value.

HTH :thumbsup:

Si, you're not alone - I too struggle with all this offset, spacer stuff. If I get this wrong, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me (which will then add to my understanding), but AFAIU...

The purpose of spacers is to ensure the wheel sits in the correct position within the wheel arch - too little spacing and the tyres may rub on the inside or the arch liner; too much spacing and the tyres may rub on the outside of the wheel arch or the tyres may protrude beyond the bodywork (known as "poke"), which is illegal and may cause rear tyres to foul the sliding door.

The spacing required will vary depending on the ET value of your chosen wheel. ET is a measure of how far recessed into the wheel arch the wheel will sit, expressed as either a positive or a negative measurement (in millimetres) between the vertical centreline of the wheel and the mounting face of the wheel. I found this link useful for gaining an understanding of ET: Alloy Wheel Offset - Wheel Offset Explained.

Hopefully you will see that spacing and ET work hand-in-hand to determine where a wheel sits within the wheel arch and that you can only "not mess about with spacers" if you choose a wheel with an appropriate ET value.

HTH :thumbsup:
Thanks Bav - that makes things a little clearer. One step closer to understanding at least. I’d love to know what the maximum sizes that can fit in my arches on my standard suspension and still be useable with bumps and without rub. That’s the magic question.

Back