All season vs all terrain tyres

Hi
I have some Navis Gelida-AT 17” in black which are as new as I decided I preferred my other wheels so removed immediately. I bought as wheel only. Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks
I know it a a while ago but do you still have the gelidas for sale??

looking to put Falken Wildpeak on mine but don’t know to go for 235 or 245 tyres,
Is there any pros and cons
It’s on B14 suspension

Thank you all for a great thread; I hope you all don’t mind me resurrecting this as I’d like some tyre advice.

I have been hankering after either some Cooper Discoverer ATT or Avon AX7 for my T5.1 in 225 60 17. Being completely honest, I like the idea of the robustness in a mild AT tyre, but in no way need it on my 2WD T28 on standard Devonports. The closest the van gets to off road are campsites and festival fields.

I’ve been on Cross Climates (235 55 17) for three years and have been very happy with them. I fancy a change and am now considering the Vredestein Quadrac Pro in 225 60 17; my theory being that the slightly higher sidewall will help to iron out the terrible roads here in Essex - comfort is the priority as the van is a fairly heavy converted camper.

So it’s either the Quadrac Pros or the Avon AX7. Common sense coupled to the experiences in this thread would reinforce the Quadracs but I’d be interested in your collective thoughts on both tyres. I am currently on standard suspension bit will be having a Koni/40mm lowering spring upgrade fitted by CRS in spring 24. TIA.

Last edited:
Thank you all for a great thread; I hope you all don’t mind me resurrecting this as I’d like some tyre advice.

I have been hankering after either some Cooper Discoverer ATT or Avon AX7 for my T5.1 in 225 60 17. Being completely honest, I like the idea of the robustness in a mild AT tyre, but in no way need it on my 2WD T28 on standard Devonports. The closest the van gets to off road are campsites and festival fields.

I’ve been on Cross Climates (235 55 17) for three years and have been very happy with them. I fancy a change and am now considering the Vredestein Quadrac Pro in 225 60 17; my theory being that the slightly higher sidewall will help to iron out the terrible roads here in Essex - comfort is the priority as the van is a fairly heavy converted camper.

So it’s either the Quadrac Pros or the Avon AX7. Common sense coupled to the experiences in this thread would reinforce the Quadracs but I’d be interested in your collective thoughts on both tyres. I am currently on standard suspension bit will be having a Koni/40mm lowering spring upgrade fitted by CRS in spring 24. TIA.

Your usage seems perfect for an all-season tyre such as the cross climates you have now or the quatracs. In my opinion fitting an AT tyre will give you better performance <1% of the time (i.e. when you're actually on a muddy field) and worse grip/braking/efficiency during the >99% of time you're not in a field.

I can't comment on the Avon's has I've no experience of them, but I can't recommend the Vredesteins enough. Though I should say I'm currently on Michelin CC2's, but in the brief use on snow recently I was not impressed, and have just ordered the Vredesteins' to replace the tyres on my wife's car.

I can't comment on the Avon's has I've no experience of them, but I can't recommend the Vredesteins enough. Though I should say I'm currently on Michelin CC2's, but in the brief use on snow recently I was not impressed, and have just ordered the Vredesteins' to replace the tyres on my wife's car.
That’s interesting. I’ve been very impressed with the CC but I’m not sure they warrant the ~£50 per corner premium over the Vredesteins.

I understand I pretty much subliminally answered my own question however, i think the Quadracs are the answer. I hope the slightly taller profile will help with our ‘shitty’ roads. I hit a pothole in the dark just before Christmas and am thankful I wasn’t on the motorbike.

I've had four sets of Vredesteins and only got the CC's because they had an off on which made them the same price as the Vred's. I agree, I can't see the price premium, and in fact ( unless they last 50K plus ) I will be going back to the Vred's for the van next time.

I’ve been running Agilis CrossClimates for a few months now and they have been great. Currently in Snowdonia and have been on quite a bit of wet grass / mud without issue.

They are quite chunky, here’s compared to the 4k mile old originals:

IMG_0736.jpeg

I also quite like the side wall protection:

IMG_0753.jpeg

Used to run AT’s General Grabber 3’s on a Range Rover as well as Wintrac Extreme S’s and each excelled in a particular situation the AT’s used to tow a horse box across a muddy or grassy field without any drama and the Wintrac’s were amazing in the Scottish Highlands in deep snow!

The all seasons feel like a nice compromise, but don’t come close to the specific tyres in their specific situation.

I also had an old defender on some Michelin Latitude Cross and despite my best efforts in the lakes / peaks it never got stuck, so I have a bit of faith in Michelin!

Last edited:
I’ve been running Agilis CrossClimates for a few months now and they have been great Currently in Snowdonia and have been on quite a bit of wet grass / mud without issue.

They are quite chunky, here’s compared to the 4k old originals:

View attachment 223688

I also quite like the side wall protection:

View attachment 223690

Used to run AT’s General Grabber 3’s on a Range Rover as well as Wintrac Extreme S’s and each excelled in a particular situation the AT’s used to tow a horse box across a muddy field without any drama and the Wintrac’s were amazing in the Scottish Highlands! The all seasons feel like a nice compromise, but don’t come close to the specific tyres!
Yup agreed. I think the all season tyres are the ones. I live in Essex so don’t experience the conditions that our Scottish brothers and sisters experience. I don’t tow and am pretty good at driving and on and avoiding soaked grass/light mud that might result in getting bogged in.

The Quadrac AS will be ordered in the New Year - As usual, following a typical ‘male’ thought process, I knew the answer but needed some positive reinforcement from you fine people - thank you.

Back