Puncture: Replace or Repair?

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
I am off to get a tyre repaired. Another screw in the Cali - second time in this, third time overall (the Subaru got one a month ago); both have fairly heavy duty All Season tyres - ARRGHHH!!!!

Done a near forensic sweep of the driveway; nothing there. I suspect it's one of the 474747575749023 holiday home building sites in the area spewing screws and nails.

Used them for years on all our overland trips all the ones I have put in are a sound as a tyre garage plug.. and the strings I put in my BFGs did a further 70K miles. What is your experience based on?

It was a very slow flat and I have a spare wheel; all sorted now.

BUT they noticed very uneven brake pad wear; inner pad on 8mm, outer less than 3mm; possibly seizes caliper. It’s going in on the 23rd to get it checked out..

Used them for years on all our overland trips all the ones I have put in are a sound as a tyre garage plug.. and the strings I put in my BFGs did a further 70K miles. What is your experience based on?

My own! Sounds like I've been unlucky , possibly a faulty batch of strings, back of 5 used on both motorcycle and van, all got me home then deflated by the following day.

The ones I use are fat and very sticky almost the size of a pensil. But they won’t work if you have had any tyre slime of similar wet blocking agent in the trye before.
The strings are covered in vulcsnising gel and will bond together after installed. I use a whole string, bang it right in twist a couple of times to make a “knot” then pull the auger out fast. This leaves a knot that glues itself and wont come back out.
IMG_2561.JPG

Used them myself after taking @Loz advice. Got about 10k miles before they failed. Needed new tyres anyway. Never tried the twist method might give that a go next time.

..message ends..

Sorry for a late reply but been stuck at sea for 3 days with no signal in the Atlantic ...... the reason I was saying only for a temporary repair is because the tyre manufacturers say so, probably because if it ges too close to the wall of the tyre it then becomes dangerous and also would fail an MOT which would also make insurance nill and void in any accident.
Are the ones you use recommended by tyre manufacturers ?
I must say the ones that you show in your photographs look very good
What are yours and where can you buy them please, always handy for an emergency in some out of the way place ?

Same rules apply, only in the main belt and not close to the sidewall.

It goes without saying the no tyre manufacturers want you to repair any tyre it goes against new tye sales.

The kit I have is a Ranger Stork with bigger strings I got from Amazon. Other augers are available.

Same rules apply, only in the main belt and not close to the sidewall.

It goes without saying the no tyre manufacturers want you to repair any tyre it goes against new tye sales.

The kit I have is a Ranger Stork with bigger strings I got from Amazon. Other augers are available.

Thanks for that.
I also fully understand what you say about tyre manufacturers.

Bike Seal.....has a NATO supply number, very impressive demo using motorcycle and Range Rover inflated tyres with various nails, screwdrivers being driven into them and instantly sealing. Apparently police stingers had to be redesigned as they were not as effective when this stuff was in the tyres. I have it in my bike tyres.

I used a commercial tyre seal for ages, it works great on agricultural tyres and would seal a hole made by a chisell but it has a few downsides.
Cant be mixed with strings as it prevents vulcanising, on very rough off-road tracks can be spat out, tyre fitters hate it as it make a mess, can cause some wheel balance issues for a few miles every day until it and has evened itself around the tyre.

Apparently some tyre seals contain chemicals which effectively eat away the inside. Bike Seal doesn’t apparently. Magic stuff. Brother has just watched demo video and will be putting it in his bike tyres.

Hi, got a puncture today, well within tread but a u nail / staple type thing.
Do you think it can still be repaired with it being two holes close together?
Really hoping so.... DSC_0524.JPG

Back