Problem with overheated front brake

Vanderlust

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have a question re a brake problem maybe someone could advise on. Currently wandering in Europe but now on hold waiting for a new front left calliper pads and flexi pipe. Was on a level road not a steep decline when the TPMS warning flashed up. Stopped in next lay-by and found the front left calliper and wheel severely overheated. Other three hubs were normal. No indication prior to this noise vibration etc. Going to take two weeks to get back on the road “ joy”. As only the front left had overheated I am assuming the calliper itself has started to bind and replacing it should be all that is needed.
Does anyone know of any other fault/problem that could cause a brake issue on just one side of an axle.
Cheers

That's a bit awkward...
My immediate concern would be an overheated and possibly warped disc if things got that hot. Also I wonder if the heat could have soaked into the wheel bearing if, understandably, you just parked it.
Time will tell but I would be changing or at the very least checking the calipers and pistons ASAP. In my limited experience, it's piston corrosion and/or debris/corrosion around the caliper and sliders which causes brakes to stick on.

Had a what I thought was a stuck caliper on a Vitara. Stripped caliper and no issues, re assembled and got stuck again. Ask for help on a forum and was told to replace flexi pipe as had likely failed internally and was allowing fluid to travel back. Thought unlikely but gave it a shot. Turns out it was the flexi.

Many thanks the bear 78 and Jayc001 for your replies. The disc was new last year and I’m hoping it is ok. The wheel bearing is a concern as the wheel doesn’t spin very freely in neutral (dsg) but no sign of the grease running out . No vw dealer would even look at the van till 15th September so will have to replace the parts and hope for the best. The van was serviced and “health checked” for what that’s worth before we left but I’m guessing that unless the pads or discs need replacing the wheels don’t come off so your info re sliders corrosion is most likely. Replacing the flexi pipe so if that’s been the issue should be ok. Wasn’t sure if there was a sensor or similar could’ve caused the problem.Parts should arrive sometime Wednesday/ Friday and if they are correct !!!
will be back on the road . Cheers

Hope you get going again soon.
The age of the disc doesn't come into play. If a brake disc overheats it can warp when cooling. To avoid further downtime you are probably best to have a replacement disc ready. When you spin the hub you can observe the disc to see if it's spinning true. And also have new slider pins on standby or sandpaper to clean the old ones in case they are not sliding freely. And grease.

Are you swapping it yourself? Do you know the spanner/socket sizes you need?

Any competent garage should be able to source and replace the brake flexi, then bleed the brake. It doesn't need to be a VW garage.
As a quick check, have you tried loosening the bleed nipple to allow any retained pressure in the calliper to release? If that works, then I would be pretty certain it was the flexi hose.

Hi thanks again for your replies. I was hoping that a new thicker disc would stand the excess heat better than a thin worn one, having had to drive half a mile or so from where the recovery dumped us to the only garage in the area that would look at the van,the 4 hour wait for the recovery had allowed the hub to cool completely, there was no judder or vibration on braking and the mechanic who initially stripped the calliper did look at the disc so it should be ok.
My mechanicing skills went into decline when I bought my first Nissan Bluebird, had 3 in fifteen years, dull as ditchwater but utterly bulletproof. Also found a mate was an ace mechanic and has been servicing my car/ bike since 1996. The T 6 is the only vehicle I bought new and stayed with the dealer for the warranty but that last service was the last time. I have replaced brake pads in the past but not a calliper. I don’t have a big enough hex socket to undo the calliper and the mechanic assures me that when the parts arrive he will fit them so I’m not going to risk making an arse of it. Thanks for the offer of info re tools etc.
Getting the parts has been the major issue . Broke down last tues. by wed pm garage stated the parts were not available at any supplier??? I remembered a fellow windsurfer who lives in Germany and works for Audi who with my VIN checked vw systems direct and confirmed plenty of availability 24 hours to any vw garage in Italy. Problem may have been that in 2018 vw changed the part no for the calliper by adding a X (denotes exchange part) but in late 2022 changed it back again. Any search including the X would return “now unavailable “. This was passed to the garage and by thurs lunchtime and the payment of 300 euro deposit told the parts would arrive wed , fri next (now this) week . Again ordered with our VIN so should be correct but I will believe it when I see them.
However on a campsite near Oulx been stuck in worse places.
Thanks again.

Flexible pipes can fail and cause the caliper to stick on. They can perish and develop a bulge which acts like a one way valve trapping the pressure in the caliper. Easy to check, open the bleed nipple and see if the piston can be pushed back with out excessive pressure.

Back on the road!!! Parts arrived and fitted thurs. New calliper was not vw oem part but fitted and working. Mechanic put new pads on both front callipers and gave the offside a good clean and check. I had a good look at the original flexi pipe but couldn’t see any damage kinks or bulges etc but who knows.
Made the 450 km trip across to Lake Garda with no problems so hopefully the repair will see me back to the UK.
Looking to upgrade the vans suspension in November so will have another look at the brakes then. Van has the big brakes and ( up to now) been very happy with their performance, so maybe replace both front callipers with VW oem and EBC pads, but lots of good ideas on the forum.
Thanks again for your replies, much appreciated.
Cheers

Back