Brake Pad & Disc change - How I Done It -

A few years back I read it was 9mm and ordered a long reach one only to find it was too big when I went to do my brakes
Exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Really appreciate the confirmation guys.

Can anybody confirm the Allen key size for 340mm brakes? Where did the 9mm originate from?

It's 9mm long for T32 big break calipers

And

7mm long for standard break calipers. T28,T30

It's also detailed in the workshop docs at the start of the thread.

:mexican wave:

Can anybody confirm the Allen key size for 340mm brakes? Where did the 9mm originate from?
Here....

Screenshot_20230522_064641_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: DXX
Thanks for sharing this post...i have a 2017 T32 204 Sportline and found this great when looking for details of the front brake parts....Just ordered the Brembo parts from ECP.

Thanks for sharing this post...i have a 2017 T32 204 Sportline and found this great when looking for details of the front brake parts....Just ordered the Brembo parts from ECP.
Have a look at the price of Pagid discs and pads from Halfords. You will be surprised.

Speaking of Halfords (again!) I had by brake fluid changed at my local National Auto Center (who I've used in the past before Halfords bought them out so I already know and trust the guys that work there) after I'd changed my disks and pads myself then found my brake pedal had gone squishy. Brake fluid bled and changed for £35 (was on offer at the time, normally £40)
Martin (the mechanic) told me he bled 2.5 liters through to get the brake pedal back. For that sorta money it's not worth getting your hands dirty.
Sourced and fitted the disks and pads myself (pagid all round from Halfords - and well worth getting your hands dirty to save on VW/Indie labour charges) and the brake fluid change/bleed for a total of £220. You'll pay more than that just sourcing the brake parts for the front only from ECP.

Halfords used to be expensive for bits and bobs but they've really suprised me this last few weeks.

I did my fronts a couple of weeks ago. Make sure you get all your ducks in a row before you start.
I got a new torque wrench, a loooong breaker bar and a 9mm long Allen key socket and brake cleaner and axle stands.
It was straightforward. Jack up, axle stands, wheels off. Spray release agent onto retainer bolt.
Remove retainer clip,which on the big brakes is a bugger, then unbolt caliper carrier bolts. Breaker bar worked a treat here.
Then undo the carrier bolts and remove the caliper carrier.
Remove retainer screw and use a big persuader (lump hammer) to knock the disc off. Clean the hub mating face so it shines lol then wind back the pistons.
I used a wind back tool because I already have one. BUT with twin pistons you need to put a piece of ply or similar across the two pistons otherwise as you wind one in the other comes out. Doh!
Oh yeah, remove brake fluid cap before this stage and put some old rags round in case you push fluid out in the wind back process.
Then new disc, retainer screw and reassemble using ceratec lube (not copper slip) on moving edges and rear of pads (that’s what it stated on my pads). Also lube the slider bolts before you reinsert them.
Then pad into caliper and put caliper on and tighten to correct torque. Then put carrier/pad on and bolt up to correct torque. Then put the retainer clip back on. That is massive fun…..not.
Then clean the caliper and paint it orange and put the wheels back on.
Reservoir cap back on then pump the brake pedal a few times until firm.
Then follow pad manufacturer instructions to bed them in.
If I’ve missed anything I apologise but that’s just from memory.
It’s pretty straightforward.
View attachment 162532
OK so taking this on at the weekend - front pads and discs. First timer! And I'm a guide/video follower - not a natural mechanic. Think I've assembled all the bits required in @Dellmassive's list. Have some nutexa pads and discs to go on. But reading really conflicting advice on jacking and axle stands in all the threads here.

Have a 3t bottle jack and axle stands - also new and unused. I can see @Bigsidavies jacked and used axle stands as did @Dellmassive. Dellmassive video on web had the jack going under the front of van somewhere - presume subframe somewhere? But photos here show jack to the side but with axle stands places somewhere underneath. But can I jack one wheel at a time and then add an axle stand, if so where to place axle stand? Or is it best to lift the van in one go and then put both axle stands on the jacking points. If so, where to jack?

If not, @Loz seems to have some good advice - and surprisingly I already have some polymorph somewhere.

I jack the front up using a bottle jack on the jacking point one side at a time then place an axle stand under the big tubular section that I think supports the engine. Then do the other side. Done it a fair few times with no problems.
If you go for a new tyre they will jack it up with a trolley jack until the rear wheel is nearly off the ground too. I don’t think the van is going to bend.
If I’m going to lie under it then the bottle jack AND the axle stand are in place or a couple of off cuts of railway sleeper etc. Never a single point of suspension.

Completed at the weekend. All in all pretty straightforward (with this thread and forum!). Hardest thing was cracking the wheel nuts - had to take the van to tyre place in the end. They were super tight. I’ve since bought a digital torque adapter to help with both the 21mm caliper bolts, wheel nuts - everything really.

Nutexa frictions service and kit is all tip top.

Thanks for all your help

IMG_2678.jpeg

p4:

now to check the master cylinder oil level and cap. . .

View attachment 152931

next up is to pump the break peddle, , ,6 or 7 times . . .

this is to take up the slack from the piston push back . . .

ding ding round two . . .

now repeat for the other side of the van.

Can some of you elaborate when to do this and when you dont have to? Many tutorials and video's online you dont see people doing this.
Although this makes sense (Since I sort of do the same with the MTB brakes).

Ding Ding Round#2

After the van being in for an 70k ALL-IN service, they reported front pads & discs 75% worn.

more on that here: @Dellmassive`s T6 T32 Sportline 204 LWB DSG PV MY18 - Van Adventure

and the awesome guys over at NUTEXA getting us sorted with a new set of fronts. . . Thanks @Pauly & @Nutexa Frictions

see here: NUTEXA - Brake Pad & Disc change - How I Done It -

it was time to get it done. . . . remember last time we split the 21mm sockets on the front calliper bracket bolts. (so couldnt swap the discs)

so this time we have the new IMPACT rated socket set, the breaker bar and extension pole.

plus a new set of M16 21mm bolts (calliper bracket to hub) as according to the book the are stretch bolts and need replacing after removing.

starting off on the easier drivers side, id cracked the wheel bolts a half turn then jacked up the front.

1710518279012.png

I've used two jacks and two axle stands for this job. . . .

the jacks are on the jack points and the axle stands were fitted after on the sub frame.

1710518357872.png

also not forgetting to undo the brake fluid reservoir and place blue role around to catch any drips when the pistons get pushed back.

1710518413970.png

slider pins undone,

then piston pushed back using a pry bar against the pad and disk. . . . .

your see the calliper hanging on a calliper-hook to keep it safe and prevent the hose getting damaged.

1710518493060.png

this time i was ready for those tuff 21mm caliper bracket bolts. . . . id pre soaked them with WD40 already.

i tried the new IMPACT socket with the Nut gun - they didn't budge,

so it was time for the breaker bar + extension . . . . . they were very tight, but with a crack and a groan they come free. - sweet.

using the gun after that they come flying out.

1710518686680.png

now for the good stuff. . . . check out these NUTEXA discs and pads. . .

1710518752821.png

re assembly was simple enough. . .

clean everything with the wire brush.

new disc on, with spline keeper bolt + torqued to spec - see the pdf at the top of the tread. (TTS)

calliper bracket on with new 21mm M16 bolts ( purchased from the local TPS for almost £20 for the four! ) + TTS

pads in piston and on carrier.

small amount of appropriate grease on the slider pins and pad-calliper contact points

calliper on bracket and slider pins + TTS

1710519107504.png

while we are down here. . . . heres a quick look at the "CMS - crankshaft main seal," the van has just been in to VW as the sump seal was leaking( after them doing the CMS), so they have just redone it FOC.

the sump gasket is a type of silicone stuff.

1710519215816.png

Nice . . .

so its wheel back on, and move over to the other side. . .

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

the other side is the same, except we have the pad sensor to deal with. . .

this part is damaged on this van - so i needed to repair the loom, but ill cover that in a different thread.

1710519593713.png

so same procedure to get to this point. . . . .

1710519508330.png

here's a closeup of those tuff bracket bolts while they are soaking in WD40.

1710519560525.png

this is with bracket and disc off, plus the pad sensor loom repaired. . . .

1710519684775.png

a quick rebuild - same as the other side we get to here . . . .

1710519735171.png

with the new pad sensor load - this time cable tied in to make sure it cant come out its mounting bracket

1710519784710.png

a final clean-up and have re fitted the calliper spring plate. . .

1710519835327.png

here is another look at the jack and stand positioning. . .

1710519885046.png

wheels back on, bolts TTS, and its back on the floor. . . .

here you can see why i didn't bother sorting out the red callipers - with these Dutchy rims you hardly see them, so i didn't bother touching up the paint.

maybe when i swap out to the Cantera's or Sportline alloys ill take another look at the painted pots

1710519946144.png

next up was to replace the brake fluid cap. . . no loss of fluid here as the level wasn't topped up as the pads wore down - so the level is now back to the MAX line.

1710520096121.png

now a few presses of the peddle to take up the slack till the peddle firms up.

now time for a gentle test drive. . .

the discs come with that sweet looking black protective coating, and the pads need seasoning / bedding in.

so its out for a local 5miles loop being very carful on the braking. . .

during the test drive with the window open there is a definate fluttering sound that the pads and discs are making - this is normal for the start of the drilled and vented discs.

after the test drive there is a small puff of smoke as the oils and paint coating get used to the hot temps. . .

cheaking all round you can see the pads bedding and wearing off the black coating. . . .

1710520457804.png1710520470400.png

Pic Limit for this post. . .

so that it for now. . . the pads will need a while to bed in . .

so ill go easy for the next 100miles / 5days.

/

Back