Price of diesel in your area?

Those are your opinions (except your last comment, which is a fallacious argument) - they are not facts.

Whilst all would agree that fracking has the potential to be environmentally damaging, most relevant experts have concluded that, done correctly and with the correct safeguards in place, fracking is as safe as any other form of subterranean resource exploitation.

As for the supply of fracked gas not having an impact on fuel prices, that appears to be a denial of the forces of supply and demand, so I'm unsure which economic model you've based your "won't reduce fuel costs" assertion upon. I would agree that if we started fracking today, the benefits wouldn't be realised in time to help with the currently-unfolding fuel-price crisis, but that argument only strengthens my belief that 'net zero' is a contributory factor to said crisis.
In a design sense it could be argued that the concrete lining of the borehole to allow you to pump chemicals, at pressure, into the rock below will never fail. In reality, backed by some cases in the US (where the chemicals have popped up in soil and water samples taken locally) the theory can be wrong. Bentonite - a liquid clay used in tunnel construction among other processes is a lot thicker than a water/chemical mix used for fracking… HS2 ‘lost’ a lot of bentonite recently after pumping it into the ground. They have a lot of expensive consultants, engineers and contractors. Mistakes happen. I am a fully qualified civil engineer with some experience so I see both sides of it. And let’s remember at least some of your ‘relevant experts’ will be funded by those wanting to frack - just as big oil paid for scientists to perform poorly designed studies into how emissions damage our atmosphere and health to ‘muddy the water’ and just as the tobacco and sugar industry also did/do this.

As for regulation we know all to well that doesn’t happen. The EA has lost it’s teeth - well had them knocked out by the current government, and only very rarely prosecutes pollution events. Water companies are not worried by the EA or Ofwat - they even carry out cost benefit analysis to see if they ever did get fined for dumping raw sewage into rivers does the fine work out cheaper than treating effluent. These rivers they dump in are the same ones they abstract water from at higher and higher rates as building new supply reservoirs would eat into profit and… no regulator is forcing them to build secure supply networks (or stop leakage) as our population grows.

The current fuel pricing, despite oil prices dipping back down, is mainly due to greed but is an effective regulator in place to stop price gouging, price fixing?

Sorry but I don’t but I can’t share your optimism on regulation. In a perfect world, yes - fully agree, but let’s be realistic. We have a government (actually, beginning to wonder if we do anymore!) that has stated it wants to rip up the rule book, encourage business, break free of regulation.

And for the mods… price of fuel in Leicester today was 184.9 .

In a design sense it could be argued that the concrete lining of the borehole to allow you to pump chemicals, at pressure, into the rock below will never fail. In reality, backed by some cases in the US (where the chemicals have popped up in soil and water samples taken locally) the theory can be wrong. Bentonite - a liquid clay used in tunnel construction among other processes is a lot thicker than a water/chemical mix used for fracking… HS2 ‘lost’ a lot of bentonite recently after pumping it into the ground. They have a lot of expensive consultants, engineers and contractors. Mistakes happen. I am a fully qualified civil engineer with some experience so I see both sides of it. And let’s remember at least some of your ‘relevant experts’ will be funded by those wanting to frack - just as big oil paid for scientists to perform poorly designed studies into how emissions damage our atmosphere and health to ‘muddy the water’ and just as the tobacco and sugar industry also did/do this.

As for regulation we know all to well that doesn’t happen. The EA has lost it’s teeth - well had them knocked out by the current government, and only very rarely prosecutes pollution events. Water companies are not worried by the EA or Ofwat - they even carry out cost benefit analysis to see if they ever did get fined for dumping raw sewage into rivers does the fine work out cheaper than treating effluent. These rivers they dump in are the same ones they abstract water from at higher and higher rates as building new supply reservoirs would eat into profit and… no regulator is forcing them to build secure supply networks (or stop leakage) as our population grows.

The current fuel pricing, despite oil prices dipping back down, is mainly due to greed but is an effective regulator in place to stop price gouging, price fixing?

Sorry but I don’t but I can’t share your optimism on regulation. In a perfect world, yes - fully agree, but let’s be realistic. We have a government (actually, beginning to wonder if we do anymore!) that has stated it wants to rip up the rule book, encourage business, break free of regulation.

And for the mods… price of fuel in Leicester today was 184.9 .
Okay, let me summarise what I think you're saying. Theoretically, fracking can be done safely, but you don't trust the government to legislate for the required safeguards, the regulator to enforce such safeguards, or the frackers (engineering firms) to implement such safeguards, and that, regardless, mistakes can and do happen. You also question the motivation of some of the experts and the morals of some actors in the petrol/diesel supply chain. Hopefully, the above doesn't misrepresent your position - I'm sure you'll correct me if it does ;).

I'm not going to argue that there isn't an element of profiteering by some in the supply chain - that's self-evident - but I will argue that, had we not been in thrall of 'net zero' and of climate activism for the past few years, then we would still have a functioning coal industry, we'd still be fully engaged in North Sea oil exploration and, potentially, we'd have a developing fracking industry. Such domestic energy production, I argue, would have helped insulate the UK from the worst extremes of the international energy market.

Regarding the funding of experts by vested interests - agreed, but that works both ways. The environmental lobby are equally as guilty of commissioning skewed research and funding their own experts and, just because their motivation isn't monetary, doesn't make their manipulation any less reprehensible/more virtuous.

Mistakes happen - I would agree with that. You will note that I didn't say fracking was risk-free, but that it is "as safe as any other form of subterranean resource exploitation".

I am not going to engage with you regarding your narrative that everything in the UK (or anything relating to the UK government) is substandard/ dysfunctional/ corrupt/ without moral direction, etc., as (a) that falls directly into the realms of politics, and (b) we would fall out.

EDIT: Unleaded fuel in Sainsburys Halifax yesterday was 172.9.

I'm not going to argue that there isn't an element of profiteering by some in the supply chain - that's self-evident - but I will argue that, had we not been in thrall of 'net zero' and of climate activism for the past few years,
If we hadn't listened to all the tree huggers and Swampies in the 70's we would still have a good number of Nuclear power stations covering most of our power needs today, but hey no...

If we hadn't listened to all the tree huggers and Swampies in the 70's we would still have a good number of Nuclear power stations covering most of our power needs today, but hey no...
Swampie is 49. I bet you feel old now. He was however living in a commune in Wales.

if it was my decision, I’d reopen a couple of coal mines and continue to use coal powered power stations for a limited period and I’d also open gas and oil fields to ensure the UK has power security.

profits and taxes from these would all be channelled into renewables ASAP

Some very valid points on both sides of the fracking argument. Personally I don't believe that there is any reliable, predictable large scale energy source that doesn't carry environmental risks. (Exon Valdez, Chernobyl, etc.)
Fracking has risks, undoubtedly, but we are probably one of the most capable countries in terms of minimising risks.
I'm sure a few days sitting in the dark and cold with no internet will focus many people's minds in winter.

Some very valid points on both sides of the fracking argument. Personally I don't believe that there is any reliable, predictable large scale energy source that doesn't carry environmental risks. (Exon Valdez, Chernobyl, etc.)
Fracking has risks, undoubtedly, but we are probably one of the most capable countries in terms of minimising risks.
I'm sure a few days sitting in the dark and cold with no internet will focus many people's minds in winter.
Bring back the ration books!

...we are probably one of the most capable countries in terms of minimising risks.
Unfortunately that's not an opinion that some want to hear. Since we left the EU, we're sh*t at everything... apparently. :rolleyes:

Currently in Slovenia and i paid €1.679 which converts to £1.42 per litre.
@Alied. We will be in Slovenia early next month (en route to Istria). Any hints and tips (apart from the cheap fuel!) would be much appreciated. TIA.

@Alied. We will be in Slovenia early next month (en route to Istria). Any hints and tips (apart from the cheap fuel!) would be much appreciated. TIA.
I take it that you are travelling through Austria to Slovenia. Both countries require you to purchase vignettes and also parts of Austria has tolls roads. I bought my vignettes online from the official websites.For Austria if you buy your vignette online you must do this at least 18 days from when you want it to start from but you can also buy a sticker vignette from the service stations on the motorway. The official website for the Austrian vignettes is Toll Shop ASFINAG for digital vignette and digital section toll Also on this site you can also register your vehicle registration for the toll payment but make sure you use a fee free card. For the Slovenian vignette the official site is https://evinjeta.dars.si/en You can buy the Slovenian vignette straight away for the day that you need it.

Just looking for a little balance in your narrative tbh.

Considering the past 10 years, since its peak in July 2014, GBP has lost 29% of its value against USD (the trading currency for oil). In the same period, the euro has lost over 23%, the Canadian dollar 24% and the yen 42%. So, I would say that there are stronger forces at work here than Brexit, would you not agree? (Note: no dogmatic denial on my part that Brexit is a contributory factor).

As for 'net zero', it is exactly the pursuit of this aim that has seen the UK shutdown it's coal industry, restrict North Sea oil exploration and point-blank refuse to frack, thus resulting in an exaggerated reliance on fuel and energy imports. Then there's the 'green levy' - whilst not directly applied to pump prices, this is a heavy price that all UK consumers are burdened with (knowingly or otherwise) and one which makes all but the most fortunate less financially resilient.

hey @Bav (sorry been away, not ignoring your points...)
yeah, fair point, absolutely agree that it's not only Brexit to blame. but it's definitely not helping so partially to blame.
- i've yet to see/experience any benefits?

as for 'net zero' maybe it is the reason the fossil fuel industry in the UK is non existent BUT that not the reason we're so reliant on imports - there's plenty of green options that could have been implemented since the 70's (the start of the end for the UK coal industry) but successive governments have chosen not to invest.
re. the 'green levy' - that's just another excuse to pass on costs that the energy/fuel company's should be shouldering to the end consumer (i'm sure one of the cabinet recently said that the reason they weren't imposing a Windfall Tax was so that the fuel companies invested in renewables??!)

hey @Bav (sorry been away, not ignoring your points...)
yeah, fair point, absolutely agree that it's not only Brexit to blame. but it's definitely not helping so partially to blame.
- i've yet to see/experience any benefits?

as for 'net zero' maybe it is the reason the fossil fuel industry in the UK is non existent BUT that not the reason we're so reliant on imports - there's plenty of green options that could have been implemented since the 70's (the start of the end for the UK coal industry) but successive governments have chosen not to invest.
re. the 'green levy' - that's just another excuse to pass on costs that the energy/fuel company's should be shouldering to the end consumer (i'm sure one of the cabinet recently said that the reason they weren't imposing a Windfall Tax was so that the fuel companies invested in renewables??!)
Yay @Trouts! We agree on something. ;)

Let's just say that Brexit is an opportunity yet to be taken. Can't say I'm too happy with the progress made so far, but expecting success overnight was never realistic (though that won't prevent it being used as a false metric :whistle:).

As a direct consequence of pressure form the green lobby, we sacrificed our existing fuel industry and we signed-up to 'net zero' before we had alternatives in place, thus increasing our reliance of imported energy - that's my take.

Regardless of the above, I'm not looking to fall out with you (or anyone else) - just looking for reasoned debate with those who hold dissimilar views. :thumbsup:

From today's Telegraph;

"Craig Mackinlay, Conservative MP and chair of the Fair Fuel all-party parliamentary group, said: “We should be seeing reductions of at least 25p per litre across all pump fuels – the public have reached their own conclusions that excessive profiteering is at play somewhere or at multiple points in the supply chain.”

Back