Plylining Or Use Existing Panels? Which Is Best?

Ply or original hardboard

• Ply

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Hardboard

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

NicePlums

I’m looking to get my T6 edition soundproofed insulates and carpeted, after a bit of advice please.

Is this a diy job or one best left to the pros?

what’s the best soundproofing? Is the silent coat extra thick worth going for?

Is it worth ply lining replacing existing panels using the original fixings? I’ll probably fit speakers in the back too.

what about the roof? Again is ply better?

Sorry lots of questions...

basically i want to get it as comfortable and quiet as a rolls if I can...

sorry lots of questions!

Cheers

If you get the OEM hardboard wet it will swell up and be about as strong as hot chocolate.
That’s why I am making plywood panels. The ply is also more impact resistant.
Quite a lot of professional converters just carpet the OEM hardboard as it looks just the same to a new customer and costs a lot less in time and effort.
One of the best things about DIY is to get it how you want it and if it’s FUBAR you have only yourself to blame:)

I used the OEM hardboard ones and was happy with the finish. When its covered in carpet you wouldn't really know if it was ply or not so i thought id use what i've already got.

Any recommendations for good ply supplier ?

seen a few on eBay but they look rough as around the edges.

think I’d like too and bottom separate rather than a whole side as one also.

thanks

s

I always make new panels using 3mm ply ,use the original panel as a template and using plastic inserts like these
eBay item number:

I also use B&Q silver insulation on the back of it ,this gives it a sound deadening and thermal quality .
ThermAll Bubble insulation roll, (L)7.5m (W)0.6m (T)4mm

I have used this in my T5.1 camper and 2 T6 vans now and works great,the new panels have stretch carpet on the front and the silver insulation stuck to the back of the panel using the trim spray glue.

IMG_0582.jpg

I always make new panels using 3mm ply ,use the original panel as a template and using plastic inserts like these
eBay item number:

I also use B&Q silver insulation on the back of it ,this gives it a sound deadening and thermal quality .
ThermAll Bubble insulation roll, (L)7.5m (W)0.6m (T)4mm

I have used this in my T5.1 camper and 2 T6 vans now and works great,the new panels have stretch carpet on the front and the silver insulation stuck to the back of the panel using the trim spray glue.

View attachment 57599

Looks good, but I prefer the hidden fixings.

Out of interest how did you attache the fixings circled? There is nothing in my van to attach those to.

Screenshot 2020-01-05 at 15.51.33.png

Out of interest how did you attache the fixings circled? There is nothing in my van to attach those to.

View attachment 57601

There are small brackets pop riveted to the window frame. They really are just bent metal with a hole for the trim clip.
I drilled mine off as I am getting windows fitted in the back.

Any recommendations for good ply supplier ?

seen a few on eBay but they look rough as around the edges.

think I’d like too and bottom separate rather than a whole side as one also.

thanks

s

Also recommend making your own panels if you can. 4mm ply is easily available from timber merchants and is waterproof and much stronger than the hardboard.
If you know someone with a router you can use a flush cutter with a bearing to cut the panel and it’s easier to get holes done like the rear lock switch.
You can also do a good job with a cheap jigsaw and the right blade. A good tip is to lightly cut round the template with a very sharp knife like a Stanley knife this will stop the ply sheet splintering when it’s cut with the jigsaw.

Just a little word of warning, if your going to use hidden clips you will need new ply panels as the OEM panel holes are too big.

I've used CustomShop Designs off ebay for my side panels and the cut and fit was spot on. I'm going to use them again when I get round to ordering my roof panels.

If your unsure give them a ring as their very helpful

Just a little word of warning, if your going to use hidden clips you will need new ply panels as the OEM panel holes are too big.

I've used CustomShop Designs off ebay for my side panels and the cut and fit was spot on. I'm going to use them again when I get round to ordering my roof panels.

If your unsure give them a ring as their very helpful

If you get the hidden clips from Harrison’s Trim Supplies then you need holes the OEM size.
Custom Shop Designs ask about the clips you will use before cutting the holes.
For what it’s worth I had to take my panels back because some of the holes were in the wrong places and didn’t line up. Then I had to take the ply roof back as it delaminated a few days after fitting. Luckily I’d test fitted it without any carpet etc. There is a thread somewhere on the forum.

My hidden clips were from Megavanmats and worked OK in OEM and slightly smaller.
If your going to make your own panels buy clips first and test a few out.
They don’t like being put in and out a lot either so buy some spares.

My hidden clips were from Megavanmats and worked OK in OEM and slightly smaller.
If your going to make your own panels buy clips first and test a few out.
They don’t like being put in and out a lot either so buy some spares.
Custom shop designers cut smaller holes for MVM hidden clips.

View attachment 57601

these are the original holes as per kombi panels ,the kombi has extra brackets fitted to the metal work to secure the larger (full height) panel.

Yes I know the hidden fixings are better looking but if you need to remove the panel it is much easier with the screws and cup washers.

I like the plastic fixings as you do not drill the metal work,stopping rust etc.

I also had issues with Custom Design Shop as the holes were not in the correct place. I asked them to send me another set without any holes that I drilled myself using the OEM panels as a template. Yes it somewhat defeats the point of ordering custom panels and had I know about fit issues I would have made my own to start with.

I spoke to a local converter and he said he uses 6mm MDF instead of ply, any opinions on this?

Back