PFJones Towbar fit

So same as mine only difference was the 2 foam pieces that go on top of the towbar.20200110_115622.jpg

I know others have cut up the original bar and used the ends and refitted them

Did you put the plastic rail on (with the 8 fittings) before you put the metal towbar bracket on ?

(update - can see from the photo that you have (I think))

Pete

Last edited:
I'll see if I can dig out photos but with some careful cutting with the grinder the standard impact bar can be refitted over the towbar, it offers the bumper far more support than the foam and much better impact protection.

Sorry already fitted. It is about 10mm thick. Price from vw was under £30

Did you put the plastic rail on (with the 8 fittings) before you put the metal towbar bracket on ?

(update - can see from the photo that you have (I think))

Pete
Yes, thanks Pete. Those little clips were difficult to line up and are not coming off in intact!

Fitted the same to mine late last year - pretty easy to follow the instructions provided.

Agree that the vw foam inserts could just be fabricated from something else to save a few quid. When picking up the support bar from VW they said I didn't need them (found out I did). Mine is a 65 plate eu5 and I think that confuses the parts dept!

Like Sparkzer I think you could save some time/effort with the wiring - its worth reading the instructions before routing the cables to work out where you need to go (wish I did); Under the passenger seat I put the cable up through and it seemed pointless to introduce a cable through the grommet to just join the cables together (would make sense if your setup is different however). I also have the red spare power cables under that seat and read since that I could have used them for power rather than going in up to the battery.

I did manage to find the grommet back through the firewall on the drivers side - its just under the master cylinder and had to bend the heatshield back/pull insulation back a bit.

Fitted the same to mine late last year - pretty easy to follow the instructions provided.
I did manage to find the grommet back through the firewall on the drivers side - its just under the master cylinder and had to bend the heatshield back/pull insulation back a bit.

i have a 67 EU6 ...i must admit, i didn't look too hard and certainly didn't look behind heat shields etc as by then i'd already pretty much decided i was going to go off piste and freestyle the installation a bit :)

Agree that the vw foam inserts could just be fabricated from something else to save a few quid. When picking up the support bar from VW they said I didn't need them (found out I did). Mine is a 65 plate eu5 and I think that confuses the parts dept!

Like Sparkzer I think you could save some time/effort with the wiring - its worth reading the instructions before routing the cables to work out where you need to go (wish I did); Under the passenger seat I put the cable up through and it seemed pointless to introduce a cable through the grommet to just join the cables together (would make sense if your setup is different however). I also have the red spare power cables under that seat and read since that I could have used them for power rather than going in up to the battery.

Thanks James, this is really useful information! I didn't bother bringing the cables into the passenger seat either. I've just got to route the cables through into the drivers area and connect up.
I thought the socket holder was on a pivot to drop down when required and then popped up out of the way when not in use, (as per the video on the PFJones website). A little disappointed that's not the case and the bumpers not back on yet as I've been busy on other things like my day job:confused:

I dont suppose you could be so kind to share a photo of said grommet to drivers side could you @DieselJames?

Can I use the towbar without having it programmed by VW? (I just want to test it before booking it in).

Back