PFJ or Dealer to fit Towbar?

shaiboyuk

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi,

So the Transporter is coming the next day or so, and need to get a towbar for going away.

I've priced up VW one and Westfalia (PFJones), detachable, 13 pin electrics, extension lead (non TP) and Towbar plastic rail and fixings.
VW one comes in at £592.
Westfalia (PFJones) one comes in at £400.

Is it worth paying the extra for VW one, need to go to VW for plastic rail and fixing anyway.
Or will the VW one be Westfalia anyway? I believe the wiring from PFJones will be there own and not Westfalia loom.
Think I would prefer genuine VW wiring as doing it myself and can get VW one by weekend, but other would be next week.

Thanks for any advise.
Paul aka Shaiboyuk

PF Jones wiring kit is a much easier install.

I have the Westfalia wiring 2 part wiring kit and needed the extra fuse box kit (3rd kit) as my van doesnt have one under the passenger seat.

there is the main wiring kit, the auxiliary power kit for pin 13 (trailer fridge / power) which is ignition switched via a relay and for me the fuse box kit. Two power cables to get to the battery and a couple of wires to get into the BCM.

I think the PFJ wiring kit just has one cable to get to the battery.

Ian

I ordered our T6 with a factory fitted detachable tow hitch.
it’s fantastic towed a trailer with a car on it. Everything worked correctly, even when reverse was selected it came up on the screen so the reverse sensors didn’t go mental.
extra bonus there’s a dedicated storage compartment for the detachable tow hitch by the jack in the rear.

so the next question is - did you spec the tow hitch preparation?

However, there will be other members on here who will be able to advise on wiring and integration into the T6 electrical system.

so you know I would go VW, I’m sure it will need to be programmed too.

cheers

Thanks for replies.

The Transporter I have bought, does not have " tow hitch preparation", so I have to buy the extra wiring to extend it.
Does that mean I won't have fuse box under seat too? Was wanting to connect up power for back seats etc

I will ask the dealer if the towbar supplied would be Westfalia, if so might just get the towbar from PFJ and get electrics and rest from VW? will probably save £100.

Thanks
Paul

I’ve just fitted the detachable westfalia tow bar from PF Jones. Very impressed with the quality and functionality of the tow bar. Really nice.

I found the PF Jones wiring (vehicle specific) to be a tad awkward. It barely reached my rear bumper even when routed right down the middle of the van.

I have the three sets of instructions for the westfalia (also VW) kits if you want pictures.

have a look under your passenger seat - there may or may not be a fuse panel.

I have the three sets of instructions for the westfalia (also VW) kits if you want pictures.

That would be great if you could :)

Don't have van yet :( Just want to get towbar ordered ready for fitting :)

Thanks
Paul

Hi Paynewright . I'm thinking of fitting a Westfalia (or similar). My van did not have a fuse panel under the passenger seat. At least I don't think so. There were some black connectors with wiring would there be fuses in these. I have now buried these under the carpet as part of fitting a swivel captains chair. If I am lacking a fuse panel will this cause issues with fitting a Towbar?

Hi Paynewright . I'm thinking of fitting a Westfalia (or similar). My van did not have a fuse panel under the passenger seat. At least I don't think so. There were some black connectors with wiring would there be fuses in these. I have now buried these under the carpet as part of fitting a swivel captains chair. If I am lacking a fuse panel will this cause issues with fitting a Towbar?
The westfalia main wiring kit has 3 connectors that need plugging into the fuse panel under the passenger seat. I know other people that have added electrics under the seat (battery, charger etc) that have just wired into their own fuse box.

The kit wasnt very expensive from VW and will need a thick wire taking to the battery from under the passenger seat. Wire is pre fitted and part of the kit.

Ian

Last edited:
Had a call from vw dealer they want £835 for a westfielia detached towbar,
Or would you go PF Jones £620
Am I getting anything from the dealership that PFJ can’t offer?
Cheers firthy

Jones is the route I went and they shipped a Westfalia out for their fitter to fit!

Would the dealer be doing it themselves? I ask as I think a lot of them sub-contract the job if it’s a retrofit. My Westfalia Detachable was done by a guy from Stafford with PFJ kit and it works perfectly.

Reactions: JOG
i am having mine fitted by Breeze's VW in Portsmouth, parts are £660 and fitting is another £600 totalling £1300, but as my van is still under warranty this is the best way for me to do it and remain compliant with VW warranty. :(

@grumpidad. I admire your loyalty to VW and respect your wish to do the right thing for the sake of the warranty but, even by VW standards, £1300 is taking the pi55.

My local dealer quoted me over a grand, i asked around and found out they outsource it anyway to a local towbar firm so i went direct to them and got it done for around £475 !!

Reactions: DXX
i am having mine fitted by Breeze's VW in Portsmouth, parts are £660 and fitting is another £600 totalling £1300, but as my van is still under warranty this is the best way for me to do it and remain compliant with VW warranty. :(
Erm….did they say specifically that having the towbar fitted independently could impair your warranty?

Not them but Autohaus did when I asked about other work being done as well, all work to be done by Autohaus or approved dealers unfortunately. Autohaus unfortunately are too far away for a drop off and cycle home.

Back