Operation B14 has commenced

Using HK Hock alloys , splitter and alloys from Custom Vanz Chippenham . Don't know why your worried about wheels rubbing as mine DONT rub on full lock with 275/35/20 , you can check my inner wheel linings honestly.

I suspect you are running ET40 wheels, if you have no rub. What springs are you running?

On our bamboo green van we have the bilsteins wound fully down, bar 10mm, with zero rub on 275/35/20, on a 8.5 x 20 with an ET40 offset.

Im out of the office today, but they are working on the new candy Kombi T32 on 265/40's so I hop to reveal all later.

I believe the issue here is that you can't view the damper and spring as separate - the best performance will come from a spring and damper that are matched to each other. Chopping and changing one or other element will not produce the best solution.

Well, yes and no. Matched is not necessarily the same as buying together.

I did a bit more research and according to bilstien and TransportersRUs the B12 kit (not B14) is a combination of the B8 damper with 30mm Eibach springs.
Other sites state that they will sit okay with 30-40mm drop and both chillijamvans and uberbus suggest these would be okay with decent 50mm springs.

Well, yes and no. Matched is not necessarily the same as buying together.

I did a bit more research and according to bilstien and TransportersRUs the B12 kit (not B14) is a combination of the B8 damper with 30mm Eibach springs.
Other sites state that they will sit okay with 30-40mm drop and both chillijamvans and uberbus suggest these would be okay with decent 50mm springs.

Is there a reason you don't just fit B14's
that was designed to be used together
I was told B8 are a lot firmer ride ?

See my earlier post:
I've got 50mm Eibach springs on standard shocks at the moment.
Would I see much change to the ride by replacing the shocks with something like B8's?

See my earlier post:
I've got 50mm Eibach springs on standard shocks at the moment.
Would I see much change to the ride by replacing the shocks with something like B8's?

Don't quote me but from what I've researched the b8 is 10mm shorter and dampers are stiffer with less travel, have a look on custom vanz his set ups are 50 mm eibach with b8 dampers
He won't fit B14 to much time setting them up ?

Well I've taken the plunge, booked in with Transporter HQ Thursday for operation B14 and now just considering what to get set at with 19s, currently have h and r 40's but ride feels as bottoming out and wollows, bring on the B14's

Well I've taken the plunge, booked in with Transporter HQ Thursday for operation B14 and now just considering what to get set at with 19s, currently have h and r 40's but ride feels as bottoming out and wollows, bring on the B14's

You'll love it. Best upgrade available for a Transporter

Hello

Yes all fitted today, and no rubbing at all :) We haven't done any inner or outer arch modifications

Kombi suspension specification and modifications;

2017 T32 204PS 4 Motion Manual
Bilstein B14's - 10mm left on the front and 5 mm at the back
H&R ARB's
Team Dynamic 9 x 20 ET40
Nankang AS1 265/40 20 104

So with this combination, on a T32, it works better than the 275 tyre.

See pics below - Visually i don't think it looks as nice at the 275/35, but it certainly seems to have lost some of the oversize looks of the 275/40. Ill put some miles on and report back, but all seems very good so far

file-15_zpsgty4bcak.jpe

file-18_zpsoewn1eb0.jpe

file-19_zpssvll4zu5.jpe

Nice one @BognorMotors thanks for the information! Looks like 265 might be the way to go! Van looks awesome, but not quite as good as a 35 profile as you said. Good to hear the feedback after some miles are on it! Thanks again

Sits wellI and no balloons!!
I don't plan to go as low just need to decide on 19" or 20" I think 19" fill the arch that little nicer
Verdict is still out
Can I ask what front splitter that is ?
Thanks Bognor Motors

@BognorMotors Thanks for keeping us all updated. Those wheels look pretty cool!

I also have 20" alloys, but they are both 9.5 wheels front and rear, with 275/40 20" tyres and the fronts are rubbing pretty bad.

The et is 42, so do you think the 265/40 20" tyres might fit these wheels and stop the rubbing issues?

The wheel details can be found here.....Alloy Wheel Range Overview - Wolfrace Wheels

The other thing I was thinking of trying was 5mm spacers?

Sorry to trouble you with the question, but it is driving me mad???!!!

Hello

Yes all fitted today, and no rubbing at all :) We haven't done any inner or outer arch modifications

Kombi suspension specification and modifications;

2017 T32 204PS 4 Motion Manual
Bilstein B14's - 10mm left on the front and 5 mm at the back
H&R ARB's
Team Dynamic 9 x 20 ET40
Nankang AS1 265/40 20 104

So with this combination, on a T32, it works better than the 275 tyre.

See pics below - Visually i don't think it looks as nice at the 275/35, but it certainly seems to have lost some of the oversize looks of the 275/40. Ill put some miles on and report back, but all seems very good so far

View attachment 10306

View attachment 10307

View attachment 10308

I also have 20" alloys, but they are both 9.5 wheels front and rear, with 275/40 20" tyres and the fronts are rubbing pretty bad.

The et is 42, so do you think the 265/40 20" tyres might fit these wheels and stop the rubbing issues?

The wheel details can be found here.....Alloy Wheel Range Overview - Wolfrace Wheels

That was a wheel I looked at but was told the offset was to high or low and didn't push it out far enough for tyre clearance
I was told best was 35-38 with a 8.5 or 9x19 or
9 x20" on fronts not only that but it sits out and fits the arches better
wheels to fit the VW is a nightmare
I guess H&R spacers is one option now along with 265 tyre

Hello - Where is it rubbing? On full lock?

Hello - Where is it rubbing? On full lock?

Thanks again for your replies.

It's rubbing of full lock and when I go over big bumps in the road. There are actually some wear marks on the plastic arch liners. The biggest are from turning to full lock, but theres also some from driving in a straight line and hitting bumps, so I may push the liner out with the use of a heat gun.

The rears seems fine.

It's actually so much of a ball ache that I may just get some 18" sportlines and be done with it.

OK, So I suspect you will need to heat up and mould the inner arch where it rubs with a heat gun. On a 275/40/20 with Et45 9" wide we have to play with the chassis slightly - Im not sure you will need to do this, without seeing it. Is this the only place its touching? You may have to modify the outer arch by the lip as well, if this is where its hitting when driving in a straight line. Obviously a 265/40 20 will help as the tyre is narrower, with a smaller sidewall - Its not much but it will help. There is loads of room at the back arch. I've never seen a 9.5 on the front, so I can't comment more accurately than that Im afraid, we've only gone as wide at 9 at the front.

Are you local to us to pop in and let us take a look?

I am running 9.5 rims 175/40/19 et35 fronts. Don't get any rubbing on steering locks but as the are so wide with a big offset, the front edge will nip the arch over a pot hole. If I get the heat on the arch I can sort that but it's not really a problem as it's very rare it touches. I am 10mm off fully down on B14s all round.

I am running 9.5 rims 175/40/19 et35 fronts. Don't get any rubbing on steering locks but as the are so wide with a big offset, the front edge will nip the arch over a pot hole. If I get the heat on the arch I can sort that but it's not really a problem as it's very rare it touches. I am 10mm off fully down on B14s all round.

I hope you get it sorted

So I think I'm going 9x19 et 35 front et 42 rear 9.5x19
With 255/45/19 103 or 265/40/19 102
B14's but only lowered 50mm and H&R arb
I hope To see lots of T6's at Camper Jam this weekend and give me more ideas of other bits to get done.

IMG_4143.JPG

Finally have the wheels on, long tale of being supplied with wrong bolts, no spigot rings etc etc but now sorted. Since having the suspension originally fitted It have raised the back once and the front 3 times and I now think we have the perfect compromise of looks and comfort. Need to stop spending money on it now....oh hang on the stereo is pretty crap, maybe throw a few £ at that now.

Back