Operation B14 has commenced

IM Just about to do another kombi van at work, for hire. Its a T32, so we are going B14's, ARB's and 18's wheels.

If your local come and have a go in our demo and you'll see what all the fuss is about. We've fitted two sets today

@BognorMotors after a lot of reading I think that's the set up I'll be opting for. My t32 will be a 4motion (when it arrives !!). I will take you up on your offer and pop over to see you when I'm over your way.

Obviously 18's will be more confutable, but don't look as good ;-)

We run the correct tyres so speedo reads correctly

Are they t32 ? 275/255 40 or 35 profile
Mine is caravelle t32 so I think I need 275 40 profile unless I go to a 255/40 but wheel I'm looking at BBS 20" 9j not sure they will give enough wheel protection?

On a T28/t30 we run 275/35/20
Previously we have run 275/40/20 on T32, which is approx 4% oversize, but we are now trying a 265/40, which is a 2.5% oversize.

@BognorMotors after a lot of reading I think that's the set up I'll be opting for. My t32 will be a 4motion (when it arrives !!). I will take you up on your offer and pop over to see you when I'm over your way.

Anytime, and the kombi we mentioned above is going to be the one trailing the 265/40/20, not 18's now - All will be revealed on Thursday - Its in the workshop now, starting the fit out!

Anytime, and the kombi we mentioned above is going to be the one trailing the 265/40/20, not 18's now - All will be revealed on Thursday - Its in the workshop now, starting the fit out!

I see they make a 265/40/20 104 P Zero that could work
4.8% instead of 6.8% with 275/40

@DaveyB, I've been checking out some different systems through Bilstein. Gotta say, I'm confused (not hard)

Anyway,

Why B14? Is it the best for transporters? I've been reading up on the B16 system and it gets a great write up. Also I like the fact you can change modes through a push of a button.
Hi @Jonny, sorry for the delay in responding, absolutely flat out with work and not being keeping abreast of the Forum - I know I need to get my priorities straight.
Anyway, I think most others have actually answered for me. I have B14's as that was what was available, not aware that there are B16's for the transporter. Sounds as though from what you describe they are 'top adjustable' so there is an adjuster somewhere on the shock that you can soften/ harden the rebound, preload, compression settings but then you are getting race car territory. I wasn't after that for the van, I just wanted a ride that was as close as I could get a van to being the A6avant black edition that I sold to get the van, without spending crazy money. Yes £1100 is a lot, but I honestly think it was worth every penny.
Good luck in whatever decision you make, and so long as you have researched it, and it is right for you then whether or not you go for the B14's or something else, it's about setting your van for what you want.

Hi @Jonny, sorry for the delay in responding, absolutely flat out with work and not being keeping abreast of the Forum - I know I need to get my priorities straight.
Anyway, I think most others have actually answered for me. I have B14's as that was what was available, not aware that there are B16's for the transporter. Sounds as though from what you describe they are 'top adjustable' so there is an adjuster somewhere on the shock that you can soften/ harden the rebound, preload, compression settings but then you are getting race car territory. I wasn't after that for the van, I just wanted a ride that was as close as I could get a van to being the A6avant black edition that I sold to get the van, without spending crazy money. Yes £1100 is a lot, but I honestly think it was worth every penny.
Good luck in whatever decision you make, and so long as you have researched it, and it is right for you then whether or not you go for the B14's or something else, it's about setting your van for what you want.

I totally agree I don't want too many different settings I just want a good alround set up that's not to harsh but stiffens her up a little to drive more like a heavy can Range Rover Q7 etc not to drive like a Mini
You can keep going round and round with this I just need to jump in the fire and if its to hot jump back out and brush down with a small loss and put the originals back on

@YESBOY , just got B14s fitted today at Transporter HQ. Really pleased with them because they ride a lot better than the 50mm Eibach that I previously had fitted . Loads smoother ride and not as harsh and clunky as the Eibachs.
More stable in corners and when pushed there was a lot less understeer than before . Got them set at 20mm front and rears from the minimum setting with no rubbing on arches . Using 20" 275-35 tyres.
Totally recommend Andy at Transporter HQ , great job and he even supplied me with a courtesy car for the afternoon.
He threw in a front window lower dash trim seel free of charge , very nice guys and would recommend to any of you guys on the forum who wants B14s .

@YESBOY , just got B14s fitted today at Transporter HQ. Really pleased with them because they ride a lot better than the 50mm Eibach that I previously had fitted . Loads smoother ride and not as harsh and clunky as the Eibachs.
More stable in corners and when pushed there was a lot less understeer than before . Got them set at 20mm front and rears from the minimum setting with no rubbing on arches . Using 20" 275-35 tyres.
Totally recommend Andy at Transporter HQ , great job and he even supplied me with a courtesy car for the afternoon.
He threw in a front window lower dash trim seel free of charge , very nice guys and would recommend to any of you guys on the forum who wants B14s .

Good to ear. Can you post some pics

I'll post pics this weekend

I emailed Bilstein in Germany few days ago asking about the B16's for transporter and they have replied saying that they will Not be making them to fit my VW Transporter and the only available kit is the B14's
So that clears that up !!!

B14's with HnR arb it is then
Just need to decide wheel size now 19" with 245/255/45/19 or 20" with 265/40/20 offset between 35-40 depending on the wheel I finally go for
Rubbing is the issue as we use full lock at least twice a day and every one I've seen parked up with 20" I look under the arch and see a big rub mark on the inner lining !!!!!!
It's driving me mad just want it finished so I can enjoy driving her

I emailed Bilstein in Germany few days ago asking about the B16's for transporter and they have replied saying that they will Not be making them to fit my VW Transporter and the only available kit is the B14's
So that clears that up !!!

B14's with HnR arb it is then

Nice one

Not a question about B14, but related....
I've got 50mm Eibach springs on standard shocks at the moment.
Would I see much change to the ride by replacing the shocks with something like B8's?
From a naming perspective, does the B8 + lower springs = B12?

Chris what wheels are you running ?
And what front splitter ?
Cheers
Using HK Hock alloys , splitter and alloys from Custom Vanz Chippenham . Don't know why your worried about wheels rubbing as mine DONT rub on full lock with 275/35/20 , you can check my inner wheel linings honestly.

Not a question about B14, but related....
I've got 50mm Eibach springs on standard shocks at the moment.
Would I see much change to the ride by replacing the shocks with something like B8's?
From a naming perspective, does the B8 + lower springs = B12?
Not sure but there is a lot of differance when I replaced my 50mm eibachs with B14 . Much more of a refined ride.

I believe the issue here is that you can't view the damper and spring as separate - the best performance will come from a spring and damper that are matched to each other. Chopping and changing one or other element will not produce the best solution.

Using HK Hock alloys , splitter and alloys from Custom Vanz Chippenham . Don't know why your worried about wheels rubbing as mine DONT rub on full lock with 275/35/20 , you can check my inner wheel linings honestly.

Chris I have got to use a 275/40/20 which are like balloons as mine is a T32 that's where the rubbing issue comes in !!!
Zaff did say it would probably would rub as most do with that tyre size
But a 265/40/20 might do the trick

Back