Oil Temp Gauge V Mfd

Hinsley

T6 Pro
Having not had the van long, when I was out on it’s first decent long run I noticed the temp gauge sits at 90 but when flicking through the mfd it was saying 105.

This has become a habit now checking the differences.

When starting cold the gauge is at 50 (zero) and gradually warms up to sit at 90, never more. However the mfd rises gradually and sits around 90 but after a while or under stress rises up to 107 (highest I’ve seen). It does fluctuate between 90 -105 but the gauge never moves above 90.

I’ve search here and there are discussions about temps around 105 being normal but not seen anything discussing the differences?

It’s normal, @mmi has posted about this in the past
Apparently the gauge is designed to sit around the middle when it’s within acceptable temp range, I think it’s designed as a comforter for the driver more than an actual gauge

Last edited:
Isn't the gauge coolant temperature and the MFD oil? I would expect them to be a bit different.

It’s normal, @mmi has posted about this in the past
Apparently the gauge is designed to sit around the middle when it’s within acceptable temp range, I think it’s designed as a comforter for the driver more than an actual gauge
The referred to post ---> Coolant Temperature Readout

As above the MFD is oil temp.

Last edited:
what they said.....

the gauge will sit at 90-degC to make normal people happy.

VW call it the dampened effect, but you can use a scan tool to get the actual readout - without a scan tool the MFD will give you a more accurate readout.

Isn't the gauge coolant temperature and the MFD oil? I would expect them to be a bit different.

Bit of a schoolboy mistake by me there, didn’t even think about coolant and oil. That makes a lot of sense as does the other replies regarding the dumbing down of readings as not to alarm people. Like me.

One less thing to think about.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Back