OEM Headunit Problems [Merge]

I too atempted this repair with a screen purchased from ebay for £13.39 (TDO WVGA0633F00039 TDO WVGA0633F00045).

I followed the advice on this thread and a couple of youtube videos and it all went straightforward. I have fixed iphone screens in the past and would say this was far easier. There was an amount of tear down to get to the screen but all went okay and fully working again.

Remember to lay the replacement screen directly over the failed one. Do not try to remove the failed screen.

I would say to have a go yourself and save the couple of hundred quid it costs to have this done by 3rd party companies that advertise on here.
Can you point me in the direction of what youtube videos you used please?.

It seems totally fine, no noticeable difference to the original apart from it works! :D

I am doing this replacement for a neighbours van with the same issue and he has purchased the same one as I linked above.

It seems totally fine, no noticeable difference to the original apart from it works! :D

I am doing this replacement for a neighbours van with the same issue and he has purchased the same one as I linked above.
Is it as bright as the original even in direct sunlight?. I've heard some can look a bit milky when the sun shines on it?.

Followed this thread - definitely have same problem of failing touch screen on mine but the thought of taking dash trim off/removing head unit/fiddling about with clips and tiny screws looks beyond me and I don’t have the right tools…just wondering if anyone based near me (Oxford) would be willing/available to help me OR can anyone recommend a local(ish) place I could take it to get it done?

All id say is make sure you buy a decent screen. Some of them arent the best and make it look like its got a screen protector on it,making it look "milky"and will do your head in even more.

Hello, has anybody had problems with the discovery satnav head unit? mines keeps changing station, buttons are frozen and the Bluetooth doesn't connect automatically like it used to. I've got it booked in at the vw garage to get a software update(£96) as they think that wil solve the problem.
Van is a 2016 T32 4motion highline.
Did it sort it out for you?

Thanks to all the contributors. Today I replaced the digitiser on my Discover media unit. All seems to be functioning correctly. Hopefully this will banish the unresponsive screen, especially when using Waze.

Note: You do need very small Torx drive to remove the small screws fixing the display and board. IIRC it is a T5 or T6 :laugh:
I purchased this kit from Screwfix
Where did you get the digitiser please?

Did it sort it out for you?
if you click on a members’ name you can see their posts.. @MalkyDuff subsequently said it didn’t:
Had my van in at VW today for a software update, this hasn't fixed my head unit and have been advised that the screen needs a clean as they think static is the problem.
Looks like I need a new head unit, i'm not paying VW £1600 +vat + fitting for the same head unit, what's my best options for upgrading?

Has anyone got a current link to the correct digitiser on eBay. The ones in the thread have expired. Thanks

Has anyone got a current link to the correct digitiser on eBay. The ones in the thread have expired. Thanks
I just took the part number from the original link and then searched for the part that way. This was my one:

Did this yesterday.

All went well.

The only thing I did wrong at first was not seating one of the SD Card reader correctly, so had to remove. Make sure you hear these click into place.

Got it off Amazon for £40 as was in a rush.

About to order one of these but have a couple of questions.

How easy is it to remove the old digitiser from the display?

I noticed in one of the vids above the guy just left it in place and put the new one on top, other than it being slightly thicker and the box not closing properly would there be any other downsides to that? slightly fuzzier screen maybe?

Thanks!

About to order one of these but have a couple of questions.

How easy is it to remove the old digitiser from the display?

I noticed in one of the vids above the guy just left it in place and put the new one on top, other than it being slightly thicker and the box not closing properly would there be any other downsides to that? slightly fuzzier screen maybe?

Thanks!
No downsides at all laying the new one on top. In fact I didn't even stick mine on with glue or the double sided tape provided and it works fine clamped under the bezel.
In fact from earlier comments in the thread don't even think about trying to remove the old digitiser!!

No downsides at all laying the new one on top. In fact I didn't even stick mine on with glue or the double sided tape provided and it works fine clamped under the bezel.
In fact from earlier comments in the thread don't even think about trying to remove the old digitiser!!

Haha awesome, thanks. That's just made my life a bit easier!!

Managed to pop the new digitiser in, had to do it twice because knobhead here hadn't realised there were two layers of protective film on it :rolleyes:

Was quite dissapointed with the quality of the new screen, too fuzzy (I assumed having lef the old digitiser caused this) and had scratches on already so I moaned on the Ebay feedback and the guy told me there was another layer to peel off doh... sorted it now and it's great :waving:

Back