Night Heater location - internal or external??

I did buy some Hex type Rivnuts to fit into the chassis to mount the cradle to, none existing in my van. The Hex shape stops them turning, and there are already Hex shaped holes in the chassis rails to fit them into.

Thanks very much,
I was thinking you spaced the cradle from the chassis but is the heater from the cradle horizontally if I read your diagram correctly, is the plate an extra bit you got in your kit?

s-l400.jpg
Mounting plate that came with the heater.
The need to space the heater off the cradle was to center the inlet and outlet to line up with the California ducting.
If you use a 5Kw heater you don't neet to space it, the heater box is bigger and lines up OK as it is.

understand now, I was trying to work out how to centralize it. awesome info which will help me with my instalation.
thanks very much.

Good morning, we collect our new t6 conversion next week. The diesel heater is located under the rock & roll bed. Has anyone else had experience of this? We are wondering how to protect the heater from being knocked/moved particularly as this area will be used for storage of items. Has anyone made some type of vented boxing? Thanks in advance
Hi, the company doing our conversion also fit the heater under the r&r bed (drivers side). How is yours doing, are you happy with placement and how noisy is it? I understand that they all make a little noise when first started the quieten right down. We don’t expect it to be running whilst we sleep though, may get too hot!

Definitely underneath and worth having to keep it comfy on Autumnal nights. Noisy on start up but left ticking over all night, very quiet. Intake from front of drivers seat base, down to unit underneath then warm air back up under drivers seat and exiting at back of seat base into saloon (recirculated to minimize heat up). Also, you can warm the van up first thing to clear the frost on these winter mornings while the vehicle is locked and is sat on your drive, no engine running. You can then get in the warm van and have the engine running before setting off (mine is on a remote to start it) :sneaky:

Hi, the company doing our conversion also fit the heater under the r&r bed (drivers side). How is yours doing, are you happy with placement and how noisy is it? I understand that they all make a little noise when first started the quieten right down. We don’t expect it to be running whilst we sleep though, may get too hot!
I would suggest in colder weather you will have it ticking over all night, thats what the thermostat is for. Also I would insist that the conversion company put it underslung. Apart from anything it takes up invaluable space if its inside. Just my 2p.

No need to run a heater overnight - why run it just to keep your nose warm? Bedding is what keeps you warm at night. Below -10 deg. area maybe you would run at lowest heat.

Reactions: CAB
No need to run a heater overnight - why run it just to keep your nose warm? Bedding is what keeps you warm at night. Below -10 deg. area maybe you would run at lowest heat.
Exactly! I’m warm bodied and used to sleeping outside on winter wild camps so even an unheated van will be luxury. Space wise there’s plenty as it’s just the two of us.

I blame it on central heating! A friend of mine was surprised that I have no heating and the windows open all through the year in my bedroom, mind you she is a softy from Canada. :D

I agree that that’s a possibility but if you want to avoid a van full of condensation you need to heat and ventilate. The other issue is your other half stealing all the bedding once it drops below 15 deg C.

Hi all, I am just about to get an eberspatcher night heater and they have given me the option to have it fitted under or in the van. Is it personal preference or is there pros and cons ? Cheers

Under the van is quieter, uses less space in the van and is arguably safer in terms of potential fumes. Cons are that it is prone to damage by water or debris off the road and there'll be a drop in efficiency with ducting running outside in the cold.

You will have both views on this subject, and it will be mostly on preference. I fitted mine underneath, as I thought it would be quieter especially if you use it during the night in the colder Months. Plus it doesn't take up valuable space beneath your seats. Each to their own I suppose...

I fit mine underneath, the existing plastic shields will provide good protection but if you are worried you can always mount it on the OEM brackets and fit the OEM extra shield. You won't like the price of those though!
I don't normally drive in very rough or flooded areas but on the other hand I've never given the heater a second thought in the conditions that I have met and it has always been OK and I've done a couple of hundred thousand miles in various campers with an Eberspacher fitted below the floor.
The heating air pipes can be lagged if you feel it's worthwhile, have with one version that had rather long plumbing but not generally.

The heating air pipes can be lagged if you feel it's worthwhile, have with one version that had rather long plumbing but not generally
Mine's a 2KW heater (Chinese) with hot air ducting running from below the driver's seat, across under the exhaust (heat wrapped) and up under the passenger seat. No concerns yet about heat loss, so I've not insulated the ducting.

Back