Night Heater location - internal or external??

That's very similar to how mine is and pump mounted on drivers side directly below just before is goes through the turret.

my stand pipe is all ready in sender unit, done this while the tank was dropped to remove seat brackets, found out i have an aux heater all ready installed so it was a bit tricky fitting another stand pipe, still cant decide where heater is going lol

about to do this myself and could do a bit of a write up and pics if helps... i am going to fit under my passenger seat as i have the kiravans swivel/safe thing...so perfick to swap the safe rear faceplate for a wooden piece to match my pod/furniture...also ...with a side awning you could swivel the heater fascia around to point it in to the awning area.. under the drivers seat im putting the leisure and smart charger.
ebay for a ting tong heater first...2kw required...everyone seems to say the 5kw is a bit ott and on low settings its not a happy chappy.

I am defo not putting mine outside the van, under the drivers seat I think, was out on Friday night and lots of flooding due to heavy rain made my mind up, i think converters put them outside because its the easy and A quick install.

Even if you put the heater inside the van the fuel pipe and its rubber connectors will be outside so your considerations of perishing of them in the outside atmosphere will not change.

I've always fitted the heaters under the floor just as VW do with the OEM version. if the original plastic shields are kept intact you won't have any problem with the heater. You will have the benefit of more usable space inside (under a front seat?) and reduced noise from the heater. The latter is very important if the heater is to be used over night. They work very well over long periods with a 801 modulator or similar wired with optional the temperature sensor within the van body.

I've been through all sorts of heavy weather and water with mine and never experienced problems, there will be exceptions of course. But if VW are happy to fit both the water heater and the blown air heater under the van I doubt they happen very often in any European driving conditions.

Even if you put the heater inside the van the fuel pipe and its rubber connectors will be outside so your considerations of perishing of them in the outside atmosphere will not change.

I've always fitted the heaters under the floor just as VW do with the OEM version. if the original plastic shields are kept intact you won't have any problem with the heater. You will have the benefit of more usable space inside (under a front seat?) and reduced noise from the heater. The latter is very important if the heater is to be used over night. They work very well over long periods with a 801 modulator or similar wired with optional the temperature sensor within the van body.

I've been through all sorts of heavy weather and water with mine and never experienced problems, there will be exceptions of course. But if VW are happy to fit both the water heater and the blown air heater under the van I doubt they happen very often in any European driving conditions.
thanks for your input, I have had to change all rubber connectors on my t4 in the past that's why i was worried about putting heater under the van, im sure when i did my t4 there was boxes for them for fitting underneath.

hi rod, you got any pics, info on the outer fitment stuff?

If you want to fit in the standard position then there are companies who supply complete kits which include mounting brackets etc...

and

There are lots of other suppliers.

I've managed to fit a D2 Airtronic under the left front seat on pre Euro 6 vehicles, it's bit of a fiddle to fabricate a bracket and not possible when you have an adblue tank but when possible it does allow for the outlet to come out in the base of the left front seat which I find good with furniture down the right side.

For fitment under the right side the exhaust points out towards the centre of the van like VW do it. The combustion air intake is positioned as high as possible above the heater against the floor. The heating air intake is normally fitted in the right front door step and the heated air outlet either in the base of right 'B' post using genuine VW parts (lots on here about fitting like that) or through the floor under the right front seat and out blowing backwards front the seat base.

Search on here, there are lots of threads covering such installations.

bugger....im ad blue on a t6 with this base..https://www.kiravans.co.uk/products/vw-t5-t6-replacement-seat-base-with-safe-and-swivel-all-in-one
wanted to fit nearside as have a pod tight up to rear of drivers seat etc.
i would be interested in your safe seat base if you plan on changing it

You should be able to 'squirt' the hot air out backwards from the inner part of the aperture in the right seat base. I've got a Waeco CRX65 as the front item in the kitchen fitments and if pressed I recon that would work OK.

taking the safe fascia off the base and putting on something nicer to mount the heater vent on etc...i have just put the link on for the kirivans seat base swivel mate.

Back