Night-heater leaking fuel from side connection

limekilnlee

Hi i am looking for some advice i got a Ebersatcher night heater fitted by a local Company in April 22 my van has been in for service at VW today and the fuel tank is leaking as they have drilled a hole in the side of the tank and fuel is leaking from there. VW are saying this should of been fitted from the top of the tank, i rang the company who fitted it they said its how they always fit them that way has any one else had any problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated IMG_8713.png

WTAF? VW are absolutely correct, it looks like the fitter is taking a shortcut to avoid dropping the tank. You don’t want a hole drilled below the waterline, it sounds dangerous to me. They need to replace the tank and install the feed from the top like every other fitter.

Ah sorry man, that just looks like lazy bolox work.... you have to drop the tank and stick it where the oem ones go, into the fule sender unit, there is a small area where the factory fitted pipes sit inside the s/unit also, when you place your pick-up there, that you drilled a hole into the top of the sender unit (NOT the fuel tank..) .... it's not going to leak ..
why... ? because your full fuel tank would not have a fuel level above the fitting, which yours certainly will when full...
and a replacement fuel tank will really be required now ..

All the guides and Installs I've seen show the derv pickup tube fitted from the top.

Infact the OEM install from VW also is from the top.

So we id tend to agree with VW.

@oldiebut goodie may be able to offer some advice?

WTAF? VW are absolutely correct, it looks like the fitter is taking a shortcut to avoid dropping the tank. You don’t want a hole drilled below the waterline, it sounds dangerous to me. They need to replace the tank and install the feed from the top like every other fitter.
certainly dont wanna go swimming with it either eh ..

Oh dear! Lazy ba**ards
There really are some misguided fools out there. Even if you fit a take off directly to the tank it should be on the top. I would bill them for a new tank and get it correctly fitted in the fuel pump body. They will learn after they have paid for the new tank. There are so many "installers" who just cannot think or read instructions. I have never heard of one being fitted like that before.
Name and shame them after you have had the tank replaced.

t6tank.jpg
T

Back