Diesel Water Heater leak

Mark C

I have a diesel heater in my van which we haven’t used for about 4 weeks, turned it on last night and water started leaking from the front of the heater into the van, any ideas?

Got any pics.

Was it water or diesel?

Where's it mounted.?

Where are in the inlets and outlets?

I have a diesel heater in my van which we haven’t used for about 4 weeks, turned it on last night and water started leaking from the front of the heater into the van, any ideas?
Is your van equipped with hot water system which is heated by your diesel heater?

Sorry, yes the van does have a hot water system powered by the diesel heater, the heater is located under the passenger seat, I’m not sure where the inlet or outlet pipes are if I’m honest, the photo shows water coming out of the front of the heater that faces into the van

786B38E9-FAF9-48D9-B701-CC71F0FB29E7.png

I don't know for sure, but to me it looks possible that the heat exchanger has cracked in the recent freezing weather and split causing water ingress or the hot air system.
Was the van's water system drained down?
It would be interesting to see if @oldiebut goodie has any views on this, as I don't know much about heaters but he seems the forum guru on heater matters.

I do have a hot water system heated by the diesel heater so I think I the comments above are correct, I didn’t drain the system down before the cold weather unfortunately, so it looks like a new diesel heater, will contact the guy who installed the heater and see what he can do, thanks for your help

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
I do have a hot water system heated by the diesel heater so I think I the comments above are correct, I didn’t drain the system down before the cold weather unfortunately, so it looks like a new diesel heater, will contact the guy who installed the heater and see what he can do, thanks for your help
It probably won't be a whole new heater.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you that you can find a cost efficient fix.

Back