T6.1 diesel heater install

Cooper

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Well 8pm on a Thursday is as good a time as any to start installing a night heater!

Can anyone tell me where I need to drill the hole in this fuel sender for the stand pipe for the heater? It looks different to the one in my T6 which had a nice square to aim for.

9DA4238B-666A-4A75-8B2A-3415375E047A.jpeg

8695BE7E-04A0-4759-9535-FA3691418993.jpeg

Reactions: mmi
This is the T5/T6. But I think the important bit is that there is a clear section below the hole is free for the fuel pipe to drop into the tank. The pio wants to be cut shorter than the height of the fuel take assembly.
IMG_20221123_211429.jpg

IMG_20221123_211226.jpgIMG_20221123_211222.jpgIMG_20221123_211218.jpg

You can see the full document by googling:

Installation Documentation VW T5 / T6

Then click on the pdf download.
I tried googling T6.1 but it just shows vans not install docs

You can see the full document by googling:

Installation Documentation VW T5 / T6

Then click on the pdf download.
I tried googling T6.1 but it just shows vans not install docs
He has the full selection of manuals!

My reply to him to help anyone else with one of these pumps

"
It is all in the T5/T6 manual page 13 - I say all but your pump does look different! Neither a T5 nor a T6 one.

Has that protuberance on the right on its own near the white label a tube underneath already? I am wondering if that already has an extraction pipe attached underneath as I can see a smaller tube in the body of the pump.( The green arrow below) If it is can the protuberance be drilled and the connection made directly to it? It does look as though it may be possible and that's its intended purpose.

If not the stand pipe is bent and cut according to the diagram on page 33 of the T5/T6 manual

pmp.jpg

Further info looking at the T6.1 pump and Paul's pics below. ( I hadn't seen this pump before )
No need for a stand pipe now.

Cut off the nipple from the top and the hole should be there.

One of these 8mm Car Black Fuel Line Hose Coupler Quick Release Connect Connector | eBay like the rest of the fuel connectors. VW must have cottoned on to the fact that they are needed!

You most probably will need to reduce the size down to 4mm from 8mm with a reducer like this Inline Straight Pipe / Hose Reducer Joining Connector Plastic MULTIPLE SIZES | eBay

Wish that I had known about this before then I could have got those bits together with the kit.

This will save people having to remove the pump unit on T6.1 s in future.

pmp2.jpg
pmp3.jpg

Fantastic! This is good news for me, as I have this job coming up and it means I don’t have to open the fuel tank in the workshop I’ll hire

I think this also means that I don’t have to split the existing fuel lines at all, since I don’t need to lift the sender out. Lower the tank just enough to trim this nipple off and push a connector on, with the heater fuel line already fixed. Then no risk of getting air in vehicle fuel lines, no priming in OBD11, and no fuel spills on the floor.

Exactly - this appears to be a godsend, well for those with a T6.1 at least. Especially as it has been discovered that the return line fixing is a no-go due to the non-return valve.

All up and running! As the legend that is Oldiebut Goodie said, I cut the nipple off and temporarily fixed the fuel line. Put at all back together and gave it a suck to be greater with the sweet taste of diesel.

I recon you could deffo fit it without dropping the tank. This picture shows the sender still in the tank (before I took it out) but just dropped down at the rear. DC307CD8-28B8-4B92-9CB2-10F95327EFC9.jpeg

As you can see, the nipple is easily accessible.

@oldiebut goodie I also have a T6.1 and I’m going to fit a diesel heater, so is this correct cut off the end of the nipple and the below fitting just pushes on to the nipple.
Also what will I need to connect the fuel line to the elbowed fitting.

Thank you in advance.

John.

C17FE7CB-C0B2-4EE2-85EC-52C18AC309C5.png

Last edited:
Yes.
You just use the standard rubber heater fuel line connector the same as used to connect the fuel line to the pump/filter/heater.

I have a T6.1 with factory fitted Webasto aux heater so there nipple shown above is already used to feed this heater. I’m fitting a (chinese) heater for air heating.

Can anyone advise whether I can tap off the line to the existing aux heater?

Last edited:
Back