Newbie considering a high mileage DSG. Should I?? Advice sought please…

POST RESURECTION.....
LETS GET SOME FACTS DOWN PEOPLE..... HIGH MILEAGE DSG WOES
Before you spend hard on your dream bus .... check ...
1) Service intervals carried out on box
2) New DMF within a recent period (unless low mileage and dead quiet)
3) Driveshafts good ... on a FWD ..... any clonk coming out of park, reverse to forward or other way.
4) Need to go for a nice smooth cruise on motorway, if you get any low vibration/oscillation in 6/7th ... say 50-60ish the DMF is most likely wearing out ....

Driveshaft splines have puny o-rings which are supposed to stop rain and grit entering the driveshaft splines in the gearbox, well in the differential, the planet gears have female splined sockets, driveshaft slip in, but wear extensively when dried out amd rusty, you can see in my 4motion upgrade post how they rot away, mine was just ready to give away at 144K. So your looking at around £5K+ for the dsg box from VW and alot of labour cost, plus a new DMF, new driveshafts, do a full service, few new rubbers ... wont be short of 10K realistically... for just 1 stripped inner driveshaft .... brutal ...
I'm not forgetting the mechatronic faults, just they haven't come my way, but think the early dq250's (smaller boxes in cars) had a few in early days,
I think the dq500 mechatronic unit is fairly reliable, the boxes are phenominal, fitted in lambos, porsches etc ... just vw cant sort there shit out when it comes to designing a robust final drive system .. I think it's something to do with cheap or incorrect materials, I reckon the steel and or hardening process on the differential splines and driveshaft stubbs is not sufficient for that continual wear, it's a crap design.
T5.1 & T6 have common running gear.

There is a really good DSG write up, on it's known faults, what to look out for and understand if there are any issue ahead, thats where I picked up about the low oscillations etc ... I just wish I had read that before I purchased my T5.1 with 122k on it ......... !!
If I bookmarked/find it.. I will post it up on here

POST RESURECTION.....
LETS GET SOME FACTS DOWN PEOPLE..... HIGH MILEAGE DSG WOES
Before you spend hard on your dream bus .... check ...
1) Service intervals carried out on box
2) New DMF within a recent period (unless low mileage and dead quiet)
3) Driveshafts good ... on a FWD ..... any clonk coming out of park, reverse to forward or other way.
4) Need to go for a nice smooth cruise on motorway, if you get any low vibration/oscillation in 6/7th ... say 50-60ish the DMF is most likely wearing out ....

Driveshaft splines have puny o-rings which are supposed to stop rain and grit entering the driveshaft splines in the gearbox, well in the differential, the planet gears have female splined sockets, driveshaft slip in, but wear extensively when dried out amd rusty, you can see in my 4motion upgrade post how they rot away, mine was just ready to give away at 144K. So your looking at around £5K+ for the dsg box from VW and alot of labour cost, plus a new DMF, new driveshafts, do a full service, few new rubbers ... wont be short of 10K realistically... for just 1 stripped inner driveshaft .... brutal ...
I'm not forgetting the mechatronic faults, just they haven't come my way, but think the early dq250's (smaller boxes in cars) had a few in early days,
I think the dq500 mechatronic unit is fairly reliable, the boxes are phenominal, fitted in lambos, porsches etc ... just vw cant sort there shit out when it comes to designing a robust final drive system .. I think it's something to do with cheap or incorrect materials, I reckon the steel and or hardening process on the differential splines and driveshaft stubbs is not sufficient for that continual wear, it's a crap design.
T5.1 & T6 have common running gear.

There is a really good DSG write up, on it's known faults, what to look out for and understand if there are any issue ahead, thats where I picked up about the low oscillations etc ... I just wish I had read that before I purchased my T5.1 with 122k on it ......... !!
If I bookmarked/find it.. I will post it up on here
Rolla - would you recommend complete driveshaft replacement at the same time DSG oil is changed ? Almost as a servieable item given the ingress issues ? My van is only 4 years old on 35k. Or suggest removal for a look to see if there is water ingress and replace o rings ?

Rolla - would you recommend complete driveshaft replacement at the same time DSG oil is changed ? Almost as a servieable item given the ingress issues ? My van is only 4 years old on 35k. Or suggest removal for a look to see if there is water ingress and replace o rings ?
I don’t know, I mean if there is any wear on the female splines.. then just possibly fate is set …
As they are a weak point, they should be serviced, but imagine vw putting hands up and doing a driveshaft recall.. not the driveshafts but cost of a new differential.. plus fitting..
vw offer a new replacement differential as a part item too.
Sorry if I have scared anyone, but my issues are real and everyone interested needs to know …
I hope the T6 4mo set up is a bit more reliable.
My gubbed driveshaft was on the 2wd extension side, my van didn’t have a belly pan either until I fitted one, so all road debri and rain could get at it.
If your garage is good, get the driveshafts pulled inspected cleaned and regreased, new o rings.
If cared for, serviced then they should last, mine was bit beaten up and the circlip was dust.. @144k

Ho about on snow? Anybody got any experience or comment on using DSG on snow?
Never driven mine on snow, but mud yes. Yiu don't get the same level of control as you would with a manual but it's excellent in all other scenarios.

Back