Looking to buy - 2.0tdi issues?

Longers

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi, I'm new here. I'm looking to buy a van and hoping to get some advice.

Been searching around whats out there, looking at a panel van with a view to slowly upgrading as I go (fitting kombi seats initially, and windows and slowly turning into a day van as funds allow. I previously had a Passat with the 1.9tdi which was amazing and gave me 150k miles without any issues at all. However I've seen the 2.0tdi has a number of issues (scare stories?) with it - but my question is are they isolated problems, or issues with early engines that have now been sorted, or is it something I really need to worry about? Also, can they be sorted by preventative maintenance. Was looking at 1.9's, but live on the edge of ULEZ so Euro6 is probably a requirement for me.

I'm good with maintaining vehicles myself so that's not an issue, but don't want to get into a money pit - not that I think any VW should be but wanted to understand.

Going to take a look at a couple of ex AA/RAC vans later, all 150 startlines. They are high milers (140 - 170k) but look to be in great condition and well maintained. Not put off by high mileage, and would expect those to be well maintained, but if anyone has experience and specific things to look out for that would be awesome.

Thanks! PS - apologies this has probably been posted many times already but couldn't spot any specific posts and wanted to get a general feeling from owners before I commit to anything.

The ‘business pack’ gave some fleet Startlines air con, captain’s seat, a couple other things worth having.

I was looking after the maintenance of my T5 2.5Tdi. Simple beast compared to the T6 2.0tdi 150dsg. Just had one sensor and dpf replaced, 4K bill!!! (Under extended warranty luckily). The engine bay looks like jungle, understanding what is what it’s a job itself!.
I would buy it again for sure but it could be very expensive to repair. (And my 2016 has only got 52k miles).

140k ex AA here, no issues, it was serviced with proof every 6 months. I did however have new clutch, flywheel, discs / pads, waterpump, belts etc when I bought it. I’m running a revo stg1 and it flies. I thought the 150tdi 6speed was the most robust and reliable combo?

Back