Newbie considering a high mileage DSG. Should I?? Advice sought please…

ChamFan74

Hi. Looking for a little advice here…

I’ve managed to convince SOH that we should swap our existing A3 for a T6 (previously had Vivaro & Relay campers so not strangers to vans) to use for a mixture of work and pleasure.

Not got the deepest pockets though and need eu6 for future-proofed city driving. In looking around the only vehicle I can find that matches the spec we want at the price we can afford is a 66-plate high mileage T30 DSG with 170k on the clock.

I’ve plenty of experience with vans but no experience with DSG (or with VW tbh), and have always been a manual only kinda guy (for driving on snow here in Scotland). What should I be looking out for here? And is such a high mileage DSG likely to just be a bad idea in the first place? Any advice anyone can give would be most welcome.

Also, doesn’t anyone know of a good independent garage (or 2) in or around Edinburgh? For repairs, servicing and maybe a decent remap.

Cheers!

Hi. Looking for a little advice here…

I’ve managed to convince SOH that we should swap our existing A3 for a T6 (previously had Vivaro & Relay campers so not strangers to vans) to use for a mixture of work and pleasure.

Not got the deepest pockets though and need eu6 for future-proofed city driving. In looking around the only vehicle I can find that matches the spec we want at the price we can afford is a 66-plate high mileage T30 DSG with 170k on the clock.

I’ve plenty of experience with vans but no experience with DSG (or with VW tbh), and have always been a manual only kinda guy (for driving on snow here in Scotland). What should I be looking out for here? And is such a high mileage DSG likely to just be a bad idea in the first place? Any advice anyone can give would be most welcome.

Also, doesn’t anyone know of a good independent garage (or 2) in or around Edinburgh? For repairs, servicing and maybe a decent remap.

Cheers!
The mileage for its age wouldn’t bother me that much - yep, it’s about 20k miles a year but probably been easier miles than lots of short journeys.

Regarding euro6 when I put my registration in the London Ulez site it shows the van as being liable to a charge despite being Euro6!

Regarding euro6 when I put my registration in the London Ulez site it shows the van as being liable to a charge despite being Euro6!
I’ve also just checked and mine also says I need to pay but when you read the details it says Euro6 Vans are exempt?

Just to add to the confusion, our Euro5 T6 won’t be charged in Birmingham, even though it’s Euro6 that is supposed to be free !

Pete

we can afford is a 66-plate high mileage T30 DSG with 170k on the clock.
The mileage for its age wouldn’t bother me that much - yep, it’s about 20k miles a year but probably been easier miles than lots of short journeys.

@JOG - you and I do maths differently!
It's a five year old (approx.) T6 with 170K on the clock. How is that 20K a year?

I think if I were buying any van I would want the current owner / dealer to produce the printed maintenance history, planned and corrective (with no pages missing).

It's a five year old (approx.) T6 with 170K on the clock. How is that 20K a year?
Yes I’m making this 30-35k miles per year on average too. If that’s motorway miles then better than if it was back-roads I think.

Yes I’m making this 30-35k miles per year on average too. If that’s motorway miles then better than if it was back-roads I think.
High mileage doesn't bother me if it has been properly maintained, as you rightly say that's probably a lot of motorway miles.
Cold starts cause a lot of wear but that van has probably had no more cold starts than one with half the miles on the clock.

That’s not maths, that’s arithmetic! Excuse me while I continue to ponder the bigger picture…!!! So, the view that it might have had “easy mile” is sound?!!!

Can I mumble "cam belt/ water pump?"
Also don't spend the maintenance money on a remap that is bound to aggravate any existing engine and transmission wear if you add another 100lb/ft of torque.
Without being nosey you would probably focus opinions if you gave an idea of how much the seller is asking?

Just to add to the confusion, our Euro5 T6 won’t be charged in Birmingham, even though it’s Euro6 that is supposed to be free !

Pete
I had this with our Euro 5. Was ULEZ compliant for London when we first got it and then we started getting charged sometime later November. No advance warning from TFL just starting noticing the charge as it’s registered for the Congestion Charge so at least didn’t get fined. Wrote several times to TFL to ask why and they just replied with “It’s Euro 5” but no explanation as to when they decided to change the restrictions. Also a friends caddy is EU6 but as it was registered in 2016 it was assumed by TFL to be EU5. I think new vans didn’t need to be EU6 until Sept 2016 hence the confusion.

Back