My Shuttle Day-Van Conversion

Along with the bed, do you know if that pod will allow you to classify the van as a camper if you want to? Looks like a great unit with all the basics including a proper fridge, did you have to wait long to order it?

I have a pod (altho slightly different to that one as my pod is about half the size and my fridge is not part of the pod) in mine and its DVLA classified as a camper, Altho it was classified before they got tough with all the sticker and pop top requirements.

Fitted the drivers side heated seat pads today. I toyed with the idea of cheap pads off of ebay but worried that they wouldn't last, wouldn't fit properly and might cause a fire hazard so stumped up the cash for the below. Fitting was pretty easy as I have a leisure battery.

Omg they are super warm on your bum and lower back.

Last edited:
I can vouch for a a king bed! There great! I have one in the back of my lwb shuttle and it’s so good, I got a mattress topper for £10 from b&m bargains and just finished it off!

View attachment 96938

View attachment 96939

View attachment 96940

View attachment 96941

View attachment 96942

View attachment 96943
Nice set up :)

I want to carry two bikes in mine also. Looks like you have to remove both wheels to get them under there? Do you find the frames get scratched at all?

Nice set up :)

I want to carry two bikes in mine also. Looks like you have to remove both wheels to get them under there? Do you find the frames get scratched at all?
Its not ideal to be fair, theres only actually my bike and my sons 20" in there and its a squeze, have to thread it under the rear seats. if i go away without the lad I turf out all the middle seats and put them upside down in the middle and use the floor clips to strap them down.

My van-king bed arrived yesterday, got it fitted asap and then slept in the van last night. Lovely bit of kit.

Two things I didnt realise when purchasing the bed were 1. The headrests need to be installed to support the feet end of the mattress. 2. The table that slides out is the support that you sleep on.

20210113_143106.jpg

Fitted the drivers side heated seat pads today. I toyed with the idea of cheap pads off of ebay but worried that they wouldn't last, wouldn't fit properly and might cause a fire hazard so stumped up the cash foe the below. Fitting was pretty easy as I have a leisure battery.

Omg they are super warm on your bum and lower back.

Very nice. I read that they were the better make to install. For something that is “fit and forget”, I’d rather pay a bit extra for the peace of mind too

Fitted vangear pod unit. You can see theres just enough room for someone to sit behind the unit, the van-king bed also fits.

Absolute bastid to secure the unit to the seat plates using a J hook !!! I need to find another way to do it...

vangearpod.jpg

vangearpod1.jpg

Looks really good. Could you create another carpeted ply base under the van gear unit (appropriately fixed together) and then bolt that down to the factory lashing points...

Looks really good. Could you create another carpeted ply base under the van gear unit (appropriately fixed together) and then bolt that down to the factory lashing points...

Thats a good idea, I will look into that. My next job is to create a large pull out drawer under the van-king bed so will have left over wood from that :)

This has been a great thread, thanks for all the photos.. really informative.
tbh the wiring photos scared me a bit, that looks well out of my comfort zone to install, so its helped me think about next van......(and rule out doing electrics myself)
I had a nice t6 and then upsized to a pvc Boxer with lengthwise beds and a loo, nice van but miss the vw, so this year looking to go to a lwb with a good bed. After two full on motorhomes , a t6 and now a pvc realised that we dont need all the fixed luxuries .
hadnt heard of the king beds , they are such a smart solution,
Thanks again guys for an interesting and informative thread

Nice work and quick progress! Just bought my first shuttle (exactly the same as yours) to have a go at after previously and still owning PV's. Just debating as to weather I want to go full camper with pop top or day van with a sink/fridge pod, removable seat in the middle and sliding rails r and r bed at the back. What you doing with the HVAC at the rear?
Hi, I’ve previously owned a panel van and now I’m looking for something else... how do shuttles compare to panel vans for road noise etc, is it a more refined vehicle? With the price of vans at the minute I’m thinking shuttles are a better option for a day van.

Hi, I’ve previously owned a panel van and now I’m looking for something else... how do shuttles compare to panel vans for road noise etc, is it a more refined vehicle? With the price of vans at the minute I’m thinking shuttles are a better option for a day van.
My personal opinion...I would never have a panel Van again. Especially at the prices theyre going for at the moment. I wouldn't say they were harder to convert but do probably take more time/thinking time. It's definitely a much more refined and quieter drive, probably helps that I have an auto 150bhp with carpet in the cab alongside windows all round. Added to this is the fact you can adhear to car speed limits on dual carriageways which is a bonus. Just got to be careful with the tax depending on the initial price of the van and age, mines 2 and a bit years old and the original RRP was north of 40k which equates to £475 a year...

My personal opinion...I would never have a panel Van again. Especially at the prices theyre going for at the moment. I wouldn't say they were harder to convert but do probably take more time/thinking time. It's definitely a much more refined and quieter drive, probably helps that I have an auto 150bhp with carpet in the cab alongside windows all round. Added to this is the fact you can adhear to car speed limits on dual carriageways which is a bonus. Just got to be careful with the tax depending on the initial price of the van and age, mines 2 and a bit years old and the original RRP was north of 40k which equates to £475 a year...
Am I right in thinking there’s 2 models for the T6 shape... S and SE? Cheers for your help.

The SE comes with the shag pile carpet and a host of extras. Pop down yo your local and test drive one

Am I right in thinking there’s 2 models for the T6 shape... S and SE? Cheers for your help.
Yep, best to look at the specs online and I'm sure the 6.1 shuttles will probably differ to the 6. But in summary the SE on the 6 has Rear Aircon as default, a nice carpet, darker slightly nicer looking trim (IMO) and they have body coloured bumpers.

Back