iPad infotainment in T6

Steve1978

T6 Guru
Hi,

So I have for a very long time been thinking about replacing my Pioneer FB88DAB (which is an outstanding unit by the way) with an iPad Mini.

My reasons for wanting to do this are:
1) love google maps and Waze
2) Screen is brighter, I actually cant see the screen at all in the summer.
3) Familiar interface
4) having that iOS experience in the Van
5) because I love to tinker.

The challenges I face

1) I would need to rethink my reversing camera which currently kicks in when I use revers. - I could get a rear view mirror replacement which has a RCA hook up for rear camera
2) I would need to either hook up the iPad to the van speakers or replace the speaker with a Bluetooth item - bought a Bose Soundlink mini, looking at various amps and Dacs.
3) I would need to get power to the iPad - Possible rerouting the cigarette lighter
4) Getting my telephone calls to come through the iPad using hands free - if i was to buy a Mifi device I could link the phone and the iPad through the Mifi Wifi and then calls can come through the mini
5) making it all fit like it belongs - I have bought a 3d printer, no prior experience with 3d printers or with 3d Cad design.
6) i have a TV in the rear (HDMI) to the head unit, great for watching films in the back - I have the Apple lightning to HDMI splitter

So I have taken the front off the van and created a new facia. The hole that is in the van for the factory radio is a isosceles trapezoid, I have created a new facia that fits the hole but covers all the black surrounds of the iPad mini 4. I need to either drill a hole for the home button or reprint with a hole for the home button, probably a reprint with a few size adjustments as i would like a slightly snugger fit.

Secondly I have created a backbox for the iPad, this has some cut-outs, one to slide the iPad out when the dash is off, one for the volume and powers so they don't get pressed by the backbox, its a snug fit. lastly a cut out for the audio jack in case I decide to utilise that.

Still to do - Create a standoff for the "case" so that it screws in to the existing holes and sits in the right position in relation to the dash.

Backing.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
My initial thought is if it's just the apps then Android head units are kinda drop in these days, but can't argue with your point #5 on why you want to do it!

My concern if you build in this far will be thermal management, which I think is why you have a grill type back box. I'd be very tempted to try and put a large computer fan there, say 120mm, and then run it from the 5v feed you'll need anyway for the iPad so it runs slow and quiet. Maybe think about a print with some air channels in so that the air can flow over the rear of the iPad.

You know what, I can’t stand android! Lol.

I’ve got apple car play on my current stereo and I like it but connecting up all the time is a pain in the bum and I never bother.

correct about the holes, dual purpose, use less plastic and ventilation. If I’ve got the heaters on in the van coming out the front blowers then it might get pretty hot behind there. Time will tell if that’s an issue or not. Maybe the next back ox I make can have a 120mm cut out for a fan…

Very interested in your project as would love my iPad on the dash. Will be following with interest. :cool:

Have you considered the Carpuride W901 Pro? I have it installed in my T6 and it works like a charm. Other than the power cable it is totally wireless from my iPhone to the W901 then from it to my crappy VW head unit. Automatic and seamless. Can use screen mirroring or CarPlay.

Phone calls, music and Sat nav all work a treat.

BigDean.

That’s an interesting bit of kit Dean. Have you got a picture of it in your van please?

My concern is that 1) I would lose my hdmi 2) I would lose my reversing camera. 3) it would look a bit odd just sunroom cupped to the dash, crying out for someone to just open the window with a brick and take it.

I do have a USB wireless Apple CarPlay plugged in to the pioneer. That works ok, but I still can’t see the screen because it’s not bright enough.

That’s an interesting bit of kit Dean. Have you got a picture of it in your van please?

My concern is that 1) I would lose my hdmi 2) I would lose my reversing camera. 3) it would look a bit odd just sunroom cupped to the dash, crying out for someone to just open the window with a brick and take it.

I do have a USB wireless Apple CarPlay plugged in to the pioneer. That works ok, but I still can’t see the screen because it’s not bright enough.
See attached.

My rev cam is on the mirror monitor.

Can’t help on the HDMI, don’t tend to watch TV in the van. Just a bit of streaming on the iPad every now and again.

Brightness not an issue so far. Only had the van for a few weeks so can’t say it’s a long term test but much brighter than the VW head unit.

I tend to clip it off and put in the door if I am out and about.

Hope this helps.

IMG_5730.jpeg

If you look in a strong light you should be able to see where the light sensor is, then just make sure you have a hole in the frame there and it can do it's job.

See attached.

Can’t help on the HDMI, don’t tend to watch TV in the van. Just a bit of streaming on the iPad every now and again.

Brightness not an issue so far. Only had the van for a few weeks so can’t say it’s a long term test but much brighter than the VW head unit.

Hope this helps.
Nice addition, if my printing turns in to a no go I will probably end up with one of these, could easily fabricate something on 3d printer so it looks like it grew there.

Progress thread is here:

Last edited by a moderator:
See attached.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 212938
BigDean just picked up this thread, interested in this unit after spotting an online review. How is your unit holding up, still a strong recommendation ?

This is a great project.

I wish that I could buy a device that enables me to have wired/wireless Apple CarPlay:

• Touch screen
  • Double DIN sized screen