Multiple Engine Management Faults

Latest update.
Dealer called to report they have inspected the EGR and can not see any signs of coolant or excess soot but Technical Support Team have seen the pictures, passed it onto Factory level and they advise them to replace the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) value and to check the settings of the selective catalytic reduction (SCR) system.
They also report the EGR is on back order and won't be available until middle of next week. Even service manager said maybe that tells you something when they are out of stock at factory level.
Indeed, isn't it a shame there is no way of knowing just how many T6's have this problem around the world. If our sample audience is anything to go off, then the numbers could be rather large.

We're gonna have to stop this, people will think that we are in cahoots or something. Next step world domination! Wahahahahahahaha (said in an evil way with little finger adjacent to corner of mouth - as there is no emoji for that)

We're gonna have to stop this, people will think that we are in cahoots or something. Next step world domination! Wahahahahahahaha (said in an evil way with little finger adjacent to corner of mouth - as there is no emoji for that)
Be wary of the Thought Police. Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they are not out to get you :rofl:. Line your hat with aluminium foil :cool:

Latest update.
Dealer called to report they have inspected the EGR and can not see any signs of coolant or excess soot but Technical Support Team have seen the pictures, passed it onto Factory level and they advise them to replace the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) value and to check the settings of the selective catalytic reduction (SCR) system.
They also report the EGR is on back order and won't be available until middle of next week. Even service manager said maybe that tells you something when they are out of stock at factory level.
Folks, some news,.

I have been told that our national VW HQ has made "group reclamation" of excessive fuel consumption of several EU6 T6s. I don´t know if this is exact term in english. The bottom line is that even we have only few of these T6´s up here, our HQ have them too many with owners complaining. And mine is one of those.

Meanwhile, while they are working on your car, perhaps you can ask them to verify that the following measuring values of the engine. This shouldn't be an issue for them if they already pulled out the EGR-package for their inspection.

These are the "suspicious" measurements values in engines CXFA, CXHA, and CXEB. The measurements haven't yet been verified by VW to be either correct or incorrect (unfortunately no spec available locally). But wanted to bring these up if your technicians will get some ideas. Anyways, those are consistent on those engines, but not for example in CAAC (T5, EU5), neither on CRLB (EU6, 110kW/150hp on Golf).

IDE00385 Pre-injection 2: activation start
IDE01380 Pre-injection 3: activation start

And for your own records perhaps you could ask for

IDE06059 Particulate filter: oil ash mass --> at 110g - it's time for a new one.

- - - - -

PS. Just eyewitnessed installation of EGR-package... :whistle: Didn't dare to take a picture :speechless:

EDIT 12.9.2021.
The above mentioned excessive fuel consumption turned out to be (1) a "ghost" in the way how fuel consumption is reported on dash. More here:
Another reason for "true" excessivce fuel consumption can be (2) many short, consecutive journeys when engine is effectively doing almost "full-time" DPF regeneration. A likely scenario explained here:
However, VW released a new engine software for all EU6 engines in 2019-20 which seems to have cured many "false" faults. The update also improved the DPF regeneration regime thus improving also fuel economy - though marginally. A more detailed report... some day... hopefully...

Last edited:
@mmi Thanks for the information as I'm sure those on the Forum who have been affected will be extremely grateful too, especially @Twoguns who has I believe suffered the longest. My apologies to others on the Forum that I haven't addressed and who are in the same boat but may I suggest a concerted push on VWUK to contact VW Finland to join forces on this issue.

I think VWUK are too busy slapping the wrists of van brokers to have the time to liaise with others to find solutions for all the vans that are faulty :D:D:D.

I think they might as well at this point just map out the sensor until they have found a permanent solution. This is an area they are experts in I think.

@Twoguns, good to see some progress for you, have you heard from VWCS yet?
Don't get carried away @G11hws , I've been in this position many times before with the same end result, being low loaded back to dealers after a couple hundred miles.
I really think they are clutching at straws with replacing the EGR as there was no sign of coolant or excessive soot which they asked them to check for.
Not sure what they mean by "check the settings of the selective catalytic reduction (SCR) system" I thought that name was given to the whole system, AdBlue tank, pump, Injector, sensors, catalytic converter etc so will ask them to confirm this.

Just got mine back. Apparently they did find the throttle body potentiometer was giving out of range signals. New one fitted along with sensor / software that was also fitted as part of the bulletin.
That said I never had a fault light just poor mpg and what felt like inconsistent regenerations.

Found this link, read through to end, says that if ash content is above 49mg, a regen won't occur as there is a danger of excessive heat.. This is not on a 6, but interesting, also you can measure the soot Or ash content of dpf using VCDS.. Possibly, over to you @Adams , is this poss on the 6?

Puzzled about DPF life

More modern version of the graph can be found in document "VW Service Training. Self Study Programme 514 – New family of 2.0l TDI engines EA288". (Later SSP 514). The document is a few years old (approx. 2013), and applies to EU5 engines. But, most likely this part applies also to EU6 engines, because big leap from EU5 to EU6 is the change of NOx performance - where the AdBlue has a role.

Related living measurement values on T6 are (at least) the following (can be read at least by VCDS and VW-service tools, any others, anyone?):
IDE00432 Particle filter: time since last regeneration
IDE00434 Particle filter: soot mass calculated
IDE00435 Particle filter: soot mass measured
IDE00436 Particle filter: kilometers since last regeneration
IDE01407 Particle filter: fuel consumption since last regeneration
IDE06059 Particulate filter: oil ash mass​

The following three values seem to be embedded fixed values/limits of the T6 (verified on engine CXFA, would expect to be same on all EU6 diesel variants of T6).
IDE06060 Particulate filter ash load limit -- reads out 110 g (ash), assumption is that when "IDE06059 Particulate filter: oil ash mass" reaches 110 g, the DPF needs to be replaced.
IDE09339 Charge limit for service regeneration while driving -- this reads out 40 g (soot)
IDE01410 Charge limit over charge -- this reads out 50 g (soot), assumption is that if regeneretions keep failing and eventually "IDE00434 Particle filter: soot mass calculated "reaches this 50 g, regeneration of DPF is not allowed any more, not even by VW-service tools, and the DPF needs to be replaced. Reason stated is high risk of uncontrolled burn of soot.​

Attached picture from document SSP 514 says that when soot mass ( I'm assuming "IDE00434 Particle filter: soot mass calculated") is below 18g you are in range (green line) of (possible) passive regeneration (green dotted line). To get that happen obviously quite heavy load is needed - it seems that need to reach steady exhaust temp of 600C+ at input of DPF. Perhaps less, but 450C seems not to be enough. Van alone - something like 120+ km/h. A big trailer would probably help!
The reason why I'm assuming IDE00434 (instead of -435) to be correct value is that it matches with what's going on, and there is no actual soot mass measurement sensor on T6. Nevertheless, the values from IDE00435 align with an offset with calculated ones - verified that VCDS values matches with VW tester, too.​

Soot mass between from 18g up to 30g (blue line, "IDE00434") kicks in active regeneration -> continues till value is less than 6g (blue dotted line down). Seems to do like this on mine. Observed that active regen keeps the exhaust temp in range 650...700C+ at turbo input up to 20 mins.

DPF light will turn ON when soot mass reaches 30g (purple line), (value from SSP 514), and obviously driver has to do regen drive before the soot mass reaches 40g ("IDE09339 Charge limit for service regeneration while driving"), to get soot mass down to below 6 g (purple dotted line down).

Service regeneration (initiated by VW tester, perhaps with VCDS, too?) is required when soot mass is 40-50g (pink line) (note: for T6 from "IDE01410 Charge limit over charge = 50g"-> slightly relaxed spec). Soot mass will be below 6g after successful regen.
Regen_phases.JPG

The document SSP 514 also states that active regen will take place if you reach 750 km without a regen, as a precaution if nothing else has triggered it.
-----
Note: Soot burns, ash does not - ash is residual of burned soot, but mainly residual of burned engine oil (ash deposits from inorganic additives in the engine oil) captured in the DPF. One of the reasons why the spec/properties of the engine oil has a role in these engines- ashless preferred. As always.

Hmm, I'm pretty concerned by this as I have a 150 DSG (CXFA) manufactured during summer 2016. I haven't had any issues yet but then we haven't done too much mileage yet. What mileage was it when engine lights started appearing?

I've spent half my life over the last six months with VWCV sorting out an incorrect spec issue so I'm really not looking forward to another issue. As part of that, I've learned that there is absolutely no one in VWCV UK that knows these vans on a technical level - all the knowledge is in Germany.

Can Carista read off the logged NOX warnings? I should probably try that.

Latest update.

Can I just ask, do they give you a replacement vehicle while its in garage? I do 70 miles a day so cant afford to be off the road.

Can I just ask, do they give you a replacement vehicle while its in garage? I do 70 miles a day so cant afford to be off the road.
Yes if it's a warranty issue you drop yours off and drive away in one of theirs until it's fixed

Wonderful news everyone.
Was doing 70mph with cruise control in 6th gear. For about 10mins down the a46. Got off the junction and voila.....

Engine check light.

Can i join your club now.

Van drives the same, nothing has changed, stop start still works. But Engine checky Mclightface.

That's 11500 miles. 150ps manual.

Wonderful news everyone.
Was doing 70mph with cruise control in 6th gear. For about 10mins down the a46. Got off the junction and voila.....

Engine check light.

Can i join your club now.

Van drives the same, nothing has changed, stop start still works. But Engine checky Mclightface.

That's 11500 miles. 150ps manual.
Oh no, this could be the 2nd 150 manual with an engine management light this week. Let's hope for everyone's sake this is not the start of an expanding problem.

So Sorry to hear this Ratty! How will you stand with the remap? I hope that doesn't prevent VW from looking into the issue for you??

Back