MPG 150 DSG

The MPG on the 150's is so wildly different.

How can a fully converted van get 36/40 mpg, yet my completely empty 150 kombi gets 30mpg MAX. And drive it like a granny.

I'm genuinly confused.
Same here...

Same here even on locked 50mph speed limited motorways and loads of eco driving. 30mpg is still difficult.

On a side note regarding the engine being small....it's roughly The the size as every other 2.0 engine....hence or being a 2.0. Accessory wise the turbo and routing is smaller as it's charge cooled not intercooler so visually it looks smaller.

The MPG on the 150's is so wildly different.

How can a fully converted van get 36/40 mpg, yet my completely empty 150 kombi gets 30mpg MAX. And drive it like a granny.

I'm genuinly confused.
Manual gearbox? Standard 16" rims? No traffic, traffic lights etc.

Manual gearbox? Standard 16" rims? No traffic, traffic lights etc.

Mines a DSG. I have 19's fitted with the same rollong radius as the 215/65r16s that were on it before when it still only managed 30mpg.
Driving is not really stop start. Mostly 30 minute journeys up and down the dual carridgeway. Speed is always 62mph on cruise. Best I got was 32mpg on a trip up to Sheffield and back. Nearly four hours on the A1 with cruise set to 62mph.
My T5 174 LWB remapped to 200bhp carrying 500kg of kit managed 33mpg.
My T6 is the only vehicle I've owned where youcan actually see the fuel guage going down.

Had two Seat Altea XLs. 1.9 pd tdi and a 1.6 cr. Both would do 35 mpg towing 1200kg of laden caravan. Yet getting 35mpg can be a real challenge with my empty 150 DSG.

20180219_235859.png

I find using the cruise control increases consumption.....there is a noticeable reduction when my right foot is in control.

I find using the cruise control increases consumption.....there is a noticeable reduction when my right foot is in control.
I rarely use cruise as it disables the freewheel function which seems to make real difference to fuel consumption.

I’ve got a 150 DSG fully converted to camper and am seeing about 35-40 mpg. I was getting more than this (circa 140 mile trip to Bala last year, complete with bikes and boat trailer, the MFD reported 51mpg) but since a “software update” last year it does seem to have come down.

I do drive a bit like Miss Daisy, sticking to speed limits, etc., and never use the cruise control since seeing reports like those above that it increases consumption. Also, I rarely use the air con (not sure if this has the same impact on fuel as it did on older vehicles?)

My 150 manual consistently averages 36 - 38 mpg, i always get over 600 miles to a tank, it has the 80L tank. Admittedly i do long runs and stick pretty much to the limits.
I've found that minimising the use of brakes and anticipating ahead is as important as driving steadily.

Been using my Cali for work lately so not expecting great things on a 10 mile run, it's only just getting warm when I get to work. If I take it on a long run to Wales it varies greatly, best I have had id 47mph overall though I have seen higher in places but seems to be around 45. Towing an unladed caravan, (Never load mine up) seems to come in around 30 or less. Face it the T6 is a big brick as far as aero dynamics is concerned so you will never come any were near what car will do. All I can say is it seems to be a little better than my old Suzuki Vitara

Are you all driving Panel Vans, Kombi Vans or converted versions of these? I ask because I've owned a T5 Caravelle and a T5 Kombi, both 6 Speed 2.5 130's and the Caravelle was much more economical to the tune of 10 mpg extra! I drove them the same and can only assume that the gearing or factory ECU mapping is different.

My 150 manual consistently averages 36 - 38 mpg, i always get over 600 miles to a tank, it has the 80L tank. Admittedly i do long runs and stick pretty much to the limits.
I've found that minimising the use of brakes and anticipating ahead is as important as driving steadily.
my mpg.jpg

It usually takes about 76 Litres when i get to this situation although its showing empty..

View attachment 18468

It usually takes about 76 Litres when i get to this situation although its showing empty..
I never run mine that low - there was a long thread last year around DPF issues where with the apparent sensitivity of the whole system (ad blue, etc) it was recommended that you don’t run low on fuel (sediment at bottom of tank, etc).

Back