Fickle MPG

This has drifted totally off topic...But...

If you want to improve the handling get B14's ;) (the drop is a nice bonus too!)

But if you want versatility raise it.
Van = utility vehicle.

Ours was very handy on a recent Coastguard shout (a friend had borrowed the Outback); loads of clearance, good grip with the 4wd. The T6 is also much better protected underneath than the T5.1 we used to have.

But if you want versatility raise it.
Van = utility vehicle.

Ours was very handy on a recent Coastguard shout (a friend had borrowed the Outback); loads of clearance, good grip with the 4wd. The T6 is also much better protected underneath than the T5.1 we used to have.

Agreed, but since mine spends 99% of its time on the tarmac and still has more ground clearance than most cars for getting onto site it works for me! ;)

I've got 18" Ronal rims with normal tyres - I like nice but tasteful wheels and I didn't like the Devonports. That's it for me. Even if I wanted to lower the suspension, which I don't, I couldn't because I make occasional deliveries to building sites, which would knacker it in seconds. I don't quite have the emotional response of Polzeylad or Phantom to the rest of the body kit, loud paint jobs, exhaust etc, but it's not for me. Besides, no one wants to see a 48 year old Rude Crew hanger on.

This thread seems to have veered off topic a bit!

Thanks - I hadn't seen that document before. On the basis of the document there would seem to be no difference between the 2 (CXFA/CXHA) 150PS variants, i.e. only 1 mention of both which appears on the same chart. I know I'm clutching at straws but I was hoping to see something that says there is a difference somewhere and can be used as the basis of further categorising the problems a few people have reported with the 150 DSG, i.e. are they happening on the CXFA, CXHA variant or both.

Interesting. Seems that document: "VW Service Training - Self Study Programme 561 – T6 2016 - Introduction" is outdated. It specified DSG transmission only with engines CXFA 110kW/150bhp and CXEB 150kW/204bhp. According to the document with manual-6 gearbox –both variants CXHA and CXFA (110kW/150bhp) were available, and of course with engine CXEB (150kW).

According to document "VW Service Training - Self Study Programme 564 – 2.0l TDI engines in T6", balancing shafts in cylinder block are only in engines CXFA and CXEB. Others – without. No other differences mentioned between CXHA and CXFA. CXGA is 62kW/84bhp variant of same family. CXGB – 75kW/102bhp. (I'm not sure if my document is the same as the referenced one -at least mine is not in English, does the number 564 match?)

Excellent :). Looks promising :thumbsup:! I saw in another thread that yours is 150ps+DSG, which should imply engine type of CXFA. Could you please check/report for us instantaneous consumption on your MFD when engine is idling (turn off Auto Start/Stop before you stop) after some driving (10 mins+), engine hot (90C), DSG at P, turning off lights, A/C, blower, etc. MFD should report it as liters/hour as soon the vehicle is standing. Thanks.
How do you know which engine you have?????

As above, engine code will be on build sticker in drivers footwell

Excellent :). Looks promising :thumbsup:! I saw in another thread that yours is 150ps+DSG, which should imply engine type of CXFA. Could you please check/report for us instantaneous consumption on your MFD when engine is idling (turn off Auto Start/Stop before you stop) after some driving (10 mins+), engine hot (90C), DSG at P, turning off lights, A/C, blower, etc. MFD should report it as liters/hour as soon the vehicle is standing. Thanks.
Took Sandy for a drive this am. 15 miles through town and back round the bypass. When cold 35 mpg. Soon as warmed up never dropped below 40 mpg even round town. When I got back did as you said blue motion and other electrics off MFD just said ----------- so put it to add mpg. Left for 10 mins on drive running add mpg 45.7.

Reactions: mmi
Thanks, that’s a good piece of information. Today even I saw nice 49.5 mpg after my daily 20 mile run, but for still unknown reason mine will fall on becoming Friday down to about 28-30 mpg. Well, the real number is about 9% worse thanks to optimistic MFD.

I have recorded my runs quite some time with VCDS, and I can see a strange repeating pattern in consumption doing my regular daily home-work-home runs. The cycle is about 250 km’s – so from a regen to next regen. After a regen the consumption will fall down to 28-30 mpg, and then gradually it steps up to 55 mpg till next regen. And starts the cycle over… after 200 km's from regen it will back to wonderful 50+ mpg for 2-3 days. Quite funny—a kind of! o_O :(

Actually what I tried to ask was if you could change your MFD to display instantaneous consumption for the reaading. It should read liters/hour after a few seconds when standing.
MFD_consumption.jpg

The reason why I’m asking is that with “good vans" it stays at 0,5 liters/hour, but mine has never shown below 0.7 liters/hour. Any numbers from 140ps EU5 variants, please?

Thanks, that’s a good piece of information. Today even I saw nice 49.5 mpg after my daily 20 mile run, but for still unknown reason mine will fall on becoming Friday down to about 28-30 mpg. Well, the real number is about 9% worse thanks to optimistic MFD.

I have recorded my runs quite some time with VCDS, and I can see a strange repeating pattern in consumption doing my regular daily home-work-home runs. The cycle is about 250 km’s – so from a regen to next regen. After a regen the consumption will fall down to 28-30 mpg, and then gradually it steps up to 55 mpg till next regen. And starts the cycle over… after 200 km's from regen it will back to wonderful 50+ mpg for 2-3 days. Quite funny—a kind of! o_O :(

Actually what I tried to ask was if you could change your MFD to display instantaneous consumption for the reaading. It should read liters/hour after a few seconds when standing.
View attachment 8644

The reason why I’m asking is that with “good vans" it stays at 0,5 liters/hour, but mine has never shown below 0.7 liters/hour. Any numbers from 140ps EU5 variants, please?

On uk vans instant consumption is in mpg, European vans are l/hr

On uk vans instant consumption is in mpg, European vans are l/hr
Even when standing still?? Mine changes from liters/100km to liters/hour when I stop and stand still, and back to liters/100km when moving again.

Gallons per hour would be too small a figure to show much variation on the number of decimal places available

Reactions: mmi
So yesterday I decided to check my mpg as I had 10 hours of driving to do in the van. I topped up when it said 20 miles range and then clocked how many miles I had done when it got back to 20 miles range.

My manual calculation based on this mileage and how much fuel I put it equates to 34mpg. My multifunction computer also says 34mpg

This was 10 hours of mainly spirited motorway driving with some dual carriageway and windy country roads. I have a 140 T30 Euro 5 LWB which is currently a shell in the back and empty.

I was initially bummed out at 34mpg but reading this thread it seems that it's the norm pretty much considering I don't have cruise and was not driving efficiently. I had half hoped it would be more than that but looks like this is the reality of driving a box shaped vehicle with a heavy right foot (all within the confines of the law your honour)

I drove to Cardiff last week, 240 odd miles or so with 4 of us and gear. All motorway obviously, and a lot of 50mph sections, but never more than 73mph on the CC. 46mpg, which was nice. A few days later, late at night, we did the return journey. Once we where out of Wales the cruise control was increased to say......legal limit plus 10% and I returned 34mpg. There was probably a region in there as well at some point.

My point being, you go above 70 the mpg will drop, it's simples.

I've found my trip computer is very close to the calculation of actual fuel used, within 1.5mpg! Generally get around 33mpg in general use and up to 42mpg (both true mpg) on longer journeys. My old hightop LWB used to teeter around 25-26 and never broke 30, so I'm pretty happy with what I'm getting now :thumbsup:

I've found my trip computer is very close to the calculation of actual fuel used, within 1.5mpg! Generally get around 33mpg in general use and up to 42mpg (both true mpg) on longer journeys. My old hightop LWB used to teeter around 25-26 and never broke 30, so I'm pretty happy with what I'm getting now :thumbsup:

You're lucky.......my Multi Fantasy Display is always 6 to 7 mpg on the optimistic side! I wonder if mine was incorrectly calibrated.....apparently, it can be altered with vcds. I think mine is slowly becoming more inaccurate with every tankful! I estimate, by the time I'm up 50,000 miles, my MFD will be reading 100mpg no bother!

Back