MFSW - Golf GTd MkVII + DSG Paddles -- How I Done It --

Do the DSG Paddles work?

did they do the PIC chip in just one side of the buttons or both sides?

Poole or Christchurch branch?

Paddles work straight away, no coding required. :cool:

I didn't see which side to be honest and it's possible there were other components swapped as well I suppose? I wasn't sat near enough to see and I kind of respected his privacy as I know they sunk a lot of money into working on this solution.

Poole branch by the way.

So its finally time to move forwards with this . . . . .

after some awesome work from @Insert Coin on working out how to get this MFSW working on a T6 its finally fitted and working.. . . . . YAY !!

20190705_145930.jpg

but it wasn't plain-sailing...

As @Insert Coin had already found out, the chipset in the stock Golf MK7 MFSW button assembly wasnt compatible with the the T6 . . .

But he found a Place that could replace the "chips" in the button modules and effectively swap the chips from one MFSW to another MFSW..

moving forwards the guys have now managed to source BLANK chips and using some fancy tech have managed to get blank chips and copy the code from a stock T6 MFSW onto these . . . . .enabling the G-MK7 MFSW to work on a T6..

so after sending the guys my G-MK7 MFSW and having the work done . . . . . it was back and ready to be fitted...

First things first - disconnected the battery and "capacitive discharge" the leads.

now all was safe its time to carefully remove the upper cowling behind the steering wheel . . .

20190705_135811.jpg

with the wheel at 90degress we can now gain access to the spring clips on the rear of the airbag . .

20190705_135808.jpg

turning the wheel 180deg and popping the other airbag clip had the airbag released...

Now we needed a "M12 spline bit" for the center mounting bolt . . . (which i didn't have!)

so a quick google gave me this . . . . Toolstation @ £17

20190705_141441.jpg

once the center bolt was removed we need to mark the center-line of the wheel and the steering column. . . . by scoring a line with a stanley blade.

20190705_145056.jpg

that done it was easy swap . . . . . . or so i thought,....

after fitting the wheel and a quick test we had a load of errors . . . . .the horn didn't work and all the ACC and CC functions were disabled due to errors that could not be cleared down with Carista or VCDS!!!

a quick email to the guys later i was informed that i might have to swap over the Airbag Loom from my old Airbag to the new one . . . . .

ok lets try that then . . . . .

20190705_162056.jpg

The old and new loom were swapped . . . (and yes there some differences, the MK7 had an extra blue wire and pinned in different locations on the main plug)

but the looms swapped over ok..>> Now for another test . . . .

20190705_145724.jpg

Fitting the New Airbag with old loom back in we put it all back together and re-connected the battery . . . . . . to my joy NO-ERRORs !! - so far...

20190705_145934.jpg

next was a test drive . . . . . . and happily all the functions worked . . . . Flappy paddles too =]

so very happy with that . . .

this is what we are left with . . .

the original MFSW and Air bag . . . . and the MK7 loom.

20190705_182908.jpg

so to get my original MFWS fully working again . . . . i just need to get a new T6 MFSW Airbag loom, which is one of these . . . . (well that actually the MK7 loom due to the extra blue wire, but I've noted the part number of the stock T6 loom)

20190705_161900.jpg

so all in all its fitted and working . . .

A Massive thanks to @insertcoin for doing all the hard work.

More testing and thoughts to come . . . . .

one interesting thing to note is that the T6 MFSW has red back-lit buttons . . . .but the MK7 MFSW has white back-lit buttons . . .

ill try and get some night shots to see what this looks like.

But for now . . . . . . thats another job ticked off the list.

I'm a bit confused here. Mine was a straight swap and took less than 10 mins ?
View attachment 46617

Everything works perfectly without any errors.

It’s the adaptive cruise that throws a spanner in the works, there’s only one company able to fit a mk7 wheel with adaptive to a T6 as far as I know.

BMW, Mercedes-Benz, VW & Audi Repair & Servicing in Dorset, Wiltshire, Hampshire and Somerset - Kartechnic

Glad you got there in the end @Dellmassive, I’m still loving my wheel :cool:

It also depends what vehicle the wheel comes from, golf 7 aren’t compatible but some are (polo I think ?)

Hi everybody! I want to add my piece to this great thread. As @Insert Coin and @Dellmassive , I too have adaptive cruise in my T6. So after researching web and mostly this forum I found out that there won’t be really plug and play swapping steering wheels. I got good deal for Mk VII golf R wheel on ebay (same button layout as in mine T6). After swapping and connecting everything, buttons didn’t work. But I expected that, as I read here that it won’t work. So I found on ebay button module from polo 6N ( same wheel, but different part number and with red illumination) again with same button layout. I swapped with buttons from polo and bad news. Didn’t work either. I tried swapping airbag harnesses and same. Buttons are not working. So my only option now is to do the same as @Dellmassive and @Insert Coin have done. I tried to contact the company BMW, Mercedes-Benz, VW & Audi Repair & Servicing in Dorset, Wiltshire, Hampshire and Somerset - Kartechnic via mail but I can’t get any answer from them. If anybody has some information about their mail, please let me know. Maybe I have wrong one.
P.S.: I am from Slovenia, so please excuse me if my english isn’t perfect. Thank You in advance and kind regards!

Hi everybody! I want to add my piece to this great thread. As @Insert Coin and @Dellmassive , I too have adaptive cruise in my T6. So after researching web and mostly this forum I found out that there won’t be really plug and play swapping steering wheels. I got good deal for Mk VII golf R wheel on ebay (same button layout as in mine T6). After swapping and connecting everything, buttons didn’t work. But I expected that, as I read here that it won’t work. So I found on ebay button module from polo 6N ( same wheel, but different part number and with red illumination) again with same button layout. I swapped with buttons from polo and bad news. Didn’t work either. I tried swapping airbag harnesses and same. Buttons are not working. So my only option now is to do the same as @Dellmassive and @Insert Coin have done. I tried to contact the company BMW, Mercedes-Benz, VW & Audi Repair & Servicing in Dorset, Wiltshire, Hampshire and Somerset - Kartechnic via mail but I can’t get any answer from them. If anybody has some information about their mail, please let me know. Maybe I have wrong one.
P.S.: I am from Slovenia, so please excuse me if my english isn’t perfect. Thank You in advance and kind regards!

great info there, thank you for contributing.

try the below email address?

Enquiries@kartechnic.co.uk

FAO Kevin/ Doug
Kartechnic Ltd
53 Hatch Pond Road
Nuffield Industrial Estate
POOLE
BH17 0JZ United Kingdom

BMW, Mercedes-Benz, VW & Audi Repair & Servicing in Dorset, Wiltshire, Hampshire and Somerset - Kartechnic

great info there, thank you for contributing.

try the below email address?

Enquiries@kartechnic.co.uk

FAO Kevin/ Doug
Kartechnic Ltd
53 Hatch Pond Road
Nuffield Industrial Estate
POOLE
BH17 0JZ United Kingdom

Sorry for bringing that up again, but for some reason I can’t get any reply from them. I tried this mail You suggested couple a times and the one on their website, no response. Any ideas? I would really like to put my new golf R steering wheel to use. :)

Hello all and thanks for keeping others informed with great posts, I am now wondering if someone might be able to help as I would like to retrofit my startline euro 5 T6 with cruise control, now that in itself I seem to see is possible with the controls on the stalk and additional wiring, however I am after fitting a MFSW with the controls instead of the stalk but am not fussed if it is a standard type wheel...
Also, is there a wiring loom available to connect up to the bcm and I presume engine ecu? If so where to buy, and any other parts that might be of help knowing that I need to get.

Hello all and thanks for keeping others informed with great posts, I am now wondering if someone might be able to help as I would like to retrofit my startline euro 5 T6 with cruise control, now that in itself I seem to see is possible with the controls on the stalk and additional wiring, however I am after fitting a MFSW with the controls instead of the stalk but am not fussed if it is a standard type wheel...
Also, is there a wiring loom available to connect up to the bcm and I presume engine ecu? If so where to buy, and any other parts that might be of help knowing that I need to get.
Have a look here ---> Mfsw

Reactions: mmi
Back