Making use of replaced starter battery as Aux battery

Hi All,

Appreciate this is a topic that's done to death and not wanting to replicate threads - I've had a good look through the forum but can't find anything specific to say yes or no and the best way of undertaking my thinking.

So I'm replacing my starter battery with the Bosch S5 A13 to increase the capacity as I've converted to have a parking heater using the Thermotop. My starter battery is also almost 5 years old - but has some life left in it. Its a Varta 68ah AGM - so not the largest but I figured I would see if I could "get something for nothing" so to speak.

I have the battery feed under the passenger seat that is spare - this is the 10mm cable fused via the fuse box under the battery. So I was thinking - I could use this to power my old starter battery and run the heater/couple of 12v sockets from the battery under the passenger seat to save the risk of running the starter battery down.

Clearly the best route is B2B/DC to DC charger - but this is expensive for what I'm looking to achieve (I will look to do this in the future - but I've only just bought the van and looking to get the most without spending much!).

Its a Caravelle - so will be used as a dayvan mainly and at some point when our youngest (10 weeks old) gets a bit older we may start camping in it/with a tent again (at this point I would look to upgrade battery/charger etc.)

So what I have:

68Ah starter AGM going spare
Fused 12v feed to under passeneger seat

What I want:

Auxillary battery to run parking heater and 1-2 12v sockets to power charger/TV for kids.

Could I use a VSR for the purpose in the short term? Can I lay the starter battery on its side under the passenger seat? Any other cheap suggestions?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Yes you can re use the starter battery.

Yes, you can fit a VSR to the engine bay feed cable... but don't expect that battery to be charged very well. (I'd suggest using a VSR with IGN feed so it's only on when IGN on or engine running) (best thing to do is FIT RIGHT - PAY ONCE ! )

Starter battery on its side....,? Well AGMs are supposed to be fully sealed. But think I would like further info from Varta. Maybe post the model number so we can check the spec sheet. (a lot of internet searches show that other people have put AGM on side position)

Last edited:
More info:

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the slow reply. I've added a picture of the battery - it's a OEM Varta 68ah one. Only reason for asking about being on its side is if it will fit at normal height and I know putting on their side was an option with AGMs (or at least I thought it was).

I guess my options are:

VSR and starter battery - £50-80 cost but charging not the best.

Dc to dc charger- if I use something like the Renogy 20A £150 cost including wiring etc.

I'm put off by the need to get an ignition cable across due to it being a caravelle and new to me. There isn't much in the cost to be fair so I guess I should go for the DC to DC and get my head around the ignition feed.

Thanks for help.

20210305_083753.jpg

have a look here to find out how old that battery is:

FYI : The CTEK D250SE is a popular 20A unit that has built in solar abilities . . . . if you ever wanted to add some mobile solar at a later date . .

Last edited:
have a word with @travelvolts

he can best advise you, and get you all the kit you need plus install it too is you wish . . (hes not to far from you)

Support our trade Members :

(@travelvolts) Electrics | Travelvolts

If you're on a budget just buy a 60A ideal diode for a tenner - easy inline install with no ignition switching... better and cheaper than a split-charge relay...

Reactions: mmi
Back