Low temperature lithium battery

thanks for the link @Dilbert

WOW thats a nice update. . . . @Mick look at the changes.

v5.42 (Released officially)​

2021-06-23
Changes

Blue Smart Charger:

• Add firmware for future IP65 6V/12V model (mandatory installation upon connection):
    • First official release
  • Add re-bulk method setting (IP22 REV2 only)
  • Allow full current range on IP22 REV2 models (IP22 REV2 only)
  • Fixed demo mode for build-in battery types
  • Added explanation to recondition voltage setting
  • Fix bulk time unit in CSV history export
  • Add firmware v3.40 for rev2 models: (Optional update)
    • Update for Blue Smart IP22 Chargers REV2 only; starting production date week 24 of 2020 (serial number HQ2024nnnnn and newer). The hardware revision printed on the the product label should be “hw rev 02” or higher.
    • Support for VE.Smart networking
      • Blink status LEDs briefly once every 4 seconds to indicate VE.Smart networking is active
      • Added support for synchronized charging, allowing to parallel multiple chargers and synchronize their charge algorithms. Compatible with SmartSolar chargers, where the Blue Smart charger will become the charge master.
        • The PV power of all solar chargers is totalized by the charge master and broadcasted into the network to be displayed in VictronConnect when connected to a solar charger.
        • The battery idle voltage at sunrise, needed for aborption time calculation, is taken from the solar charge master upon master take-over. This value is continued to be broadcasted into the network for the solar chargers, to be able to continue charging if the Blue Smart Chargers are disconnected from the network.
        • Manual equalisation from the solar charger settings menu in VictronConnect will be delegated to all devices in the network by the charge master.
        • Enforce re-bulk voltage method, to prevent premature re-bulking when only the charge master is providing the full current. This setting is only enforced when the charge master has detected other chargers in the network and will continue to use the user selected method is case of stand-alone mode. The enforced setting is volatile, meaning that when the charger is restarted it will revert back to the last value the user has selected.
      • Added support for VSense; to be used for cable loss compsensation for individual network nodes
      • Added support for TSense; to be used for temperature compensation and low battery temperature cut*off, required for lithium batteries.
      • Added support for ICharge; when available, the total charge current of all chargers on the network will be used for the tail current.
      • Added support for ISense; when available, the battery current will be used for the tail current. This value is prioritized over the ICharge value. Requires a BMV or SmartShunt.
      • VE.Smart networking settings will be reset upon a “Reset to defaults” in VictronConnect.
    • Added low battery temperature cut-off
      • Requires VE.Smart networking temperature sensor, e.g. Smart Battery Sense or SmartShunt
      • When pressing the `Why is my charger off?` button in VictronConnect it will state that the charger is off due to a low battery temperature.
      • Because the charger cannot be totally switched off, the setpoints are set to lowest value possible, i.e. 12.8V and 25% * Inominal for a 12V unit.
      • Note for Victron Smart Lithium batteries, above feature is not relevant. Since then the BMS will disable the charge when the batteries are below 5°C, and also in case of cell over voltage. More clearly: its not necessary to buy a Smart Battery Sense to make sure a Phoenix Smart Charger stops charging a Victron Smart Lithium Battery below 5°C.
    • Add tail current functionality
      • When the charge current is below the threshold for 1 minute, the absorption stage is ended and the charger will switch to float/storage.
    • Add re-bulk method based on voltage; this method can be selected using the “Re-bulk method” setting in VictronConnect
      • When the charge current is below the threshold for 1 minute, the absorption stage is ended and the charger will switch to float/storage. Note that the re-bulk current setting is ignored when this method is selected.
      • The default re-bulk behavior remains unchanged, to be able to use the product as mobile charger.
    • Allow 0% recondition current
      • This fixes an issue with the VictronConnect lithium preset
      • Setting it to 0% skips the recondition stage, if enabled
    • The charge current is now adjustable over the full range, from 25*100% * Inominal
    • The recondition current is now configurable from 0-50% (0=disabled)
    • Improved temperature compensation
      • Compensate down to -20°C for bulk and absorption, instead of only 6°C. During float and storage, the compensation is only down to 6°C, as per best practises: to charge a very cold battery, increase the charge voltage; but not to “float” a battery. With this change the temperature compensation works the same as our Solar Chargers as well as Multi and Quattro inverter/chargers.
    • Add hardware check for internal temperature sensor
      • In case malfunction, the temperature derating and compensation works incorrectly
      • An error 23 will be issued in case of sensor malfunction; this is not auto-recoverable and requires a power cycle of the unit. If the error persists, the unit is broken.
    • Allow absorption time less than 1 hour (community request)
      • When adaptive charging is selected, the minimum absorption time of 30 minute is still honored. When a fixed absorption time is selected, it is possible to disable the entire absorption stage.
    • Improve bluetooth connectability with VictronConnect
  • Show hardware revision for IP22 demo products:
    • Rev2 models have different capabilities than the Rev1 ones and thus different settings
Yep I am pretty stunned by the efficiency of the synchronised 3 elements. Once again today little sun but the solar wattage was maximised again and I see from that update the charger takes control of the PV solar and optimises it.

New Battery Box with the 100ah Poweroad PRLC-100

1625992364440.png

1625992388237.png1625992409350.png

@DEH and @Mick

++++

I've been testing the PRLC-100 battery and was wondering about @DEH comments above "overcell voltage warnings" from the battery?

in nearly all of my testing the warning was triggered at the top 95-100% mark.

this was using a variety of chargers, but mainly the Victron units. . . that have a 14.2v charge in the Lifepo4 profile.

The PRLC-100 spec sheet states that 14.4v should be used (so 14.2v is perfectly fine.

testing wise, i have been using:

Portable scope in voltage logger mode,
Bm2 voltage monitor
Poweroad APP on a tablet
Victron APP on a tablet (both SMart shunt & MPPT & Charger

1626078879053.png

you can see the warning here:

1626078914327.png

we know from previous testing that the battery cuts out at 10v and has a top cut off as well.

what was no so certain (compared to other batteries) was why the warning was coming up as if it was an issue?

++++

here you can see cell#1 at 3.69v with the battery still charging @ 3.15A . .

1626079085203.png

then the warning pops up and the charge current drops to 0.0A . . .

1626079144454.png
the warning flag is set . .

1626079166012.png

but the battery voltage stays on and fine. . . . still able to delivery power to any loads . . .

1626079212537.png

so the testing shows that the battery BMS is just working normally and cutting OFF the incoming charge current, while still allowing the outgoing LOAD current. . . . which is normal.

SO . . . .

why bother with the battery warning . . if this is just normal BMS operation?

It looks to me that the system is working as designed . . . but i think that the warning can confuse matters for the end user.

i think the warning should NOT pop up during normal operation . . . but only when there is a problem outside the spec.

it looks like the APP programmers are giving us all the information . . which is nice. but maybe just do that bit in the background.

for example i dont need to know that the BMS is cutting off the charge current every day when the battery is FULL - thats just normal . . . not a fault that needs a warning.

+++

i wanted clarification . . so i reached out to Poweroad again . . .

+++

Geek Eye-Candy

1626079629369.png1626079655417.png1626079663340.png1626079673945.png1626079692658.png1626079703716.png1626079711897.png1626079731492.png

here you can see cell#1 at 3.69v with the battery still charging @ 3.15A . .

I am surprised to see such a wide variation in cell voltages. The Valance LiFePo4 battery, for example, rebalances when a cell is above 3.36V and >40mV above the lowest cell.

Would be interesting to know what the rebalancing criteria and algorithm are for this battery.

Poweroad have replied. . . .

+++++

Hi Dellmassive,

Good morning. This is *** from Poweroad.

Question-the Alam warning comes on during the charging process or at fully charged?

Charging setting: both 14.2V and 14.4V are okay. Pls setting to 14.2V to see if the cell over voltage protection will be actived or not.

Note: when the charging voltage is 14.2V, the capacity can up to 100Ah as well. Usually the initial capacity of Infinity can be around 110Ah.

Cells- We are using LFP pouch cells, the cells operating voltage is 2.50 to 3.65V. When the voltage of any cells up to 3700mV+/-20mV, the over-voltage protection willl be actived. and released at 3450mV+/-20mV.

It might be that the voltage of one cell up to 3.7V, BMS will be actived automatically and cut off charging to protect the battery from deep charging. Could you pls share us screenshorts on App when battery enter cells-voltage protection again. Thanks.

It will allowed outgoing load current when you connect the load to discharging. It will not affect the battery use.

Pls check the attached technical document, and feel free to contact me if any questions you have.

Kindest regards,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POWEROAD (XIAMEN) RENEWABLE ENERGY TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.

7/F Haiyun Building, No. 16, Haishan Road, Xiamen 361013, Fujian, China

Lithium-ion Battery: www.poweroad.com

Energy Storage System: www.poweroad-ess.com

Advanced Lead-acid Battery: www.yucell.com

++++

so they have confirmed on how the BMS works . . and have given us the documents --- Finally we now know what the BMS is fdoing

Thank you *** !!!

this is what the document shows.

cell over voltage:

3700mV+- 20mV

to that means that if any cell voltage rises above 3.68/3.72v the BMS cuts the charge current.

it will hold that state untill the cells drop to:

3.47/3.43v at which point the BMS releases the charge hold and the battery will resume charging.

1626079931255.png

1626080065756.png

so its just normal operation of the BMS . . .

i think they need to update the FW and app to remove the warning as the end user doesnt need to know that - its not a fault.

++++

we also now have the full BMS manual . . . OOOSH !!

1626080254178.png1626080269618.png1626080286429.png1626080294309.png1626080304344.png1626080311139.png1626080320566.png1626080328286.png1626080341168.png

Attachments

• PRLC100-Instruction.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
I am surprised to see such a wide variation in cell voltages. The Valance LiFePo4 battery, for example, rebalances when a cell is above 3.36V and >40mV above the lowest cell.

Would be interesting to know what the rebalancing criteria and algorithm are for this battery.
@Dilbert

we don't know the exact criteria . .

but the supplied technical document they provided gives us some insight . . .

it shows that the BMS will start top balancing when any cell reaches 3400mV +- 50mV (4x cells per battery) (4Sx*P?)

and that the turn on differential is 50mV

1626080589837.png

++++

i can only assume that as these batteries use LFP Pouch Cells that they have a slightly different absorption rates to standard 18650 cells?

maybe they can absorb faster/slower than each other creating a slightly larger cell mV gap?

+++

this guy shows on appart:

1626080911470.png1626080951242.png

Poweroad have replied. . . .

+++++

Hi Dellmassive,

Good morning. This is *** from Poweroad.

Question-the Alam warning comes on during the charging process or at fully charged?

Charging setting: both 14.2V and 14.4V are okay. Pls setting to 14.2V to see if the cell over voltage protection will be actived or not.

Note: when the charging voltage is 14.2V, the capacity can up to 100Ah as well. Usually the initial capacity of Infinity can be around 110Ah.

Cells- We are using LFP pouch cells, the cells operating voltage is 2.50 to 3.65V. When the voltage of any cells up to 3700mV+/-20mV, the over-voltage protection willl be actived. and released at 3450mV+/-20mV.

It might be that the voltage of one cell up to 3.7V, BMS will be actived automatically and cut off charging to protect the battery from deep charging. Could you pls share us screenshorts on App when battery enter cells-voltage protection again. Thanks.

It will allowed outgoing load current when you connect the load to discharging. It will not affect the battery use.

Pls check the attached technical document, and feel free to contact me if any questions you have.

Kindest regards,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

++++

so they have confirmed on how the BMS works . . and have given us the documents --- Finally we now know what the BMS is fdoing

Thank you *** !!!

this is what the document shows.

cell over voltage:

3700mV+- 20mV

to that means that if any cell voltage rises above 3.68/3.72v the BMS cuts the charge current.

it will hold that state untill the cells drop to:

3.47/3.43v at which point the BMS releases the charge hold and the battery will resume charging.

View attachment 123387

View attachment 123389

so its just normal operation of the BMS . . .

i think they need to update the FW and app to remove the warning as the end user doesnt need to know that - its not a fault.

++++

we also now have the full BMS manual . . . OOOSH !!

View attachment 123390View attachment 123391View attachment 123392View attachment 123393View attachment 123394View attachment 123395View attachment 123396View attachment 123397View attachment 123398
Good news getting a manual. Which has now set me thinking. :cool:

So my charged voltage at 13.5v in the BMV is correct and in line with the factory voltage spec with an Absorb of 14.2 in the MPPT. So all good.

The smart charger is at 14.2v I can up it to 14.4v but it all seems to be working fine.

IMG_6453.PNG

IMG_6454.PNG

IMG_6453 2.PNG

@Mick

Be cautious with this setting....

It will reset the SOC value to 100% when the battery reaches 13.5v and give you a false reading..

I got caught out with that..

I've set mine to 14.2v which is correct for the 100% SOC.

Id sugest you try the same?

Screenshot_20210712-173302_Chrome.jpg

@Mick

It will reset the SOC value to 100% when the battery reaches 13.5v and give you a false reading..

View attachment 123460
Interesting. The manual does show 13.2v-13.6v as the factory voltage with 12.8v being nominal. With the absorption charge voltage at 14.4v.
Well have a play at the weekend.

Poweroad tech have come back to us with some additional info. (we have been sharing our testing data with them)

+++

Hi Dellmassive,

Thanks for sharing the further data and opinions.

We have hold several meetings with engineer to discuss this. Yes, we will upgrade the program to resolve it. The new program will be finished about Friday, then do more tests.

I will send you more as soon as I have.

Peace,
Poweroad

+++

possible revised APP and FW update to address the pop-up Warnings that are worrying some people, which appear to be normal BMS operations..

@Mick

View attachment 123460
Below is a post from a Dutch Victron Techy. He agrees with your advice above but sets the tail current at 2%. POWEROAD absorption is 14.4. so 14.2 is spot on.

So I’ve moved mine to that now. We’ll see how it performs this weekend in readiness for my 2 week wild camp on the NC500

43BBA2CB-B5F0-4D27-B10E-64E9542C91BD.png

Below is a post from a Dutch Victron Techy. He agrees with your advice above but sets the tail current at 2%. POWEROAD absorption is 14.4. so 14.2 is spot on.

So I’ve moved mine to that now. We’ll see how it performs this weekend in readiness for my 2 week wild camp on the NC500

View attachment 123588

Let us know how you get on wild camping the NC500. We've got kids so I'd love to hear whether it's still feasible to wild camp the NC500 during school summer holidays.

@Mick

View attachment 123460
@Dellmassive another views on this. Mine is configured as they suggest and follows your thinking but the Discharge Floor is at 20%. they recommend 0% not sure I'm comfortable with that but I'm good with 10%.

here is some more background info on the PRLC-100 Poweroad.

answering a few questions and suggestions . .

Morning Dellmassive,

Sorry for my late reply. FYI.

Q: can you add sleep on/off notifications into the event record on app?
A: This is unnecessary. When the battery enter the sleep mode, the battery already switched off, so you can not connect the Bluetooth App at this moment.

Q:can you add feature when SLEEP is adjustable time via APP ? 1day, 2day, 3day, 1 week, 1month? Etc?
A: No

Q:The APP does not register ANY CURRENT bellow 1.0A . . . – why?
A: Because the PRLC-100 is mainly used for the RV, Marine to drive big power device, so we design and build BMS to detect the current between 1A and 1200A (1200A is the short circuit protection value).

So if the current below 1A, the BMS can not detect it, then the App show 0A/standy.

Usually we will recommend the customer to buy PRLR-100 with lower price for those applications where need small current (like below 1A).

Thanks & Best regards,

Tech Team

---------

here is some more background info on the PRLC-100 Poweroad.

answering a few questions and suggestions . .

Morning Dellmassive,

Sorry for my late reply. FYI.

Q: can you add sleep on/off notifications into the event record on app?
A: This is unnecessary. When the battery enter the sleep mode, the battery already switched off, so you can not connect the Bluetooth App at this moment.

Q:can you add feature when SLEEP is adjustable time via APP ? 1day, 2day, 3day, 1 week, 1month? Etc?
A: No

Q:The APP does not register ANY CURRENT bellow 1.0A . . . – why?
A: Because the PRLC-100 is mainly used for the RV, Marine to drive big power device, so we design and build BMS to detect the current between 1A and 1200A (1200A is the short circuit protection value).

So if the current below 1A, the BMS can not detect it, then the App show 0A/standy.

Usually we will recommend the customer to buy PRLR-100 with lower price for those applications where need small current (like below 1A).

Thanks & Best regards,

Tech Team

---------

The first couple of those feel like nice-to-have type features. The last one feels really poor in my opinion. Not registering below a 1amp current on a 100Ah battery is really odd. You could sit there with a 0.99A constant drain, and the battery would be ~24Ah down in a day (and dead in a week) without the BMS noticing? Alternatively, you could be running very small drain on crucial components like a tracker or dashcam when parked and the battery would go to sleep?

@t0mb0 hmm . . .

they saying look at the PRLR-100 . . .

which may have a different BMS setting . . . . But isnt LOW-TEMP. - so isnt an ideal solution.

1627472156412.png

The SLEEP thing is causing issues with the monitoring.

where its going to SLEEP due to the loads being less than 1.0A its shutting off and resetting my monitoring.

not a major issue i know . . .

this is not a normal install as the battery is sitting in a battery box and not installed on a RV/Van. . . .

but you can see the effect here on the BM2 monitor.

a fragmented Voltage plot and a constant reset of values on the Victron smart shunt. (last 15days)

++++

1627475102128.png

++++

we asked Poweroad about this, . . . . . . and maybe asked if the SLEEP time could be increased to get around the issues.

we did get a relpy:, so thank you Poweroad.

++++

Hi Dellmassive,

Thanks for the suggestions, I will forward it on the tomorrow meeting with engineer, to see if it will add the sleep mode into App.

About your questions: "why is it switching OFF and ON at different intervals? – is it sleep event?"
example- 19/07/21 - battery OFF 0000hrs till, 1300hrs then ON to 2230hrs then OFF? Voltage stable at 13.2v . . .? why?

I wonder if the battery triggered any condition of sleep mode automatically during 0000hrs~2230hrs, so it switching OFF and ON at different interval.

I guess there was a current (>1A) at 1300hrs, so the battery ON. Because in the idle state, only the charge/discharge current less 1A, battery will open 24 Hours timer and ready to sleep, however, once it detects there was a current which is over 1A during 24hrs, the timer is cleared to 0 and out of sleep mode.

B.regards,
Poweroad Tech

++++

Last edited:
on the flip side,

i asked @Mick the other day how his PRLC-100 was holding up . .?

he said he was loving it and it was performing well.

Back