Low temperature lithium battery

@JBR80 what battery is it?

The victron mppt controller will stop chrging below 5degc in lithium profile.

The vic orion will not stop charging.....
Newly purchased, not yet arrived Sterling Power LiFePO4 100ah. I'm sure the BMS will stop charging below it's lowest temp.

I'm curious about what practical benefits people are getting from buying low temp batteries.

Newly purchased, not yet arrived Sterling Power LiFePO4 100ah. I'm sure the BMS will stop charging below it's lowest temp.

I'm curious about what practical benefits people are getting from buying low temp batteries.

People do use campers for skiing, for instance, so there definitely are genuine use cases. Plus, people also use vans for UK winter, think winter mountaineering in Scotland for example.

i use my van for work all year round. . .

and use the inverter to charge drills and run tools etc . . .

during winter the battery temp can drop to -5degc.

most manufactures advice caution on fast charging below +5degc.

and Prohibit charging below 0degC

and as @t0mb0 says . . Alps, Scottish highlands etc etc.

plus the European people etc etc .

People do use campers for skiing, for instance, so there definitely are genuine use cases. Plus, people also use vans for UK winter, think winter mountaineering in Scotland for example.
So essentially, the battery can be charged/operate before the camper's brought up to livable temperature. Some juice is required to start the diesel heater, so I guess you could be snookered if you're down to zero battery in sub zero C.

@JBR80 - remember is only CHARGING that is an issue. (below 0degc)

most lifepo4 batterys are fine to DISCGARGE down to -20degc.

have a look over this (low temp covered in detail) :

@Mick

Thats a week. . . . !!

so if you want to stop the battery sleeping, fit a BM2 to the battery? - that's all that's connected to mine.

Now:

1624137960900.png1624137969492.png1624137981404.png1624137991596.png1624137998772.png1624138007324.png1624138014322.png1624138021545.png1624138027974.png1624138034695.png

++++

to test the point ill disconnect the BM2 now and see what happens over the next 24/48/72 hrs . . . . . .

Reactions: mmi
@Mick

After the battery test being awake for 7days.....

I removed the BM2...last night..... i just checked the battery... guess what.

Its sleeping !!!! (That proves that the bm2 was keeping it awake)

10mins ago.
20210620_104006.jpg

So i added a multimeter.... just the 6v is monitor voltage... still sleeping.

20210620_104203.jpg

I tried the APP..... no conection.

Screenshot_20210620-104047_Poweroad.jpg

I attached a clamp power meter.... no change.

I touched on the BM2 and the battery come to life.....

20210620_104406.jpg

That tells me that the battery is monitoring the power in or out over a 12hr , 24hr period....... if no power flow it will self sleep shutting off power to the terminals.

But a BM2 in testing will beep it alive....

That would mean the the BMV712 is super low powered and below the point that the battery will reset the power usesage timer.

So if you want it to stay awake all the time and keep the bmv712 powered.... either fit a BM2 or try leaving ur solar charger conected?

I use my van to ski in. In December the temperature dropped to -12c outside and the van was -5c -ish inside. One night my AGM just failed and we woke up bloody freezing when the diesel heater didn't kick in.

So this will tick all my boxes cos sometimes we have to get in the van and drive to a lift and that was always an issue with a LifePO4 battery in some of the temps I experience in Austria and Slovenia.. Suggestions made were to buy a water tank heater pad with a built in thermostat and wrap it around the battery. As yer temp drops it'll heat up the battery. But that is just to much pfaff.

This way the BMS will monitor the temp, switch on the inbuilt temp mat and the bluetooth tell me when heat protection has kicked in.

Last edited:
@Mick

Thats a week. . . . !!

so if you want to stop the battery sleeping, fit a BM2 to the battery? - that's all that's connected to mine.

Now:

++++

to test the point ill disconnect the BM2 now and see what happens over the next 24/48/72 hrs . . . . . .
I've connected a iPhone plug to the inverter. It's drawing 0.4-0.5a and keeping it awake. It lost 6% overnight.

I've connected a iPhone plug to the inverter. It's drawing 0.4-0.5a and keeping it awake. It lost 6% overnight.
what inverter @Mick ?

inverters are fairly power hungry . . . oven when on standby.

looks like the BM2 works well . . . (I've got around 10 of them, not had a faulty one yet)

normally when i cant connect to a BM2 its because its already connected to a second device within BT range . . ie a second phone, or a other tablet etc. . . .

its always a right pain trying to hunt down the device that its connected too. (suppose its my fault for having all this tech running on so many different devices !!)

1624212322594.png

I've sent an email to POWEROAD tech to see if they can clarify the sleep strategy on the . . ..

POWEROAD PRLC-100 - Going to SLEEP after 24hrs?

and asked if the sleep timer can be adjusted via the APP . . ?

lets see if they reply.

Victron 12/375. I have had a BM2 for 4 years but I don't really trust it TBH. It keeps showing my started battery at very low percentage and there is nothing wrong with it.

I've sent an email to POWEROAD tech to see if they can clarify the sleep strategy on the . . ..

POWEROAD PRLC-100 - Going to SLEEP after 24hrs?

and asked if the sleep timer can be adjusted via the APP . . ?

lets see if they reply.
I've written to them 3 times now and no reply.

Victron 12/375. I have had a BM2 for 4 years but I don't really trust it TBH. It keeps showing my started battery at very low percentage and there is nothing wrong with it.
Yeh.. i ignore the percentage as it based on SLA battery. Tech..

But the voltage logger side of things tells you all you need to know.

I have the reply from Poweroad....

Dear Dellmassive,

Thank you very much for choosing Poweroad batteries and has good experience.

I'm Jason who will be in charge of your inquiry.

The reason why we design the sleep mode is that reduce the energy consumption when the batteries in idle.

There are three ways to enter the sleep mode:
MethodIntroduction
1 Timed sleepIn idel state, if there is no charge/discharge current(or the current is lower 1A), start a 24-hour timer and go to sleep after 24 hours.
(But if BMS detects the current over 1A during the 24 hours, the timer will be cleared to 0 and not sleep)
2 Over-discahrgeWhen the voltage of any battery is lower than the over-discharge protection value for 3 minutes, it will automatically sleep to reduce energy consumption and prevent deep over-discharge
3 Button Long press button for 2S to enter sleep mode

And three ways to wake up the batteries:
Method Introduction
1 Charging In idel state, connect the charger to charge battery( the voltage should more than 1.2V)
2 Discharging Connecting the load to activated the BMS(the internal resistance of load should be less than 5kΩ)
3Button Press button

Meet any condition can sleep or wake up the batteries.

Hope above info will be helpful for your review.

Peace,
Jason

Jason Lee Sales Representative

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the reply from Poweroad....

Dear Dellmassive,

Thank you very much for choosing Poweroad batteries and has good experience.

I'm Jason who will be in charge of your inquiry.

The reason why we design the sleep mode is that reduce the energy consumption when the batteries in idle.

There are three ways to enter the sleep mode:
MethodIntroduction
1Timed sleepIn idel state, if there is no charge/discharge current(or the current is lower 1A), start a 24-hour timer and go to sleep after 24 hours.
(But if BMS detects the current over 1A during the 24 hours, the timer will be cleared to 0 and not sleep)
2Over-discahrgeWhen the voltage of any battery is lower than the over-discharge protection value for 3 minutes, it will automatically sleep to reduce energy consumption and prevent deep over-discharge
3ButtonLong press button for 2S to enter sleep mode

And three ways to wake up the batteries:
MethodIntroduction
1ChargingIn idel state, connect the charger to charge battery( the voltage should more than 1.2V)
2DischargingConnecting the load to activated the BMS(the internal resistance of load should be less than 5kΩ)
3ButtonPress button

Meet any condition can sleep or wake up the batteries.

Hope above info will be helpful for your review.

Peace,
Jason

Jason Lee Sales Representative

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting reply. You’d think that would’ve out that in the manual.
I’ve had a 0.5a-0.6a current running for 48 hours and it hasn’t gone to sleep.
I’ll attach that to the PDF manual

EDIT: It must have gone to sleep at some point cos the BMV is not showing a percentage

Last edited:
They saying switching the power on will wake it...

Did you try turning lights on?

Maybe fitting a BM2 is an easy fix for your scenario.?

@JBR80 - remember is only CHARGING that is an issue. (below 0degc)

most lifepo4 batterys are fine to DISCGARGE down to -20degc.

have a look over this (low temp covered in detail) :

I have just had a response from Sterling power to state that the BMS will stop charging below 0C, and re-engage charging when the temperature is 5C. It also prevents use at -20C and re-engages use at -15C.

I have just had a response from Sterling power to state that the BMS will stop charging below 0C, and re-engage charging when the temperature is 5C. It also prevents use at -20C and re-engages use at -15C.
Thats about standard. The BMS safety feature is what you need. If you'll need to get a charge into it when it's cold then warming the battery is an answer. This is one answer that'll do it. Sit the battery on this or use 2 wrapped around it. Job done.

Thats about standard. The BMS safety feature is what you need. If you'll need to get a charge into it when it's cold then warming the battery is an answer. This is one answer that'll do it. Sit the battery on this or use 2 wrapped around it. Job done.

Thanks for the link to this, I'll save it if I need it down the line. For now I'm going to see how I get on with heating the van with the diesel air heater before trips in the cold.

Back