What load rating are the standard steel 18” x8J wheel. And where can you buy them from?
I dont think there is a “standard” 18” steel as such… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

VW do do an Amarok 18” steel though which I suppose you could regard as standard in that it’s OEM.
Or JBW do a nice 18” steel called the ROK. Good value.
Slightly more expensive Stitches & Steel do a v similar one (just back in stock too).
(You should be able to find all these easily enough now with those key words. Sorry, busy, otherwise I’d have given you the links too!)

Load rating? They’ll all cope with a T32 and then some. All over 1,000kg I think. IIRC the JBW ROK is rated at 1,250kg!

I dont think there is a “standard” 18” steel as such… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

VW do do an Amarok 18” steel though which I suppose you could regard as standard in that it’s OEM.
Or JBW do a nice 18” steel called the ROK. Good value.
Slightly more expensive Stitches & Steel do a v similar one (just back in stock too).
(You should be able to find all these easily enough now with those key words. Sorry, busy, otherwise I’d have given you the links too!)

Load rating? They’ll all cope with a T32 and then some. All over 1,000kg I think. IIRC the JBW ROK is rated at 1,250kg!
Thanks !
Yes I’ve been looking at the S+S The Steel.
But saw somebody selling theirs on eBay, and saying only load rated to 950kg.
I’m in touch with S+S, they digging out the certificate of conformatity for me.

The JBW ROK are only load rated at 955Kg as per their specifications on website.
I have a California Ocean so need certificate for wheels for insurance for 1250Kg as per the original specifications.
Under rated wheels equals no payout on potentially £75k of vehicle.
Not worth it, for £500 of wheels.

What’s Amarok load rated at. ?
I need to find out.
But its payload is 1 tonne.
And weighs about 2tonne.
So those wheels should be ok

Thanks !
Yes I’ve been looking at the S+S The Steel.
But saw somebody selling theirs on eBay, and saying only load rated to 950kg.
I’m in touch with S+S, they digging out the certificate of conformatity for me.

The JBW ROK are only load rated at 955Kg as per their specifications on website.
I have a California Ocean so need certificate for wheels for insurance for 1250Kg as per the original specifications.
Under rated wheels equals no payout on potentially £75k of vehicle.
Not worth it, for £500 of wheels.

What’s Amarok load rated at. ?
I need to find out.
But its payload is 1 tonne.
And weighs about 2tonne.
So those wheels should be ok
are you sure you need 1250kg per wheel? happy to be wrong but that sounds awefully high as the T32 is 860kg per wheel?

are you sure you need 1250kg per wheel? happy to be wrong but that sounds awefully high as the T32 is 860kg per wheel?
It’s 1700kg for an axel.
Apologies.
I was thinking it’s got to be 1250 a wheel.
It’s 1000kg load rating.
So 950 minimum a wheel.
So 950 x2 is 1900 kg so above the spec of 1700kg per axel.

It’s 1700kg for an axel.
Apologies.
I was thinking it’s got to be 1250 a wheel.
It’s 1000kg load rating.
So 950 minimum a wheel.
So 950 x2 is 1900 kg so above the spec of 1700kg per axel.
This still sounds confused I’m afraid…?
Maybe there’s something different about your insurance but this is odd… because your wheels would be massively over-rated vs your axle (and everything else such as brakes) so pointless (or at least a huge safety margin).

The standard approach is to take your (greatest/rear) axle weight, and divide by two to get your wheel load rating (and that can be converted to a minimum tyre load rating).
Eg mine’s a T32 and its rear axle is 1720kg so I need wheels > 860kg load rating.
And with your 1700kg axle (although that doesn't match any of the standard VW T6/6.1 load types ie T28/T30/32 - but maybe the California is special!) you should need wheels > 850kg.

But maybe the California as standard is fitted with wheeis with an OTT load rating.
And maybe your insurance is just using that as standard and not letting you deviate (despite logic above)…?

Having said all that the quote from JBW for the ROKs clearly states a load rating of 1,200kg.

PS questions:
- are you SURE your insurance needs your wheels to be as original WHEEL load rating?
- OR does the insurance need your wheels to meet your AXLE load rating (which I’ve set out above)?
- what is that WHEEL load rating (if the answer to the first question is yes)?

Your statement above about 100kg and therefore “ 950 minimum a wheel“ just sounds confused I’m afraid!

Last edited:
Back