Amarok Steels - Tyres

SymeT6

VIP Member
Hi All

I apologise in advance for the thread but I feel like I am going around in circles reading previous threads and other online information.

I have just purchased a set of Amarok steels (non banded) for my T30 Kombi and these are currently being stripped and powder coated. I have been trying to find some information on the best tyre set up but to say I am confused would be an understatement. I've seen threads stating 235/50 are ideal but also many seem to fit 255/50. I've also seen 225/45 fitted which I am guessing are not correctly load rated?

I'm on a set of coilovers (currently a cheap Prosport set that came on the van which I will be looking to change in the future) and will be looking to drop to about 60mm with the Amaroks on. Has anyone got any recommendations?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Syme

Hi All

I apologise in advance for the thread but I feel like I am going around in circles reading previous threads and other online information.

I have just purchased a set of Amarok steels (non banded) for my T30 Kombi and these are currently being stripped and powder coated. I have been trying to find some information on the best tyre set up but to say I am confused would be an understatement. I've seen threads stating 235/50 are ideal but also many seem to fit 255/50. I've also seen 225/45 fitted which I am guessing are not correctly load rated?

I'm on a set of coilovers (currently a cheap Prosport set that came on the van which I will be looking to change in the future) and will be looking to drop to about 60mm with the Amaroks on. Has anyone got any recommendations?

TIA
Syme

@SymeT6 use the link above to look at the equivalency table for your wheels. Standard Amarok’s are 7.5” wide if I’m right….

Thanks @T6ARF I have looked at the table previously and see that 235 seems to be the maximum recommended width which is what throws me when I see 255s fitted by many. Personally I think the 245/45 options looks the best, aesthetically but these aren't appropriately load rated so I'm guessing people like to live on the edge a little whilst running these

It all depends on the look/style you’re trying to achieve…. where have you seen the 255/50 tyre size…. are they on more of a swamper or all terrain tyre setup??

It all depends on the look/style you’re trying to achieve…. where have you seen the 255/50 tyre size…. are they on more of a swamper or all terrain tyre setup??
There's plenty mentioned on the forum but I suspect it's to achieve the load rating. I was concerned about the 255 wide tyre with a 60mm drop.

I personally wouldn’t fit a 255 tyre on a 7.5” rim…. I’ve previously run banded steels (Amarok’s) and for me the 255 on a 8.5” was too wide.

Hi All

TIA
Syme
235 55 18 are perfect. I've run 3 sets and never an issue of any kind.

235 55 18 are perfect. I've run 3 sets and never an issue of any kind.

I was just looking at the threads on the same subject and came across a much old post of yours talking about 235/55 and indeed 235/60 with a couple of images of a grey and white van - I assume the white one was running the 60 profile? I think the 60 looked more pleasing to the eye (I'm also on standard T32 suspension) as it fills the arch more, but hearing that you've perhaps moved away and stuck to 55 is interesting - any reason why? Are you still on standard suspension? Ta.

Here's the older thread: 255 55 18 - about to order but this forum has got me worried!!

I was just looking at the threads on the same subject and came across a much old post of yours talking about 235/55 and indeed 235/60 with a couple of images of a grey and white van - I assume the white one was running the 60 profile? I think the 60 looked more pleasing to the eye (I'm also on standard T32 suspension) as it fills the arch more, but hearing that you've perhaps moved away and stuck to 55 is interesting - any reason why? Are you still on standard suspension? Ta.

Here's the older thread: 255 55 18 - about to order but this forum has got me worried!!
Hi there @Gunship. The 60s were ok but did actually rub slightly on the front if the suspension was compressed and on full lock. I drive off road and do this situation became common. The 55s are perfect. Still running them now and about to put my 2nd set onto the grey van.

Back