Lithium LifePo4 12v Batteries - Time For An Upgrade?

I'm looking to do this soon – just ordered the bits to make up a cable. Is there anything in particular I need to watch out for settings wise?
The Bootcamp disc partition should be Mac OS Extended format and not Windows NT during setup.

Heads-up for Valance XP owners looking to make a USB cable to talk to the battery – please note:

Unfortunately, the AMP Superseal connector set posted earlier in this thread doesn't contain the 5 way/pin required to hook up to the battery – or at least my set doesn't: Waterproof Electrical Wire Connector, 1 2 3 4 5 6 Pin Car Motorcycle Electrical Wire Connector Terminal Assortment Box Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

It has 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 way, but not a 5 – go figure? This is misleading as the product title on Amazon (see above) does state '1,2,3,4,5,6 Pin...

Cheers

I’ve bought these

@Dellmassive could you please advise if my existing battery charger is suitable for charging the Valence U27-12XP.
It’s a Elecsol Auto Multi-stage, model ABC-1210M.
Thanks
From what I was reading in an earlier post the Elecsol charger (above) meets the voltage requirements but it only shows one absorption process, not two absorptions as required.
Can anybody clarify, out of my depth on this one

Last edited:
Just fitted a reasonably priced monitor, looks like a copy of the renogy one but half the price, came with no instructions.

IMG_20200916_133855.jpg

IMG_20200916_133900.jpg

IMG_20200916_133940.jpg

@Dellmassive could you please advise if my existing battery charger is suitable for charging the Valence U27-12XP.
It’s a Elecsol Auto Multi-stage, model ABC-1210M.
Thanks
From what I was reading in an earlier post the Elecsol charger (above) meets the voltage requirements but it only shows one absorption process, not two absorptions as required.
Can anybody clarify, out of my depth on this one

the spec sheet of your charger shows,

10A 14.5v absorbtion and 13.4v float.

1600270558870.png

and the battery spec sheet says :

14.6v charge voltage,
13.8v - 14.6v float charge
<72A CCCV in amps.

Recommended Charge CCCV≤ 72 A to 14.6 V

1600270887447.png

so 14.5v +/- 0.2 will charge the battery, but possibly not fully and as quickly . . . (I've got away with 14.2v on the Victron chargers and it been ok)

and at 10A it will be running flat out and probably get hot. . . .

so id say give it a go for now, but look at getting a more modern EHU charger that states Lithium Profile and is capable of reaching 14.6v at the max Amps without getting hot.

look at the branded options like Victron.

also Lithium's just have two charge stages . . . Bulk/Absorb and float.

They will suck in as much Amps as you can throw at them (up to the rated max, for the valence its 72Amps), untill the voltage rises to 14.6v . . .

at that point when the voltage is around 14.6v and the battery is drawing less than 1Amp its classed as charged.

this is when the charger should drop to float mode 13.8v - 14.6v float charge to maintain the voltage.

once the charger is removed the battery rest voltage will be around 13.6v ish . . .

Just fitted a reasonably priced monitor, looks like a copy of the renogy one but half the price, came with no instructions.

View attachment 85277

View attachment 85278

View attachment 85279

those ground cables look very thin?

The grounds should be the thickest of the whole system and be capable of carrying the MAX current form ALL your loads at once . . .

so it should be as thick (or thicker) than all the combined red cables you have coming off the red battery plus post.

1600271710837.png

have a look at deaks as a comparison . . . .

1600271840901.png

those ground cables look very thin?

The grounds should be the thickest of the whole system and be capable of carrying the MAX current form ALL your loads at once . . .

so it should be as thick (or thicker) than all the combined red cables you have coming off the red battery plus post.

View attachment 85291

have a look at deaks as a comparison . . . .

View attachment 85292

They're the cables going to my Sargent unit installed by the conversion company 3 years ago they do look a bit thin but to be fair I only run a fridge, lights and USB sockets, ran everything on full last wknd and nothing got warm so think It should be ok

They're the cables going to my Sargent unit installed by the conversion company 3 years ago they do look a bit thin but to be fair I only run a fridge, lights and USB sockets, ran everything on full last wknd and nothing got warm so think It should be ok
gotcha,

id replace the main ground battery to Shunt and Shunt to ground cable with a nice beefy one, (for future proofing)

Then maybe fit a ground bus bar for the other loose grounds,

the main power and main grounds are the most important cables of the system.

just been in contact with the seller . . .

due to the high demand of these Lifepo4 batteries.

They are releasing another 20 units for sale. . .

so if your thinking of Lithium upgrade in the future you can grab one now at a great price =]

its looking with most have under 50 charge/discharge cycles . . and over 93% capacity

*-*-*---

1600273838510.png

gotcha,

id replace the main ground battery to Shunt and Shunt to ground cable with a nice beefy one, (for future proofing)

Then maybe fit a ground bus bar for the other loose grounds,

the main power and main grounds are the most important cables of the system.

Will do is 10mm enough? have looked at bus bars just struggling for space and could do with some that come straight off the terminals, found a few but nothing that looks perfect

Will do is 10mm enough? have looked at bus bars just struggling for space and could do with some that come straight off the terminals, found a few but nothing that looks perfect

10mm2 is rated for 70A . . .

1600274444436.png

10mm2 is rated for 70A . . .

View attachment 85295

Nice one i bet i only pull 15 amps at most, looks about 6mm thats on now.

Your new battery shunt meter tells you what amps your drawing or charging at....?

Screenshot_20200916-175844_Samsung capture.jpg

The Bootcamp disc partition should be Mac OS Extended format and not Windows NT during setup.
UPDATE: Forget Bootcamp, Windows 8 had kernel security failures which didn’t allow Windows to run without constant re-starts.
Instead an Apple Store app called WinOnX 64 was installed on the Macbook Pro on Mac OS. I don’t have the battery to connect to yet but at least the software runs.
@ched

UPDATE: Forget Bootcamp, Windows 8 had kernel security failures which didn’t allow Windows to run without constant re-starts.
Instead an Apple Store app called WinOnX 64 was installed on the Macbook Pro on Mac OS. I don’t have the battery to connect to yet but at least the software runs.
@ched

Thanks @DXX - that looks like a decent solution. Certainly avoids the need to buy a copy of Windows which is great. Can you please report back when your battery arrives, that the Valence software links up ok with the battery using WinOnX. Cheers

just stick a cheap temp monitor on the battery . . . . (to see if you ever get near 0degc battery temp)

like these . . . £13 and a free APP. ( i got 3 of these ones now)

1600517376084.png

i think i need to split this lot up,

as so many now have these batteries, i separate out a new thread just for these . . . .
andleave this thread for generic lithium, lifpo4 info . . .

Back