Lithium LifePo4 12v Batteries - Time For An Upgrade?

what DC-DC charger are you looking at?

and what EHU charger are you looking at?

@Dellmassive I've ordered a Renogy 50 Amp with built in MPPT and charge profiles for all battery types. Reason being down the line when I got solar the Renogy will prioritise that if there’s sun at max of 25 amp charging current. The 50 Amp unit is also compatible with their BT-2 monitoring app. I’m planning 110 Amp cabling up to the draw side fuse box of the battery setup. I’ll be 100% off grid with no EHU...so fast charge is important.

Im now wondering if I should replace it for the 30Amp charger or if this matters?

im currently trying to decide on160 ah AGM or 80-100 Lithium. My concerns are max charging Amps with the Lithium, as everything else is taken care of by the Renogy charger including the low temp shutoff.

Last edited:
same as me . . . I've got the 50A DC-DC MPPT. and the BT-2 (but not fitted it yet.)

its a great charger . . . so keep it.

just fit decent beefy cables that can handle the current . . . (i was using 50A Anderson connectors for it, which is fine on the AGM, but when the ifePO4 was in they started to get hot, easy fix though . . . just swap the anserdon conectors out for MIDI fuse that have proper bolt connections)

If you can afford to get Lithium now, then do it. They are so much better performing that any AGM setup.

or just cable it out now for a future lIfepo4 battery swap. and fit the cheaper AGM. now and fit lithium later

but remeber you need 2x AGMS for the same capacity as 1x Lifpo4.

and if you are going 100% offgrid all the time, then idsay going lithium at the start might be a better option.

@Dellmassive Some interesting info I found out from Renogy when speaking to them about Max Charging Current, was with their 50A DC-DC MPPT and the BT-2 you can use the Renogy DC Home App and change the Charge Current settings for the charger. I think this is really useful.

I decided to go with a AGM setup for now (2 x 90Ah under passenger bench), but if i wanted to upgrade to Lithium in the future and the battery had a Max Charge Current under the 50 Amps of my Renogy (i'm seeing this with a lot if LifePo4 batteries with an Ah under 100) then I can set the charger up to suit the battery.

* New Product *

Thanks to @DEH for this one =]

original post: https://www.t6forum.com/threads/low-temperature-lithium-battery.24971/

POWEROAD LINC INFI Lifepo4 12v 100AH (BMS BT)

1612353597227.png

Description

LINC INFI is the 12V Lithium battery, is backed by the best quality standards.

Thanks to our deep know-how in battery technology, the capacity of LINC INFI can be boosted by connecting 4 of them in parallel and the voltage can be increased to 48V with 4 batteries in serial connection, which is flexible for Lithium battery DIY.

What’s more, with built-in Bluetooth, battery status of SOC, voltage, and etc., can be easily monitored through POWEROAD App in your mobile phone. Now the APP is available for both iOS system and Android system.

With as high as 150A continuous discharge current, more high-power devices can be driven by our battery. For example, the Lithium battery is perfect for RVs, marines, solar systems, low speed electric vehicles and more.

Key Features

● 12V to 48V flexible battery system of boosted capacity for powering various applications

● Built-in Bluetooth for easily monitoring SOC, SOH and more via APP

● 150A high output current for driving high-power devices

● Cost saving with detachable upper cover and replaceable BMS

● Self-developed BMS for extending battery life and ensuring battery safety

● Sleep mode for reducing energy consumption and prolonging the shelf life

● Own mold with thicker and stronger materials for durability

● Dual terminal design for easier installation and better heat dissipation

● IP54 protection level for ensuring battery remains unaffected by water under specified conditions

● Compact size for direct drop-in replacement and easy installation even in limited space

1612353619207.png
1612353635205.png

* new product *

Thanks to @DEH for this one =]

original post: https://www.t6forum.com/threads/low-temperature-lithium-battery.24971/

SUBZERO version of the above - (with built in heater)

Charge Temperature Range-20°C ~ +45°C

12V LINC INFI Low Temperature Lithium Battery

1612353691497.png

Description

The LINC INFI Low Temperature Lithium Battery is specially designed with heating function that can be charged at temperature down to -20°C. The process of heating and charging is automatically controlled by the BMS embedded in the battery. The operation of our low temperature battery is exactly the same as our other Lithium-ion batteries.

It takes about 40 minutes to heat from -20°C to +5°C. Once the battery temperature reaches +5°C, the charging starts immediately. And when the temperature rises to +10°C, the heating stops while charging continues, which means our LINC INFI Low Temperature Lithium Battery is the ideal battery for cold weather.

Besides, the LINC INFI Low Temperature Lithium Battery presents the same quality, performance and dimensions with our 12V LINC INFI LiFePO4 Rechargeable Battery. Direct replacement is possible.

Key Features

● Can be charged at temperature down to -20°C for cold weather use

● Same quality, performance and dimensions as other Lithium batteries for direct drop-in replacement

● 12V to 48V flexible battery system of boosted capacity for powering various applications

● The battery status like SOC, SOH and more can be monitored via APP

● 150A high output current for driving high-power devices

● Detachable upper cover and replaceable BMS design can reduce the cost of maintenance

● Embedded BMS can prolong battery life and guarantee battery safety

● Sleep mode for reducing energy consumption and prolonging the shelf life

● Dual terminal design for easier installation and better heat dissipation

● IP54 protection level for ensuring battery remains unaffected by water under specified conditions

● Compact size ensures easy installation even in limited space

1612353719559.png

Last edited:
* NEW PRODUCT *

POWEROAD (basic version) (BMS but no BT)

12V LINC BASE LiFePO4 Rechargeable Battery

1612354055777.png

Description

LINC BASE series is our first-generation battery with Lead acid battery casing. It is a family of 12V Lithium battery packs from 7Ah to 200Ah, which offers a drop-in solution to replace Lead acid battery for applications like RVs, marines, solar systems, low speed vehicles and more.

Key Features

LINC BASE series is the Lithium battery that can be widely used for deep cycle applications with more power and less weight than traditional Lead acid batteries as well as below features.

● Long cycle life: 10 times of Lead acid battery’s cycle life

● More usable capacity: up to 100% usable energy

● Fast charging: 10 times faster than Lead acid battery

● Easy installation: drop-in replacement for Lead acid battery

● Low self-discharge: <2% per month

● Compatible with AGM battery chargers

● Increase flexibility: up to 4 batteries connected in series

● Built-in BMS ensuring battery safety and efficient operation

1612354074309.png

1612354094359.png

Are we all using the general LIFEPO4 charging profile for the valence battery? or has anyone found custom settings to work better? I've only charged mine twice so not really had chance to play about, just fitted a microwave and a 2000w renogy inverter which has an AC passthrough for when the vans on hookup made the install far simpler, solar next

With the Victron chargers, you can tweek the default charge profile to suit your install.

There's a separate thread for the Valence battery's too:

We done some Victron Charger tweeking over here . . .

we was using ONE 240v charger connected to the starter battery. . . . then watching the AUX battery get charged via the DC-DC charger in the van.

we had some teething trouble (charger going in float/storage mode that cut off the DC-DC before the AUX battery was full) that was resolved but tweeking the Victron Charge profile - +1 for Victron =]

1612523010216.png.

Last edited:
I’m going to have to tweak the profile of my 15A Victron mains charger, it’s going into storage mode before my Valence is even at 60%!

I don’t know if this is a daft idea or it’s been mentioned before and works..... but if you configure your b2b charger not to charge above 80% State of charge and your battery sits above that with no drain on it.....it will not charge if it’s freezing outside. Once it’s warm weather again you alter the B2B charger back to 100% state of charge, it will carry on as normal. ?

Sorry wrong thread!

Last edited:
well it looks like its finally happened for me . . . . . the Van battery has hit 0degC

1612733750720.png1612733764093.png

I've currently got the AGM extreme in the van . . . so no issues atm.

but for the Lithium people that are interested in sub zero temperature and charging . . . . there's a nice side thread that building traction started by @DEH

** Low temperature lithium battery **

For those of you who maybe familiar with Gadget Jon on YouTube . . . . or Now "John & Mandy On Tour"

may have noticed that they have decided to go Lithium . . .again.

and use decent Victron MPPT & Orion DC-DC kit instead of the old VSR kit like before.

anyway this thread is about batteries . . . so here is their choice . .

1612734625103.png

they have gone with:

Polinvel Novel BT 100A 12v Lifepo4 (two of them)

1612734809208.png

LiFePO4 battery Bluetooth Novel Series 12V 100Ah
Bluetooth_jpg.jpg

Novel Series smart lithium battery with Bluetooth communication function, through Android and IOS APP, users can easily monitor one or more batteries working status on a smart phone. Main Applications are for RV, Motorhome, Marine, Boat, Solar System etc.

◆Up to 8 x Longer life compare to lead acid battery

◆ Up to 60% weight saving compared to AGM

◆ 100% usable capacity

◆ More energy with 1/3 smaller size

◆ Less than 3% self discharging per month

◆ Built in safety protection

◆ Zero maintenance

◆ Easy installation

◆ Eco-friendly

◆ Quality guaranteed

When Out of stock, please contact us for current delivery time:

FEATURES

Novel series rechargeable lithium battery using lifepo4 battery cells with more advantages as following:

● High energy density

● Low self discharge

● Light weight, small size

● Long cycle life

● No memory effect

● High discharge rate

● Pollution-free

● High working voltage for single battery cell

● With short-circuit protection function, safe and reliable

● Good consistency at voltage, capacity, resistance and platform time

● Quality and security guaranteed with CE approval

● The lifepo4 battery pack is widely used for golf carts, electric bike, electric wheelchair, electric scooter, emergency light etc.

INTERNAL STRUCTURE

Every detail of the Novel series lithium battery pack to assure you get a safer and more durable battery.

Aluminium Shell Prismatic Battery Cells with Higher Capacity. Screw Fastening Connection by Metal Straps

Built-in BMS Mounted on Side of Battery Structure, White Rubber Sheet Added On Bottom as a Cushion to Battery

BLUETOOTH

The lithium battery pack bluetooth function can monitor the following status from smart phone:

● Battery pack voltage

● Battery pack draw current

● Battery charge state

● Battery discharge state

● Battery cycles

● Battery temperature

● Designed capacity

● Remaining capacity

● Advanced Cell Voltage display

App display screens:iFePo4_Novel_Bluetooth_Appsummaryscreen640_480x480.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS

ItemsParameter
Battery TypeLiFePO4
Nominal Voltage12.8V
Nominal Capacity100Ah
Energy1.28KWh
Internal Resistance≤20mΩ
Series & Parallel Applicationup to 4 series 4 parallel connected application
Limited Charge Voltage14.6±0.2V
Floating Charge Voltage13.8±0.2V
Charge MethodCC/CV
Discharge Cut-off Voltage10.0V
Standard Charge Current60A
Max. Charge Current80A
Standard Continuous Discharge Current80A
Max. Continuous Discharge Current (<30min)100A
Pulse Discharge Current (<3s)200~400A
Cycle Life> 2000 cycles
DimensionLength: 318±2mm
Width: 165±2mm
Height: 215±2mm
Weight12.4±0.2Kg
Operation Temperature RangeCharge: 0~45℃;
Discharge: -20~60℃
Recommended operating temperature: 15℃~35℃
Self-Discharge RateResidual capacity: ≤3%/month; ≤15%/years
Reversible capacity: ≤1.5%/month; ≤8%/years
Storage Temperature & Humidity RangeLess than 1 month: -20℃~35℃, 45%RH~75%RH
Less than 3 months: -10℃~35℃, 45%RH~75%RH
Recommended storage environment: 15℃~35℃,45%RH~75%RH
PERFORMANCE

ItemsParameterTesting Condition
Rated Capacity100AhRest for 1 hour after fully charged, then discharge with 0.33C current until the battery reaches the discharge cutoff voltage. Repeat above process for three times, if the discharge time is not less than 120 minutes, you can stop and define the Discharging current*time value (Ah) as battery capacity.
Minimum Capacity95Ah
Internal resistance≤20mΩ50% battery SOC state frequency of 1 KHZ ac resistance tester
Cycle life (DOD100%)≥2000cycleDischarge with the current of 0.33C until it can’t discharge, and then rest it for 1h. Charge the battery following CC(0.33C)/CV(14.6V) mode to full capacity, and then rest it for 1h. Repeat above process until full charged capacity is no more than 80% of normal value. Accumulated times is defined as cycle life.
Discharge Temperature Characteristics-20℃≥70%At 25±5℃ discharge the battery with the current of 0.33C to the cut-off voltage and record charge capacity. Store the battery at various temperatures for 2h and discharge the battery with 0.33C to the cut-off voltage.
-0℃≥80%
25℃≥100%
55℃≥95%
Charge Retention AbilityResidual capacity ≥80%Charge the battery to full capacity and store it for 28days, and then discharge it with 0.33C to the cut-off voltage.
Recovery capacity ≥90%
Communication FunctionBluetoothThrough APP, user can read the battery system information such as voltage, current, SOC, temperature and so on.
BMS

The lithium batteries are supplied with Battery Management System that can monitor and optimize each single cell during charge and discharge, to protect the battery pack from damage against over-charge, over-discharge, short circuit. The BMS helps to ensure safe and accurate running.

ItemsContentSpecification
Over ChargeOver-charge protection for each cell3.9±0.03V
Over-charge release for each cell3.60±0.05V
Over-charge release methodUnder the release voltage
Over DischargeOver-discharge protection for each cell2.0±0.05V
Over-discharge release for each cell2.5±0.05V
Over-discharge release methodCharge to recovery
Over CurrentOver discharge current protection300A~500A
Protection delay time50ms~200ms
Over current release methodDelay about 30S after recovery
Short CircuitDo not short-circuit the electrodesDesigned for 500A~750A/500us
Battery TemperatureCharge over temperatureProtection @ 65±5℃
Release @ 50±5℃
Discharge over temperatureProtection @ 65±5℃
Release @ 50±5℃
MOSFET over temperatureProtection @ 103±10℃
Release @ 75±10℃

Quality standards:

CE marked tested to EU Council Directive 2014/30/EU Electromagnetic Compatibility

Test std. EN 61000-6-3: 2007+A1: 2011 EN 61000-6-1: 2007.

Typical life cycle according to depth of discharge graph.

image_fc0ffd11-b258-4ba0-87dd-925a8992eb52_480x480.jpg

1612734638489.png

Lithium Batteries are the future,

(keep checking back for the latest news/edits)

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --

we already have them in phones, tablets, laptops, vape sticks, Tesla cars . . . . and now cars & Vans.

There have been a couple of versions of Lithium batteries . . . . and some scare stories associated with them.

wiki - Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia

in a nutshell the previous types had some issues:
liPo (main use in RC) cells needed a fire proof back when charging. (i had one go up in flames after crashing the RC car and the cell went flying through the air and smashed on the conreat, started gassing off then flames . . . . not good!

The new kid on the block is LiFePO4

(Lithium iron phosphate battery - Wikipedia)

its chemistry is safe to use and is looking like a great replacement for your SLA/EFB+/AGM leisure battery setup.

Why Lithium? . . . . well a normal lead acid battery only has 50% usable capacity, that means you can only use 55ah out of a 110ah battery.

so you would need 2x110ah Lead acid batteries to be comparable to 1x 110ah lithium.

extreamly high charge/discahrge rates . . . so you can charge them fast and draw large loads from them without the Voltage sag associated with normal battery. (ie large inverters, pumps, winches, coffee machines etc)

4000 - 10000 charge/discharge cycles - so effectively they could last 10-20years or longer. (lead acid will last 3-5 years)

most have built in BMS (battery monitoring system) and fancy blutooth monitors.

100% DOD - so you can use all the power.

next to no voltdrop or volt sag under load . . . . which is nice.

they are super lightweight compared to standard batteries.

Most LiFepo4 batteries with integrated BMS`s may work fine with your existing charger/solar/dc-dc charger. (But not via SCR/Smart alternator - see later in thread)

Two things to note is that you cant charge them if the temp is below 0degC . . . . some have internal heaters, some chargers like the victron have programable LTD Low-Temp cut outs, so its not realy a major concern. Also most need a separate LBD "Low Battery Voltage Disconnect"

There are some solutions to these later on.

So when looking for a lithium battery, look for these stats:

How many charge cycles untill 80% health, (cheaper ones have less)
How many real Ah capacity (not equivalent Lead acid capacity)
Integrated BMS? (nearly all have)
Can you add more batteries in parallel/series.? (most are 2-4 max per bank in series, and many more in parrallel)
Can it use a EHU standard charger? (most will, using a lithium profile)
Physical size and dimensions
whats the charge/discharge temp range? (most cant be charged below 0degC)
You may need a LBD (Low battery disconnect)
You may need a LTD (low temp charge disconnect)
Most will self discharge at 1-2% per month
Most like to be stored charged 50-100%
All will be permanently damaged if run totally flat and left without recharge.

here are some current available options, and users of them. --- WHOS GOT WHAT ---

Victron SuperPack, - was the original daddy - but expensive and lacks features.

TN is a new player - cheaper, but less total charge cycles (awaiting a review) (@Farnorthsurfer has one )

Relion - tried & Tested (built in heater)(possibly my fav, but expensive)

LifOS - smaller capacities (nice APP tho) (@ROMANY TAMPIN has one fitted)

Valence U-Charge XP® Series -( Valence U2712Xp lifepo4 lithium battery v2 - Green), can be found cheap on ebay etc (Valence U27-12XP @Dellmassive has three (@Discobadger has two , @Hickey has one )

Valence U-Charge XP® Series -( Valence U2712Xp lifepo4 lithium battery v1 - Black), can be found cheap on ebay etc - @Deaks has two

Epsilon SB12V1200Wh-M- (built in heater) (possibly my new fav, awesome spec but expensive)(@Salty Spuds has one)

Ultramax - 100Ah 12V LiFePO4 LITHIUM BATTERY (untested)

PowerTech - Lithium-Ion Battery 12V – 100Ah – 1.28kWh – PowerBrick+ (untested)

Renogy - 12V 100AH SMART LITHIUM IRON PHOSPHATE BATTERY (@OllieGBR , @Rapt0rUK has one )

Poweroad Infinity Lithium - 12v 100ah (bluetooth monitor)

Poweroad Infinity Lithium subzero - 12v 100ah (with heater)(bluetooth monitor) - @Dellmassive @DEH has one

others - updates will follow as more info is available.

Valence U-Charge XP® Series (12v 45Ah - 144Ah)
U-Charge® XP for 12V, 24V, 36V, 48V up to 1kV Battery

TN Power LiFePO4 battery 100ah
Product Page | travelvolts
(cheaper but has less charge/discharge cycles than some others)
https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/amfile/file/download/file_id/451/product_id/8649/
''''

Victron SuperPack,
Lithium SuperPack batteries - an all in one solution - Victron Energy

Relion - 12V 100AH RELION LITHIUM ION BATTERY RB100
12v 100AH Relion Lithium ion Battery RB100

LifOS -
LiFOS Advanced Lithium Power (https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/231bdcf7/files/uploaded/Lifos 68 V2 - A4 Brochure.pdf)
68AH Lithium Battery

PowerTech - Lithium-Ion Battery 12V – 100Ah – 1.28kWh – PowerBrick+
Lithium-Ion Battery 12V - 100Ah - 1.28kWh - PowerBrick+ / LiFePO4

Ultramax - 100Ah 12V LiFePO4 LITHIUM BATTERY
Ultramax 100Ah 12V LITHIUM LiFePO4 Battery for Leisure: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Epsilon SB12V1200Wh-M
Super B

Epsilon Lightweight Lithium Ion energy / traction battery, 12,5 kg | Super B

Renogy - 12V 100AH SMART LITHIUM IRON PHOSPHATE BATTERY
12V 100Ah Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery (Back Order)

Polinvel Novel BT 100A 12v Lifepo4 : LiFePO4 battery Bluetooth Novel Series 12V 100Ah

Charging a LifePo4 Battery:

Most chargers now days have a lithium charge profile.
Which seems to be CC/CV and two stages Absorption and float. And a voltage of around 14.2-14.6v absorption and 13.8v float. (check you battery spec sheet)

My battery spec was to charge at 14.6v .... but my chargers are at 14.2v (default lithium profile).... this hasn't been an issue and the battery charged fine.

So any dc-dc or charger with a lithium profile will work..... technically any charger will work provided its CC/CV and at the correct voltage 14.2v -14.6v ish (check you battery spec sheet),(but it might not fully charge it properly if not set to a lithium charge profile) but Im just a bit happier knowing I had the charger set to a lithium profile. So it doesn't seem critical about the voltage, as long as it's over 14.0v... (infact when charging I never saw more than 14.0 across the battery terminals, because as the voltage in the battery rises to near the supply voltage the current drops off.) ( the charger was putting out 14.2 and the battery was sitting at 14.1v 100% charged)

Also without a DC-DC a large lithium flat battery will cause a massive load on any alternator or SCR as shown on the victron testing video below, so be warned ! without a DC-DC you could damage your alternator/SCR setup . . . Also the lithium's sit at a higher charged rest voltage, mines at 13.8v so you defiantly dont want to add it to a system with a SCR and a AGM starter battery at 12.4V - the lithium will try and discharge into the AGM starter . . . . . so id say a DC-DC is a must for Lifepo4. . . . . some manufacturers say you dont need a special charger and they will charge off the alternator, which is true to a degree, but as you see below victron vid there is a very good chance you will fry your alternator and SCR. The other thing is most Lithiums state the max charge voltage is 14.6v (going above this will damage the battery) . . . . with our smart alternators we see 15.0v during regeng braking (most internal BMS will disconnect the battery at high voltage, but thats a safety thing and not for every day use.) . . . . . So can we use a Lifepo4 battery on a T6 EU6 without a DC-DC charger? - - - - simple answer is no.

My battery started at 12.8v ...
Which was basically about 10% charged.... then showed a gradual rise as it was charging... and ended up at 14.0v..... then dropped to 13.8v after resting a while.

I also tried it on the victron mppt 100/20 solar on the shed.... that worked fine too...... I just changed the battery type in the victron mppt 100/20 menu to lithium....it started charging up go the max current it could....which yesterday was about 8-12amps.

FWIW I'll be upgrading my redarc bcdc1240 DC-DC charger for the bcdc1250d because the new one has a lithium charge profile and built in MPPT, but ill still be using a 3rd party Victron MPPT. also the increased 50A charge rate will decrease the recharge time(running on the OEM 80Afuse/100Arelay / feed cables from the factory SCR setup (fuses and relay have been removed)).

**********************************************************************************
You may also need these depending on your usage scenario: (more details later in thread)

You may need a LBD (Low battery disconnect)
You may need a LTD (low temp charge disconnect)

************************************************************************************

Why you should not charge a LiFePO4 battery below 0 degrees

If you have a Lithium (LiFePO4) battery, there are some things to consider when charging under extreme temperature
conditions.
Lithium battery manufacturers often state an operational temperature range of -30°C to +80°C / -22°F to +176°F
and an optimal temperature range of -10°C to +50°C / 14°F to 122°F (this varies depending on brand and
model, consult your manufacturer). This is often misconstrued as a safe temperature range for both charging and
discharging, this is not the case. The operational temperature range is referring to discharging the battery only.
Charging a Lithium battery in ambient temperatures below 0°C / 32°F must be avoided. The reason for this is it may
potentially damage the battery and / or reduce its lifespan.

The optimum ambient temperature for charging a Lithium battery is +5°C to +45°C / 41°F to 113°F.

When attempting to charge a Lithium battery below 0°C / 32°F a chemical reaction referred to as “Lithium Plating”
occurs. Lithium plating is caused by the charge current forcing the lithium ions to move at a faster reaction rate and
accumulate on the surface of the anode.

When this chemical reaction occurs, the internal resistance of the battery increases and reduces the rate of chemical
metabolism. This chemical reaction causes a permanent reduction of the battery’s capacity and will continue to
reduce its capacity each time this reaction occurs.

If you plan on using a Lithium battery in a location that may drop below 0°C / 32°F, you must be cautious as to when
you attempt to charge the battery. Simply waiting for the temperature to raise during the day is a simple solution.
Having the batteries mounted in a location that will have a higher ambient temperature than outside temperature is
also advisable.

Having a battery management system that can monitor the batteries temperature will be beneficial and convenient.
With the touch of a button you can see what the standing temperature of the battery is and therefore whether it is
safe to charge.

Why you should not charge a lithium battery below 0 | REDARC Electronics

**************************************************************************************

LiFePO4 Battery Buyers Guide! Battleborn vs. Renogy vs. DIY vs. Simpliphi and more!

How to not blow up your Alternator when charging Lithium

View attachment 37870

View attachment 37871

The 2019 Nobel Prize in Chemistry - Lithium Ion Batteries

Diagrams, Schematics & Wires -- How I Done It --

From my experience these are the IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT LITHIUM batteries:

DO NOT OVER CHARGE THEM, (USE A CHARGER FIT FOR PURPOSE)

DO NOT RUN THEM 100% FLAT, (TRY TO RECHARGE BEFORE 10-20%)

STORE THEM AT 50% IF PUT INTO STORAGE FOR A TIME,

USE THE CORRECT CHARGER / METHOD, (LITHIUM PROFILE OR SUPPLIED CHARGER)

DO NOT SUBJECT THEM TO HIGH TEMPS (IN VAN/CAR/TENT/CAMPER ETC) (KEEP BELOW 30degC) **** MOST IMPORTANT ****

DO NOT SUBJECT THEM TO VERY LOW TEMPS/FREEZING (IN VAN/CAR/TENT/CAMPER ETC) (below 0degC)

DONT LET THEM GET WET (IE OUT IN THE RAIN) UNLESS THEY ARE IP RATED

STICK WITH A KNOWN BRAND NAMES,

REMEMBER YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, SO CHEAP UNBRANDED IMPORTS MAY HAVE SUBSTANDARD PARTS THAT MAY HAVE FAILED QUALITY CONTROL WITH OTHER MANUFACTURERS.

STAY AWAY FROM LIPO CELLS. (older lithium tech)

So basically, stick to lead-acid. LiFePO4, No good inside the van on a hot day and no good underneath getting wet and freezing.

So basically, stick to lead-acid. LiFePO4, No good inside the van on a hot day and no good underneath getting wet and freezing.
There are challenges with LiFePO4, no doubt - but for me the advantages outweigh these.
100% capacity availability, massive weight savings, no drop in voltage during usage, (therefore devices sensitive to 12v not cutting out) and thousands of more charge cycles.

Hi everyone, what are your thoughts on these, particularly the 200ah - 120a version designed to fit in a T6 seat base?

735D1113-B8EE-40F1-82C4-55202F41393A.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi everyone, what are your thoughts on these, particularly the 200ah - 120a version designed to fit in a T6 seat base?

View attachment 108766

I've never heard of them before. . .

the spec seems to have all the right numbers . . . . . but until we see inside one you have no idea what's inside.?

it could be junk inside. . . . it could be good.?

They don't state the cell tech? 18650? pouch cell?

there's some details missing . . . but one to watch. . . .

id want to see one in the wild first and defiantly a YouTube teardown video at some point. (if they any good that will happen)

For a significant investment that should last the life of he van, I'd want a second opinion - as Dell states, from a YouTube teardown perhaps.
I like the idea of a specific undersea design, what are you powering that requires 200AH?

Back