Lithium LifePo4 12v Batteries - Time For An Upgrade?

Dedicated thread created for those batteries to leave this thread as a more generic Lithium thread. . ..

Valence U27-12XP Lifepo4 Lithium Battery -- How We Done It --

** NEW PRODUCT **

20A AC-TO-DC LFP PORTABLE BATTERY CHARGER

1600624840434.png

1600624853449.png

DESCRIPTION
The Renogy 20A AC-to-DC Charger is an automatic, portable charger intended for 12V Lithium-iron phosphate (LFP) batteries. It includes 12AWG alligator clips and outputs power based on the battery's power, voltage, and current condition. The unit's status indicator light illustrates the connected battery's operating mode and condition. The Portable LFP charger automatically monitors and maintains the battery at full charge.

If you have any questions regarding this product, please call us at 1 (909) 287-7111 or email support@renogy.com.

KEY FEATURES
  • Automatic LFP Battery Charging with a wide input voltage range
  • Easy-to-understand LED indicator for charge status
  • Simple Plug-and-Play Technology with Alligator Clips
  • Compatible with Renogy 12.8V Lithium Batteries
  • Electronic Protections and Lithium Activation
PACKAGE INCLUDES
20A AC-to-DC LFP Portable Battery Charger
RBC20A1P.jpg
1 x

Victron SuperPack 100ah LiFePo4 Lithium Battery Bluetooth

1600712653173.png

and

* NEW PRODUCT **

New Temp & Humid monitor, £15 !!!

Better range, better APP, better battery life, more data resolution . . . . and now if finally sends you alerts to your phone !!!

great for beer & food fridges, also Lithium Battery & van temp monitoring.

T6-Logo.og.png
Fridges & Cold Beer -- How I Done It --
@Dellmassive Did that bag for your 35l Dometic? If so would you mind sharing where you got it from please. Might get one for mine
www.t6forum.com
www.t6forum.com

I snapped up a couple of these yesterday and they arrived same day.

Have you had any problems waking them up at all? Had a play with it in the house and all working fine. Stuck it in the van overnight and can't connect to this morning even with it next to the phone... Looks like it needs waking up but there's no buttons etc to press on the device itself??

EDIT*

Sorted it, turns out you need both Bluetooth and location services (GPS) switched on to connect.

Last edited:
no issues with mine . . . did have a "APP issue" to start with but contacted developer and a new version was released in 24hrs !!!

anyway, post some data on the other thread when you had it running for a week.

did you stick it next to your Lifepo4 battery?

Hiya.
Brand new unit.
I already have some of the other previous sensor pro sensors... small round, and one with lcd screen. Etc.. but problem here....
The history view when displaying in C is about 10degc out?
Live room temp is 23degC.
But history shows 13degC.
Please can you fix it...
Or how do we fix it?
Looks like F scale is OK?

Many thanks.

1600947166916.png

So thinking of sticking a 12v 20w enclosure heater under my seat with the battery to keep it warm as i am working in the highlands and last year we hit -9 some mornings up the mountain but i dont know if that`s going to keep the area under the seat warm enough to keep the battery happy. your thoughts chaps

Get a temperature sensor to monitor the temps.

Get a thermostat to control the heater.

So thinking of sticking a 12v 20w enclosure heater under my seat with the battery to keep it warm as i am working in the highlands and last year we hit -9 some mornings up the mountain but i dont know if that`s going to keep the area under the seat warm enough to keep the battery happy. your thoughts chaps
Could you use some sort of 12v heat pad to keep the battery warm?

Think @Dell has linked to something similar in the past?

Just seen that the new Battleborn batteries just coming out all have internal heating, so that having to think about charging in low temperature is a thing of the past. Be a while before I'll be upgrading to one of those though, they're not cheap!

Yep.... the top end batteries have internal heaters.....but at £1000+ you pay for it !!!

So for the meantime we will have to diy.... =)

Could you use some sort of 12v heat pad to keep the battery warm?

Think @Dell has linked to something similar in the past?

yep, start by getting a bluetooth temp sensor . . . . to see if you actually NEED a heater pad . . or any type of charge disconnect.

1606737134963.png

its only lithium charging that may be an issue below 0deg C . . . . .

the cheap answer is to just fit an isolator switch inline with the charge source . . . .

using the battery under load for 3-5mins will generate enough internal heat to flick the isolator back on and start charging like normal . . .

remember heat pads draw power from the battery and could run it low/flat.

these were the heat pads we were looking at before.

1606737429628.png

running through a thermostat switch.

like one of these:

1606737506546.png

here's my van battery Temp logging . . .

the sensor is velcro ed to the battery . . .

so far I've not seen below 3 degC - but its not yet proper winter yet =]

1606737696190.png1606737708557.png

yep, start by getting a bluetooth temp sensor . . . . to see if you actually NEED a heater pad . . or any type of charge disconnect.

View attachment 93569

its only lithium charging that may be an issue below 0deg C . . . . .

the cheap answer is to just fit an isolator switch inline with the charge source . . . .

using the battery under load for 3-5mins will generate enough internal heat to flick the isolator back on and start charging like normal . . .

remember heat pads draw power from the battery and could run it low/flat.

these were the heat pads we were looking at before.

View attachment 93573

running through a thermostat switch.

like one of these:

View attachment 93574

I need something like this for my battery as it’s too cold Presently and the van is not being used. Seams a simple setup, have you tried it yet?
I’m in the process of correcting all of my incorect wiring, so seams like a good time to give this a go.

Yep...

Well sort off.

ATM I've fitted a Bluetooth temp monitor and a isolator switch.. (I've got an AGM under the seat atm)

The idea is is it gets bellow zero, then i can switch the isolator switch off for half hour while the van/battery warms up......then switch it on...

Remember is problem is only with Lifepo4 battery's with no internal heater.... and Only when charging!

Discharging at minus 10degC is not a problem for most batteries.

I've been monitoring the temps . . . And so far in London has only touched 0degC once....

Heres the chart for Oct20 to 2nd January.

Screenshot_20210104-221555_ThermoPlus.jpg

If you are in a colder climate that needs the auto method then any of the ways above work.

Most basic is the 100A relay switched by a simple 12v thermostat. (Shown earlier in thread)

Hi guys, i'm looking at LifePo4 batteries and noticed that often they have a low Max Charge current v's AGM or Lead Acid batteries. I wondered if I wired two LifePO4 up in parallel (same Ah) would the Max charge current Amps increase in the same way the capacity of the battery Ah doubles?

For example a 50Ah LifePO4 with a max charge current on the label of 20Ah for example. Would this mean total 100Ah and ability to charge up to 40Ah (these numbers are fictional by the way).

My reason for this would be that i can be much more flexible in the location of the batteries if i used 2 x smaller ones.

Hi guys, i'm looking at LifePo4 batteries and noticed that often they have a low Max Charge current v's AGM or Lead Acid batteries. I wondered if I wired two LifePO4 up in parallel (same Ah) would the Max charge current Amps increase in the same way the capacity of the battery Ah doubles?

For example a 50Ah LifePO4 with a max charge current on the label of 20Ah for example. Would this mean total 100Ah and ability to charge up to 40Ah (these numbers are fictional by the way).

My reason for this would be that i can be much more flexible in the location of the batteries if i used 2 x smaller ones.
Yes, but in any setting Lifepo4s will charger massively faster than any SLA battery (ie AGM)

20A charge rate is a nice middle ground . . . above this the cables need to be heavy gauge, above 30A things start to get hot quick.

Most Lifepo4 12v Leisure batterys (that contain some form of BMS) are designed to be the same physical size as a 80/100ah SLA batteries.

SLA = remember the charge current is dependant of the internal resistance and voltage of the battery being charged . . . . . as an example a AGM will take say 18A for a short while, but with then start taking less and less during the absorb phase . . . more like 4A . . . . so even with a 40A charger it wont take 40A all the time.

where as Lifpo4 WILL take up to the MAX charge it can handle for 90% of its capacity, then slowly reduce the charge being drawn down to say 2A. . . . . this is where things can get hot. Running a 40A charge rate can get things HOT. . . . running any charger at its MAX will make it warm up.

That depends on the loads/current being drawn and the length of cable run. . .

40A could need 4-10.0mm2 cable depending on length required.

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --
VIP Membership | VW T6 Forum - The Dedicated VW Transporter T6 Forum
For Sale - Summer-weekend-t6f Limited Edition External Stickers
For Sale - T6F Flags

Back